8.3 Upgrade offered for x20 and x30 units

I swear it used to work but now I can't run a POI search on anything other than the after-market POIs. OV2's I've added are just fine (e.g. Baskin Robbins, FedEx-Kinkos), but I can't search any of the built-in POIs. The POIs are there, though. I can bring up the category list and see all the Starbucks and McDonalds in the area, I just don't get any search results from "starb" or "mcd"

Anyone else noticed this? I'm downloading a new map per TomTom Support's recommendation but I'm wondering if perhaps there's a strange interaction between TomTom HOME 2.5.1 and GO 920 firmware 8.300.

Sounds like you have been "tweaked" your unit, m8.
The problem described above sounds just like you have been using either pirated maps or corrupted patched ttsystem file ;)

Sounds like you have been "tweaked" your unit, m8.
The problem described above sounds just like you have been using either pirated maps or corrupted patched ttsystem file ;)

Nope, no tweaking; just added OV2 POIs using TomTom HOME.

Re-downloading the map seems to have restored my unit to normal operation for now; I'll post here again if I see the problem come back.

Not if you follow the link in post # 188 by dhn.
So, just go, download the cab file and double click on it after having made
a complete backup with Windows Explorer.

Thanks
Now I not sure what you mean W Explorer back up (unless you mean Copy and Paste)
I did Back up from Tom Tom Software

Thanks
Now I not sure what you mean W Explorer back up (unless you mean Copy and Paste)
I did Back up from Tom Tom Software
From information received from others in all kind of fora, TomTom BU is insufficient.

Yes, Copy and Paste.
Please do follow the advice dhn has repeated again for you.

I ended up just installing NavCore 8.203 which is meant for the x40 units. I'll use this version for now since it's running beautifully until. I'll go back to the proper version once TomTom fixes their software.

My refresh rate is amazing compared to 8.3. One thing that really caught me off guard is the fact that ALL of the icons in the OS changed. I don't know whether I like them or not but I guess I just have to get used to them since I'm used to speeding through the menus by just looking at the icons.

The drawback with using this OS version is that you lose the ability to use PLUS services, but for me that's not a problem because I don't use these services anyways. I don't have a phone that the TomTom supports. I know this is nothing new to many of you, but just thought I'd share my experience.

Here's a few screenshots for those who have never seen some of the icons.

dump1785618673.jpg

dump1785618674.jpg

dump1785618675.jpg

dump1785618676.jpg

dump1785618677.jpg

dump1785618678.jpg

I ended up just installing NavCore 8.203 [ ... ]
The drawback with using this OS version is that you lose the ability to use PLUS services, but for me that's not a problem because I don't use these services anyways. I don't have a phone that the TomTom supports. I know this is nothing new to many of you, but just thought I'd share my experience.
Thanks for the screen shots.
I understand that the Data services of a cell phone are required for the PLUS services and that the data transmission is built in to the GOx40 units.
If you have it, does the Blutooth functionality still exist to use the 5,7,9xx devices for hands free calling?

BTW, you now have a funny sig line.

Tomtom GO720
4GB Sandisk Extreme II SDHC card
NavCore 8.300.9732
NA v8??

I ended up just installing NavCore 8.203 which is meant for the x40 units. I'll use this version for now since it's running beautifully until. I'll go back to the proper version once TomTom fixes their software.
This version also has the directions over FM disabled as well right?

Thanks for the screen shots.
I understand that the Data services of a cell phone are required for the PLUS services and that the data transmission is built in to the GOx40 units.
If you have it, does the Blutooth functionality still exist to use the 5,7,9xx devices for hands free calling?

BTW, you now have a funny sig line.

Tomtom GO720
4GB Sandisk Extreme II SDHC card
NavCore 8.300.9732
NA v8??

Fixed sig. Gonna go and try hands free. My TT has been giving me trouble lately when it tries to sync with any phone. It'll just freeze at 40%

Now hopefully the problem has been fixed. Will report back in a few min.

Edit : WOW! The hands free actually works again. Once it asked to connect to my Sidekick 2008, it zoomed to 100% when it was checking for phone features. All is great!

Last edited:
Fixed sig. Gonna go and try hands free. My TT has been giving me trouble lately when it tries to sync with any phone. It'll just freeze at 40%

Now hopefully the problem has been fixed. Will report back in a few min.

Edit : WOW! The hands free actually works again. Once it asked to connect to my Sidekick 2008, it zoomed to 100% when it was checking for phone features. All is great!
Congratulations.
I hardly use the unit now but I just may try it next week, just for the hell of it.

I have downloaded the navcore 8.203 and have extracted it. Where do I install the files on my TT920? Do I copy them into the asr file? Do I delete the old firmware 1st? What are the steps? Thanks for the info

First, make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing. Then, overwrite the loose files in the root of the unit with the loose files in the 8.203 release.

Hey,

what did you find out about the map version showing the strange version number ?

PSJ aka Marc

After erasing everything off of my device and reinstalling everything from scratch, I'm back to 815. I don't know what that was all about but I'm happy everything is working. That's all I care about.

Nope, no tweaking; just added OV2 POIs using TomTom HOME.

Re-downloading the map seems to have restored my unit to normal operation for now; I'll post here again if I see the problem come back.

It came back, and this is a known problem with version 8.3. I asked when the fix is coming, and the support rep said about a week. I told her that's what they said two weeks ago -- well, they're supposed to say "about a week" but in truth they don't really know when a release is coming until people start calling in asking for help with it. She said she could downgrade me to 7.481, but that's a bit too far for me to fall.

Last edited:
It came back, and this is a known problem with version 8.3. I asked when the fix is coming, and the support rep said about a week. I told her that's what they said two weeks ago -- well, they're supposed to say "about a week" but in truth they don't really know when a release is coming until people start calling in asking for help with it. She said she could downgrade me to 7.481, but that's a bit too far for me to fall.

This is nuts. TomTom keeps saying they are aware of all of these problems and that a fix is coming SOON but still hasn't come. Everyone has been told 1 week, a few weeks ago. 8.3 = worst upgrade (downgrade) ever!

Ask a Question