8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

I was able to eliminate statter on 920 by removing European maps.Before i had 198 MB of free space, now It's 1914.7 MB. Statter gone.

I was able to eliminate statter on 920 by removing European maps.Before i had 198 MB of free space, now It's 1914.7 MB. Statter gone.

Yeah well,... I've got a lot more free space than that and don't have Europe installed; I still get intermittant telegraphic speech out of it. Or should I say, "tele

gr

aph

i

c"?

It is ?

NavCore 8.204 for x40 units

So what is it ?? Cause the 8.204 runs proper.

Some have complaints bout 8.3 , quite a few don't. Can't figure out
what exactly is causing you to go "nuts".

Huh? I said it's nuts that TomTom has been promising fixes but none have come out yet. I had to resort to using the 8.2 OS to get my unit running smoothly and stutter free. The refresh rate is better than ever. I'm lovin it!

8.3 still not fixed yet? Went back to the previous version. Works perfectly. I guess the IQ routes are a little better with 8.3 but at a horrible cost for me. Recalculations are sluggish, voice stutters and movement of the map is jerky. Let me know when this is fixed.

Text-to-speech broken, voices stutter

Upgraded my 720 to 8.300 last week. First thing I noticed was that the US computer voice (Susan?) no longer worked right. Lots of phrases were cutoff mid-word, some had the volume up so high the speaker broke up, and she stopped reading street names.

"Recorded" voices still kinda work. Some choppiness in the commands, and early warnings stop after the first utterance (so "In a quarter mile..." becomes "In").

I installed a brand new computer voice (UK English) and a couple new voices, but they don't work either.

The "downgrade" path for me is all the way back to 7.221, as I am lucky enough to have a device for whom 7.481 also did not work.

I'll try a pin reset first, though.

Downgrade tomtom 930 firmware

Does anyone know how I downgrade the Tom tom 930 firmware 8.3 to 8.2. I upgraded it by accident and I have no backup!!!
Shame on me!

I really aprecciate any help!

Double check in TT HOME. I thought I was sunk when I went from 7.5 to 7.9 on my 300. Looked through HOME and found that it had kept a copy of the previous firmware versions. I may have found it in the backup & restore option. I do remember there were three firmware entries with version numbers available. I was able to copy the older one to the device.

I am running 8.3 and maps 8.15...how do I know for certain that 24/7 IQ routes is running...is there a setting somewhere or is this just built in and I am to assume that it is funtional?

I saw that lane guidance is working since it has a setting to turn on or off

I am running 8.3 and maps 8.15...how do I know for certain that 24/7 IQ routes is running.
I think it only works if you selected Fastest route.
When your machine finished calculating the route you get the following screen and you can see that IQ Routes had been applied.

View attachment 2344

The time shows as GMT as I was using HOME for this example.

Last edited:
You will know if IQ routes 2 is working if it indicates not only the date but also the time of route.
Yes, you are right. Robm said he was using 8.3 and 815.
I should have pointed out that after acknowledging Fastest route the next screen asked
( o ) Now
( _ ) Specific date and time
( _ ) No specific date and time

920 stutter

Try a pin reset.

I did the pin reset... no change. Stutter renders device unusable. Have ditched the 920.

My 920 was under warranty and TT offered to RMA the unit with a back-level device; but that negates the one year map update I had, which expires in the end of January. I can't complain about TT support; but the development issue and the timeframe for the potential fix, along with my expiring map guarantee made the whole thing too iffy.

I'll try a 930, but am not very encouraged right now, based on what I am reading here. If the 930 doesn't work, I'll get some other brand. I don't have time to mess with this thing.

I've got GPS on my Blackberry, and it works "pretty good". It's also flakey at times, not able to get satellite signal or problems with the Server.

Am starting to research Garmin again. I got a Maggie 3250 for $99 in case nothing else will work. The Maggie is actually a very nice device.

One thing TT still has not addressed, that everyone else has, is the ability to locate addresses with alpha+numeric street numbers, like 7W256 Michael Street. I really wish they would address some of the basics. Like having to know what city a street is on before you can locate it.

On the 920 I could easily duplicate the stutter at will by programming a route and then running the demo. So it should be very easy for the programmers at TT to replicate and fix.

WOW! What craziness have I been missing!!! Got to admit, after reading this thread over the past couple of days, I'm glad to see the bickering died down. :) Like everyone I joined the forum for help and there have been many good points made, but, as a newb who's content to use the FM TX (since I purchased this unit partly to have that ability as an option, even if I wasn't using it), I have a request... Could someone be a dear and post a smidge of useful info for me??? Like, say... the best and most direct link to contact TT support (a.k.a. 'Complaint Hotline' lol) so that I can join the effort to let TT know that we're not happy about losing capabilities when we 'upgrade'. I have experience with letter writing campaigns! ;)

Thanks!

The best way that I know of if wrighting is to go to TomTom.com and then my support and you can then e-mail but there might be an address you you can snail-mail to.
I am not sure.;) Perhaps a contact us on there website.

The best way that I know of if wrighting is to go to TomTom.com and then my support and you can then e-mail but there might be an address you you can snail-mail to.
I am not sure.;) Perhaps a contact us on there website.
Oosterdoksstraat 114
1011 DK Amsterdam
The Netherlands
================
TomTom Inc.
Ashley Close
150 Baker Ave. Ext.
Concord, MA 01742
Tel. 978-405-1822

720 fm transmitter glitch

Maybe this is known knowledge by others but I just discovered a glitch today with the 720 I have the following firmware and software below.
App:8.301(9736/090114)
GPSv: 1.20
Boot: 5.5015
Map: North America v815.2019

My discovery is that this version of the firmware still allows turn by turn instructions as long as you navigate to the fm transmitter page it will broadcast over the radio. If you leave that page then it only transmit through the internal speaker. So there appears to be a glitch with their software so maybe someone will figure out a way to hack this someday or TomTom will stop punishing the US market and renable this feature. I would love to see if someone else can replicate this issue with the same firmware.

Ask a Question