Xxl 540tm

#1- I could get 1A (or 1000 mA), or I could (without problems) get 5A (or 5000mA), and which wouldn't cause a problem to my TT. Is that correct?
CORRECT

Would 1A (1000 mA) be best?
1A would be good although 1.2A or higher would probably be better because it would charge your TT battery quicker.

#2- I could get over 1000 mAh with no problems. Even 5000 mAh!
The HIGHER the better, with no possible damage to TT. Is that correct?
CORRECT

#3- The voltage is very important. I should make sure no higher than 5V. I notice some say, "5v - 5.5v or 5v - 12v."
Is that okay?
I don?t know, unless the unit is switched whereas you can set it to 5V or flip the switch and then it becomes 12V. You would have to post the product for us to look at.

#4- I could use the EcoSol Powerstick (Capacity 750mAh) with no problems, other than it would not last for 2 hours. Correct?
Conceptually correct although the durations may be off a little

For example 1500mAh means it can give your TT 1.5 A for one hour before the battery dies. Or 3A for 30 min. Or 6A for 15 min.
How much life would 750 mAh give? Less than one hour?
IF your TT required 1.5A (most likely at least double what it really needs for operation if it does not need a charge) then 750mAh would extend usage theoretically by 30min. Yes you are doing the math properly and you seem to understand what is going on.

Can anyone suggest a fairly good portable power stick like the EcoSol Powerstick that would cost less than $50 and have 1000 mAh or higher? Seems like a lot to ask I guess. But then again, my grandson might be able to use it also with his Archos 32 possibly?
The New Trent that was posted earlier looked pretty good. Considering all the good reviews it got it is probably a good bet even though they don?t give a minimal amperage rating.

Sorry, I am still a bitl confused, but let me see if I have it right now:

#1- I could get 1A (or 1000 mA), or I could (without problems) get 5A (or 5000mA), and which wouldn't cause a problem to my TT. Is that correct?
Would 1A (1000 mA) be best?
Both 1A and 5A devices are entirely adequate to both charge and operate your TomTom.

#2- I could get over 1000 mAh with no problems. Even 5000 mAh!
The HIGHER the better, with no possible damage to TT. Is that correct?
Absolutely correct. The more mAh they are quoting (assuming they're accurate, of course!) the better. More mAh means more run time.

#3- The voltage is very important. I should make sure no higher than 5V. I notice some say, "5v - 5.5v or 5v - 12v."
Is that okay?
No device supplying USB power should ever produce anything BUT 5V at the connection to the device. I'd be willing to accept a device that claims 5V~5.5V, but nothing that talks about more than that under any circumstances.

#4- I could use the EcoSol Powerstick (Capacity 750mAh) with no problems, other than it would not last for 2 hours. Correct?
What you have is 1300mAh in the unit. A device that supplies less than that means that you're not even doubling your run time. The mAh of the device you select should (again) be tailored to your budget, how much hardware you want to carry around, and how long you need to operate on battery power. If you pick up a good 5000mAh unit, you can assume that you've just added somewhere around 3.5X additional time to what your unit would give you without the external supply.

How long it will run exactly will depend on a bunch of things - not least of which will be your screen brightness.

(mAh is how much current it 'stores', while mA is the max power it can give)
Is the following correct? It seems strange that the higher "A" would give less time!
The components (apart from the battery pack itself) in one of these units are sized to deliver some sustained maximum current value - be it 1A, 5A or whatever. That figure and design will change the cost of the parts and the unit, and is chosen such that it is able to power a lot of common electronic devices. It is rare that a USB device will ever make good use of much more than 1A under any circumstances. You might not be aware of it, but a computer USB port must never be expected to deliver more than 500mA (1/2A). So any USB powered device really shouldn't REQUIRE more than that (although it may make use of more current - to charge batteries faster, for example if the added current is available).

For example 1500mAh means it can give your TT 1.5 A for one hour before the battery dies. Or 3A for 30 min. Or 6A for 15 min.
How much life would 750 mAh give? Less than one hour?
Assume that your TomTom will never draw more than about 1A even with completely depleted internal battery. A 1500mAh is just barely more than the internal battery. If your battery was freshly charged, 1500mAh external + the 1300mAh internal combine to give you just about 2X the run time of the 1300mAh internal alone.

