8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

I'm getting there. Deleted the files but the "Restore" from TomTomHome didn't work, so I copied the root files from my backup and at least now the unit is back up and running. The US maps are now missing but I should be able to re-install. Thanks for the help.

Well, I can not get 8.3 to work on my 920. I've re-downloaded and re-installed several times and all it does is constantly reboot. I got it to come up successfully one time but it went into the reboot loop the next time the unit was restarted. Thankfully, no problem getting back to 8.01 and based on the problems noted on this thread, I'm not sure I want 8.3. However, is there a version file I can edit to make the unit appear to be on 8.3 so that TOMTOM Home won't constantly include 8.3 on the update page?

Unfortunately we had no option but to remove this function to comply with UK Legislation specifically relating to "FM transmitters are not allowed to occupy an FM frequency if nothing is being transmitted" therefore this was deemed that spoken instructions are not consistent transmissions.

If this is truly the reason, then it is complete and utter idiocy on TomTom's part. They have two very simple solutions. The first has already been pointed out in this thread:

* Disable the instructions by FM if the user is on a UK map

The second may already have been pointed out too, but I don't have time to check it:

* Disable the FM transmitter between instructions when using a UK map (meaning UK users would still be able to get instructions by FM too, they'd just hear static in between instructions).

Disabling the feature for all users worldwide based on a law specific to one country is beyond stupid.

If this is truly the reason, then it is complete and utter idiocy on TomTom's part.
Disabling the feature for all users worldwide based on a law specific to one country is beyond stupid.
You will find that it is a European directive and thusly affects considerably more people then the rest of the "world wide users".
Secondly the company offering the product is based in The Netherlands and must obey the laws of the land.
To make a small number of units for North America and the bulk for the rest of the wiold may not be cost effective.
Worse is the potential of grey market imports to Europe leaving TomTom open to laws suits.
This is a business decision most likely, as apparent nonsensical ones in the US, dictated by counsel.
pribeiro said:
Same thing where with my GO530, I've selected this model/brand due to this instructions over FM feature (with background music).

I think It's a clear violation of consumer rights to disable features highlighted when the product was sold without even ask permission to the user.
I think you are mistaken when you say they disable features.
They have not done anything to change the unit from the way you purchased it.

It is you, who wants the upgrade. They are not forcing you to install it.
And we know, that by going back to 8.010, the functionality as purchased is restored.

By your upgrading you have made the change.

Going back to the slowness after the upgrade... I've noticed if you disable Traffic, it runs smoother. Otherwise the screen doesn't "flow" as well, it jumps. If that makes sense...

A new firmware 8.3 is being offered to x20 users in the UK this morning. It seems to replace a 8.2 firmware version that was meant only for x40 models there (not available in NA) but, somehow, got in the hands of x20 and x30 users there with some negative results.

If this same firmware is offered here in North America, I'd suggest not even considering dl and implementing it unless you have a full Explorer backup of your unit's contents prior to doing the dl of 8.3

I do not know any information about changed functionality in 8.3 over the current 8.010 at this time.

-------------------------

Apparently, 8.3 offers what is referred to in the UK as IQv2 routing where it takes into consideration not only the day of the week but the TIME of the day as well......The catch is that this works only for v8.15 maps or higher but, at this point, there is NO 8.15 map, only 8.10.

Also, handling of 8 gig sdhc cards and larger is now supposedly implemented in 8.3 (up from 4 gigs).

8.3 has your next turn located on the upper right of the screen. It is no longer at the bottom. The major bad this is the fact that if your next turn has alot of words it it their is a change in the font size to as small as a size 3 font which is impossible to read by anyone over 50 or has bad eyes. My suggestion is to not download this application until at least this problem is fixed

All wright,reporting back. After using clear flash utility problem displaying POI resolved.Also voice stuttering got fixed.Another note, i noticed that with 8.30 cell phone interface got much more stable.I haven't had a problem with hands free after installing the update( I'm using blackberry 8320) That leads to a question-do you think that utility has to be used periodically? I would hate to find TT mincing words while I'm 500 miles away from home.Thanks for help.

I found one more quirk with 8.3. I had to re-set up my Blackberry for hands-free and data, but when my 920 copied my phone book, in only brought the numbers - not the names.

I looked at the "contacts' folder on both the unit and a windows backup, and found the backup file had the names and simply copied it over. However, the names are in a large type, and the phone numbers themselves are very small - I thought I remembered them as being the same previously.

I am not going to 815 maps any time soon, but I like the restored functionality of "Operate My Go"/Plus Services, which had been disabled in 8.01.

This evening I also noticed that not only can you not adjust the volume in TomTom Jukebox but it's fixed at the highest setting, distorting sound out of the Line Out jack no matter what volume the car is set to. That's disappointing; so much for my high-quality MP3s!

Just got off the phone with Support. This is a common problem. Many people have been able to fix this problem by going through a meticulous list of steps to reinstall firmware 7.481 and then upgrade from that to 8.300. Additional fixes are planned for a firmware release next week.

Just got off the phone with Support. This is a common problem. Many people have been able to fix this problem by going through a meticulous list of steps to reinstall firmware 7.481 and then upgrade from that to 8.300. Additional fixes are planned for a firmware release next week.
Is giving us instructions over FM back one of those fixes?!?!?

By the way, no joy on the supposed workaround. Lost half my settings in the process (but oddly not my Favorites list).

You will find that it is a European directive and thusly affects considerably more people then the rest of the "world wide users".

Ummm - how can the European market alone possibly be larger than the worldwide market as a whole? It can't, because it is part of that larger market itself.

