720 Just Died this Weekend, Guidance needed..

I only checked D8 on the replacement mother board, mine is all closed up still, I'm waiting on the mini USB receptacles to arrive before I open it up again. I do have a couple of jewelers loupes and sometimes use my Iphone camera zoom. The 6 plus screen is good for looking at small stuff.

A few more items arrived today, they were nice enough to add 2 pieces of solder wick. I have a roll somewhere.

IMG_0282.JPG

Wow -- that is some FAT solder wick! I use the super narrow stuff for any SMT work. Even for larger components like these, I find it's easier to slide the wick as needed to pull up additional solder rather than trying to heat a pound of it to get all of the solder in one shot.

So more stuff arrived today, what the seller failed to inadvertently mention was that the screen registration is waaaaayyyyyyy off! Bottom buttons are only activated from the middle to the top of the screen. But I will say, it's as new as the day it came out of the box, and the receipt from Radio Shack is included showing a purchase price of $399.00 first quarter of 2008. Connects to my Home program and is able to be operated from the home program on the PC. I haven't accepted any GPS, map updates, or map correction updates yet. Is the screen registration corrected by the info in this link, http://www.martin-kolinsky.com/freeinstructionsfordownload/TomTom GPS-Touch screen calibration.pdf or should I just get a new screen, or use my old one? I was able to enter the diagnostics screen, but it gets interrupted by the device wanting to update. So the way around that at the moment is to connect it to the car charger. I am also buying another complete working set-up just to have on hand. when I have time maybe tonight, I'll borrow the screen from my dead one and see if the registration is still off.

Attachments

• IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 287
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
So, we are going to move forward and see what happens.
Here are a few shots of how TomTom handles changing devices on your existing account.

Last edited:
Replaced the mini USB in my original one with a little difficulty, but mine appears to be up and running. There are great differences between the 2 in regards to features, and voices and what the used one will and will not allow me to update from TomTom's main server. Interesting. Tomorrow will tell on my original one.

I'll have to look at that doc. Somewhere here I've provided instructions for creating the calibration files, but that thread hasn't been posted to for quite some time. Searching for 'canderson' and 'calibration' should locate it somewhere around here.

Resistive screens do seem to drift with age, some more than others. Annoying that this wasn't disclosed before the purchase.

I had read that thread already. The screen registration on the spare I bought puts the execution of the bottom buttons like ("yes" or "no" do you want to connect to your computer), in the middle of the screen. So all screen inputs are severely shifted up, putting execution of displayed buttons that are in the middle or higher off the screen all together.
I moved the screen over from my original one to the EBay one, and the EBay one worked fine. I should be very satisfied that my original screen is still going. I remember a few years back when I accepted a device firmware upgrade, the pressure, and response of my original screen were much less sensitive, This requires me to just use the tip of a retracted ball point pen to make my selections.
While using my original screen on the EBay unit, I decided to set up the remote feature so I can continue to explore that device, then I put the bad screen back on original unit. Screens with digitizers are very cheap, so I'm going to just replace it with a new one. The look of the EBay 720 device is different than mine, it has the Work application installed, and Guam maps. The hands logo on the top of the case is a gold tint too, mine is silver. I am unfamiliar with the Work app, although the work app is affecting the emulator when trying to operate the Go on VIA the PC. It was operating the go properly before I accepted the Work update.
Found a short blurb here. https://www.tomtomforums.com/threads/work-application-version-8-395.22585/

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Ask a Question