Can anyone suggest a fairly good portable power stick like the EcoSol Powerstick that would cost less than $50 and have 1000 mAh or higher? Seems like a lot to ask I guess. But then again, my grandson might be able to use it also with his Archos 32 possibly?
I don't think that the form factor (the "stick") lends itself well to high capacity, nor is it a convenient connection since it has the USB plug on its end - a device that expects a cord will be much easier to manage. Devices with higher capacity come in rather different shapes than that. As I noted, there are several good options out there, and I pointed out a few. Here, again, are some options that will significantly improve his run time in "pedestrian" mode without totally breaking the bank (under your $50 limit):

1400mAh, Kensington K38021US
4400mAh, Just Mobile Gum Pro 4400mAh
5000mAh, Trent Super-pack IMP5000

5000mAh, Trent Super-pack IMP5000

Thanki you.

Looked at the New-Trent, but only saw the 5000 mAh and no other specs, such as Voltage or 1A or 5A, etc.
Also, it mentions: "Batteries: Lithium Metal batteries required."
What does that mean?
Does that mean I could not charge it via AC outlet and that I would have to keep buying batteries to use it?

Could this be used with my TomTom XXL 540TM? It seems to be a good price for us.

Any additional suggestions or comments?

Amazon.com: New Trent super-pack IMP500 5000mAh External Battery pack for 3G iPad, iPhone 4 4G, iPhone 2G 3G 3GS, iPod Touch (1G 2G 3G), Motorola Droid , HTC Android Phones, Blackberry (curve, bold, tour, storm) Brand new: Electronics

====

ADD ON-
I do wonder if this Trent would:
#1- Work with this TT XXL540 MT, if it didn't mention the Volts or the 1A or 5A
#2- Connect to this TT XXL540 MT. How would it connect?

Don't know if the following is the same product, but it does give additional specs:

External Battery For iPhone 4 4G, 3GS, 3G:CP505(IMP500) - eBay (item 180528014676 end time Dec-28-10 13:45:52 PST)

Last edited:
It does not make sense to me a battery pack would require a battery in order to operate so I think that REQUIRED BATTERY message is probably an erroneous listing of the information.

Maybe this would help you. I like the price Amazon has too and one cant argue against all the great reviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCcOMzETurM]YouTube - New Trent Battery Pack Review - For iPhone, iPad and More

Thanki you.

Looked at the New-Trent, but only saw the 5000 mAh and no other specs, such as Voltage or 1A or 5A, etc.
Amazon's specs often leave something to be desired. The "battery" is internal. No additional batteries required. 5V output. The device plugs into the wall for charging. Alternately, if you have the time (12 hours, I'd guess), you can charge it off a USB connection on a PC. The connection to a device is a standard USB A connector of the same sort as you find on a computer.

Further to my post above.
I just heard from NewTrent and they advise:

"Hi Alice, Thanks for contacting us. IMP500: Input: 5V 1000mA output: 5V 600mA Best regards, Vivian Zheng Customer Support Dept. New Trent Inc. "

Would the "New Trent super-pack IMP500 5000mAh External Battery pack"

#1- work with my TT XXL540MT?
#2-= Would it have proper connection to attach to the TT XXL540 MT, which is a 'little' different than other mini plugs? (Believe you just answered this one and that it would be able to connect to my TTXXL540MT.)
#3- Would the "600mA output" be a problem?

Can I go ahead and buy it?

Last edited:
#3- Would the "600mA output" be a problem?

I would if I hadn't purchased something similar ages ago for my 720 - and remember, your computer only provides a maximum of 500mA output on its USB port and your 540 works just fine when you plug it in, right? ;)

The difference between plugging into your computer at 500mA and the car adapter at something closer to 1000mA is that one can charge your 540's internal battery faster than the other ... that's all.

I would if I hadn't purchased something similar ages ago for my 720 - and remember, your computer only provides a maximum of 500mA output on its USB port and your 540 works just fine when you plug it in, right? ;)

The difference between plugging into your computer at 500mA and the car adapter at something closer to 1000mA is that one can charge your 540's internal battery faster than the other ... that's all.

