TomTom XXL 540TM Lifetime Traffic Updates

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom ONE
Hello, and I am new to this forum. I originally wanted to purchase a Garmin GPS, but I found out that those that come packaged with free lifetime traffic updates will display pop-up advertisements. I don’t want that.

Then I found out that some TomTom units offer traffic updates free for a year, but charge you a monthly fee after that if you wish to continue with that feature.

So, I’m now considering the TomTom XXL 540TM, and I would like to know if the traffic update feature is indeed free for life or if you have to pay after the first year.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Charles

Nope. The 540 TM comes with a combo rds-tmc antenna that is indeed good for the lifetime of the unit.

However, you MUST register the activation code for lifetime maps. Call CS at 866-486-6866 to register the code that will be in the box marked DO NOT DISCARD. Don't try to register on line, it's a waste of time and effort.

So, I’m now considering the TomTom XXL 540TM, and I would like to know if the traffic update feature is indeed free for life or if you have to pay after the first year.
Yes, the traffic information is free for the life of the unit - and there is no advertising.

The XXL540TM comes with a special charging cable that also functions as an FM antenna. This picks up traffic information that is broadcast by local stations. I have read that the frequency of the updates is typically about every 15 minutes, but I do not know that as a fact.

Due to the way that the traffic information is provided, you probably will not receive it in rural areas, and you may not get it in small towns. However, I see that you live in New York City, and you should have no problem with getting data in the East Coast megalopolis area.

As a personal comment, I have been satisfied with the traffic information provided in Southern California by my XXL540TM. It has not been perfect, but it has been much better than not having traffic information.

BTW, as you probably know already, the XXL540TM also comes with free lifetime map updates - that is why it has "M" in the model name. In some areas that is not a big advantage, but in other areas where there is a lot of construction, it is a significant plus compared to the XXL540 and XXL540T.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

@Charles
You've also picked the last of the older platform models that still has many of the features we wish that the new models had, like full itinerary planning. You've made a good choice there, both for features and value.

@Charles
You've also picked the last of the older platform models that still has many of the features we wish that the new models had, like full itinerary planning. You've made a good choice there, both for features and value.

Thanks. That's good to hear. It's so hard to make an informed decision when looking to buy a GPS. I subscribe to Consumer Reports and generally follow their recommendations, but their ratings mentioned nothing about Garmin's pop up ads. They do rank TomTom relatively high in comparison, and I read as many Amazon.com reviews as I can. With so many manufacturers and models to choose from, though, it's good that forums like this one exist to help out.

However, you MUST register the activation code for lifetime maps. Call CS at 866-486-6866 to register the code that will be in the box marked DO NOT DISCARD. Don't try to register on line, it's a waste of time and effort.

Guys, I need your help again! So, I called Customer Service to register the activation code for lifetime maps. The young kid in Mexico advised me first to hook up my XXL 540TM to TomTom Home to get the latest applications. The problem came in when they would not install to the GPS hard disk. The error message read: “There is not enough free space on your device” (-2.7 mb)

So, the CS rep had me delete the applications that came installed with the device in order to free up space, but that didn’t work, and I received the same error message. The rep then informed me that the device must be defective and that I need to either contact Amazon for a replacement or send it to TomTom directly – which will take a couple of weeks, and I’ll have to pay for shipping.

Anyone have any ides about the lack of hard disk space? I’m kind of frustrated at this point.

--Charles

I wish you had made the Explorer backup first.

Make the Explorer backup now.

Then look at the contents of the NA map folder on the unit. If you see a bunch of cspeechxx.Dat files, remove them all. They should not have been in the NA map for that unit as it doesn't have Voice Commands since it doesn't have a microphone.

See if the updated map fits now.

And, if it does, make another Explorer backup and then delete the same files in the new updated map.

But start with an Explorer backup first.

Ask a Question