XXL 540TM vs VIA 1505TM vs START 55TM

Discussion in 'Which TomTom Should I Buy?' started by gregk1239, Jun 8, 2012.

1. gregk1239

gregk1239

I am new to the world of Tom Tom and I am trying to find a fairly basic unit that provides traffic, fairly easy to use, lifetime map updates, and some of the newer map features (lane guidance, speaking the street names). I am not sure which of the three I listed is the best unit. The TomTom website is confusing, and I can't use their compare tool at all with the START unit, and I can't really see a difference between the XXL 540TM and the VIA, except that it says the VIA has a "Navigation Package", but then I can't find what that means.

The one thing that worries me about the VIA is some people complain that it lacks a lot of functionality (you couldn't update the maps or download the user updates, although the website said you could). However, those were older posts and from what I understood, those features would become functional in the future, so maybe they are now?

I only would be using the unit to get me from place A to place B, so I don't think I would need any fancy trip features (although if I can get it for the same price, I might as well?).

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

gregk1239, Jun 8, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. gregk1239

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    dhn, Jun 8, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. gregk1239

gregk1239

Thanks for the list. From that it seems the VIA is better than the XXL, but that is a few months old and doesn't list the US START unit (I am guessing that is a new unit?). Also, it says that the MapShare isn't available yet on the VIA. Has that been enabled yet? The website makes it look like it is available.

gregk1239, Jun 8, 2012
  4. gregk1239

dhn Moderator

TomTom Model(s):
    1535 LIVE; Via 1605; Go 50; Go 520
    For a few models, mapshares are now enabled and the rest of the Nav3 devices should have them by the end of June.

dhn, Jun 8, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question