(I don't charge my TT via the computer. I use the AC/USB adapter ( 5V 1A.)

Could you explain just what the NewTrent will do?
When/if the TT runs out of power, I attach the NewTrent and It will recharge my TT? And I have to wait for the recharge to complete before I can use the TT?
Or, when I attach the NewTrent, it will allow me to use my TT for several hours before I have to recharge the TT or the NewTrent?

Last edited:
After reading all the "higher is better" posts, I wanted to mention one downside:

"Higher mah = longer life", but "Higher mah = heavier and larger" also. If this will be used for walking, unnecessarily high mah would be unnecessary bulk/weight.

The XXL run about 1-2 hours on the internal battery when on. They'll last days when off. So 5000mah could give you 5-10 hours of walking use (you'd need to be an athlete to walk nonstop 5 hours), so depending on the planned use it could be very excessive.

"Higher mah = longer life", but "Higher mah = heavier and larger" also. If this will be used for walking, unnecessarily high mah would be unnecessary bulk/weight.
Hence the middle part of my earlier comment, "The mAh of the device you select should (again) be tailored to your budget, how much hardware you want to carry around, and how long you need to operate on battery power."

Fortunately, the weight of a lithium ion pack isn't too bad, and the Trent device (the heaviest of the suggested units) is only 6 ounces.

Could you explain just what the NewTrent will do?
Attach it full time while your TT is being used. Don't wait for the TT to run out of juice. Conceptually, t's like having your TT connected to your car battery through the car charger. It will charge the TT battery (although slowly) if it's not fully charged, and will operate the unit concurrently.

Thanks.
Have placed order and will post grandson's opinion of product when received and used.

Ordered from eBay (from New Trent) and guess they are trying to get as much exposure as possible via Amazon and eBay. Cost was $34.95 with free shipping. (Supposed to be sent Priority Mail, but see it was sent 1st Class.)
Appears to have gotten 99.5% Positive feedbacks.

Alice

P.S. Haven't gotten emial confirms of last two posts to this thread (even though have check 'instant email notification).. Will have to manually check back to check for any additional posts.

No device supplying USB power should ever produce anything BUT 5V at the connection to the device. I'd be willing to accept a device that claims 5V~5.5V, but nothing that talks about more than that under any circumstances.

I just found the AC micro charger I receuved for an old Garmin. And I did use it to charge the Garmin (because I didn't know anything about these things back then).

It reads:
INPUT AC 100V-240V 200mA 47-63Hz
OUTPUT DC 4.5V-9.5V Max 800Ma

Why does it state: 4.5V - 9.5V?
Could it be used to charge the TomTom XXL540MT?
Should I just get rid of this charger

I just found the AC micro charger I receuved for an old Garmin. And I did use it to charge the Garmin (because I didn't know anything about these things back then).

It reads:
INPUT AC 100V-240V 200mA 47-63Hz
OUTPUT DC 4.5V-9.5V Max 800Ma

Why does it state: 4.5V - 9.5V?
Could it be used to charge the TomTom XXL540MT?
Should I just get rid of this charger
Not knowing what model of Garmin you had, I can't say if the plug on that one is USB or not. Evidently the Garmin was capable of tolerating a fairly wide voltage range on the input. Your TomTom is NOT. Especially if that charger has a USB connector on it that might accidentally be plugged to anything that expects 5V, you should pitch it if you no longer own the Garmin. It's fully capable of toasting any number of devices.

Take that Fommy write-up with a grain of salt. While it claims (among other things) a 2-1/2 hour recharge (one can see that there's nowhere near enough solar cell on top of this thing to accomplish this on a 3500mAh device), the manual claims 6 hours for a full solar charge, and most users report far longer recharge times than that - exceeding 12 hours in many cases, and not fully charging even then. The 2-1/2 hours is when connected to an AC outlet to charge.

So while it probably has utility in some applications, it's far too expensive to use as an AC or USB charged device (as is evidenced by the price on the Trent 5000mAh unit), and the solar just isn't as efficient as claimed.

Ask a Question