TomTom XXL 540TM Registering / updating

Is there someplace we can find the answers to the following questions? We looked in the booklet that was enclosed with the TomTom XXL 540TM, but couldn't find the answers.

#1- Would someone be able to tell me how I would go about Registering my TomTom XXL 540TM.

#2- Also, how to update maps/.traffic. (Don't know if we will need to update traffic since we will be using unit mostly for hiking).

#3- When I register unit, will TomTom site know that we are supposed to receive FREE lifetime updates for maps and traffic?

#4- When I update maps, will traffic also update (download) automatically?

Thanks for any help.
Alice

Any other "tips" would be appreciated by this novice. Somewhere I read that a program named "Home" had to be download/installed before any updates, etc.
Just a bit confusing to me.

Last edited:
#1- Would someone be able to tell me how I would go about Registering my TomTom XXL 540TM.

Log into tomtom.com and you register the unit there. you create a user id (email address) and a password and associate the unit to that email address. It doesn't even have to be a real one, just in the proper format of (e-mail address removed)

#2- Also, how to update maps/.traffic. (Don't know if we will need to update traffic since we will be using unit mostly for hiking).

Well, you may have problems then. TomTom models are meant for on road navigation. You don't want to trust the accuracy 100% if you are planning serious off-road hiking trips. By that, I mean let's say you seriously get lost in the woods somewhere and try to set a route to a location on a road. You won't be able to as it will say 'no route found' if there are no navigatable roads where you are; further, one has to consider battery life. At best, you may get 2 hours on a full charge (don't believe the marketing hype of 'up to 5 hours'). Just so you know.....

If you got the TM model, it came with a combination auto charger/rds-tmc traffic antenna. Traffic info comes through that from an fm station on your radio. You don't have to get 'updates' as such.

#3- When I register unit, will TomTom site know that we are supposed to receive FREE lifetime updates for maps and traffic?

I addressed the traffic update question above. You may have received an activation code in your packaging that you will enter online at tomtom.com when you create a user profile. If unsure of the status, call support at 866-486-6866

Any other "tips" would be appreciated by this novice. Somewhere I read that a program named "Home" had to be download/installed before any updates, etc.
Just a bit confusing to me.

Home is the computer software for the TomTom that you use when you want to update your unit with new applications, maps, mapshare updates and new quickgpsfix files.

You can download the latest version from here

The 540TM is designed for traveling on roads. If you are just hiking on streets this device will work for you.

If you plan to hike in the mountains on trails, the TomTom 540TM is not going to help you except to tell you your exact GPS location. You will want to get a GPS device designed for hiking/GEO caching.

Fyi

FYI:
My grandson is disabled and intended to use the TomTom XXl540TM to walk (sorry I said 'hiking') in the city and to visit various POI (museums, etc.) in our area. His physical therapy requires him to do a lot of walking and that is why I bought the TomTom for him.
I called the telephone number that was given (866-486-6866) and must say I never spoke to such nice people before regarding any telephone support. They walked me through everything, downloading the HOME, downloading new Map, Four hours to download maps and one hour to install = five hours total. (Guess TomTom will never do anything about the time spent downloading these map updates, etc.)
I couldn't activate online because they said code was already used (which it never was). The young lady had me make copies of sales receipt and activation code and email them to her. She then activated my code right away. I don't know why I couldn't actiate myself (something wrong with TomTom records, etc.), but the young lady was very hellpful (and located in the NY).
I was wondering if there is any way to verify that I am now set-up for lifetime map updates? So I can assure my grandson that he does indeed have FREE lifetime map updates. Maybe email TomTom?

Last edited:
I tried finding this also. I don?t think there is any way to see your lifetime subscription in your device or via the Tomtom home software.

I think Tomtom, the company, stores it in their computer system flagging you for receiving Lifetime Traffic and Maps (TM) and is tracked via the email address you entered for the device.

So if you want it validated your account is a TM account I think you will need to call them.

TT probably makes more work for themselves by not displaying this to their users.

I was wondering if there is any way to verify that I am now set-up for lifetime map updates? So I can assure my grandson that he does indeed have FREE lifetime map updates. Maybe email TomTom?

I know the answer to this now.

I received a confirmation email from Tomtom Welcoming me to TomTom Lifetime Map Update Service.

If you don't get the email I would call them and make sure there is no problems.

Ask a Question