Secondly the company offering the product is based in The Netherlands and must obey the laws of the land.
To make a small number of units for North America and the bulk for the rest of the wiold may not be cost effective.

You do realise this device is a GPS, and hence knows its own location, right?

Worse is the potential of grey market imports to Europe leaving TomTom open to laws suits.

a) That's complete and utter codswallop. TomTom would no more be liable for an illegally imported unit than it would be for the illegal grey market import of a device containing lead-based solder in violation of the EU directives against that. A company cannot be held liable for something it has no control over. Many companies doing business in the EU continue to sell products with lead-based solder outside of the EU, even though those products too *could* be imported illegally.

b) It is also completely beside the point. The device itself is a GPS. It can easily determine whether or not it is being used outside the EU - and if it detects that it is outside the EU it is a matter of a few lines of code to reenable the feature that TomTom's users outside the EU have already paid for.

c) If what you claimed was true (which it isn't), then TomTom are still currently liable anyway. All I need do is place an MP3 file of silence on the unit, and play it via FM transmitter. Guess what - my TomTom would now be transmitting silence via FM in violation of that local (be it EU or UK) law. I could do it today, with a UK-sourced TomTom running the latest firmware. TomTom wouldn't be liable for it, any more than they'd be liable for a grey import device that had the feature enabled, or any more than they'd be liable for a TomTom user on old firmware in the UK who hadn't upgraded.

This is a business decision most likely, as apparent nonsensical ones in the US, dictated by counsel.

No, this is almost certainly the result of a sudden change pushed through with absolutely no planning or forethought whatsoever. The reason for that rush may be because of counsel, but the fact of the matter is that it would be easy for TomTom to have complied with the law satisfactorily and yet *not* upset its user base, with little to no additional cost.

I think you are mistaken when you say they disable features.
They have not done anything to change the unit from the way you purchased it.

Yes, they have. When I purchased the device, it could play directions by FM transmitter, and offered the possibility to upgrade its maps. Now it cannot. Either I keep the FM transmitter and can no longer upgrade my maps, or I lose the FM transmitter but can upgrade my maps.

It is you, who wants the upgrade. They are not forcing you to install it.
And we know, that by going back to 8.010, the functionality as purchased is restored.

By your upgrading you have made the change.

Except that by not upgrading I lose access to TomTom's updated maps, plus the other features such as 24/7 IQ Routing that they enable.

You are being very disingenuous by claiming otherwise, and you are also ignoring the fact that TomTom has three very simple ways to comply with the law (either used separately or together) that would retain the feature for the majority of uses.

a) Don't disable the FM transmitter for instructions completely - just disable it when it is not in active use (ie. don't transmit "silence", just transmit the instructions and/or music and disable the transmitter in between).

b) Only enable the new FM transmitter functionality when the device is set to use UK / European maps as applicable.

c) Only enable the new FM transmitter functionality when the device detects with its built-in GPS receiver that it is located in the UK and/or Europe as applicable.

All of the above could very easily be achieved in software by TomTom's programmers.

Ummm - how can the European market alone possibly be larger than the worldwide market as a whole?
If one sells the bulk of ones products in one market then that market is larger than all other markets combined.
No, this is almost certainly the result of a sudden change pushed through with absolutely no planning or forethought whatsoever. The reason for that rush may be because of counsel, but the fact of the matter is that it would be easy for TomTom to have complied with the law satisfactorily and yet *not* upset its user base, with little to no additional cost.
So you are a lawyer versed in Europeamn Comminity law.
Yes, they have. When I purchased the device, it could play directions by FM transmitter, and offered the possibility to upgrade its maps.
And since TT did not touch your device it can still do that if left as sold by TT.
Except that by not upgrading I lose access to TomTom's updated maps, plus the other features such as 24/7 IQ Routing that they enable.
Those new features are made available by TT but it is solely your decision to accept them or not. If you accept them you, not TT has disabled the features.
You are being very disingenuous by claiming otherwise,
Read the foregoing again.
and you are also ignoring the fact that TomTom has three very simple ways to comply with the law (either used separately or together) that would retain the feature for the majority of uses.

a) Don't disable the FM transmitter for instructions completely - just disable it when it is not in active use (ie. don't transmit "silence", just transmit the instructions and/or music and disable the transmitter in between).

b) Only enable the new FM transmitter functionality when the device is set to use UK / European maps as applicable.

c) Only enable the new FM transmitter functionality when the device detects with its built-in GPS receiver that it is located in the UK and/or Europe as applicable.

All of the above could very easily be achieved in software by TomTom's programmers.
Aha, now you are a progammer who can make simple changes.

Please do offer your services to TomTom and then go ahead and fix all those simple problems that have crept up since 8.3 ans 7.9.
It may have escaped your attention but since the introduction of those the TT forums are flooded with messages about items that are now broken but were working before.

After that you can go and simply implement your suggested changes.
You will find a grateful bunch of TT users for doing so.

Quick question. I just ordered a TomTom Go 720. If I upgrade it to the 8.30 FW and 8.15 maps, what is the difference then between the 720 and 730? They then functionally appear to identical (unless I'm missing something). Thanks!

Quick question. I just ordered a TomTom Go 720. If I upgrade it to the 8.30 FW and 8.15 maps, what is the difference then between the 720 and 730? They then functionally appear to identical (unless I'm missing something). Thanks!

720 is Silver/Black and the 730 is Black all over. I'm not sure what TomTom's intentions are with the 730. So far the 730 is nothing more than an overpriced 720. The x30 series might have certain camera subscriptions you can sign up for but I' not too sure on that.

Last edited:

Ask a Question