XXL 540TM fails update and goes into endless preferences setting cycle

Looked in the United_States_XXXXXX folder, but no mapsettings file in there. Maybe this model doesn't require that file? Either that or mine just isn't getting far enough in the boot process to create it...

Per the TomTom support website, I just did a full format, did a fresh re-install of Home, re-downloaded the application and a voice file from TomTom and re-installed on the device. Still no go... I think at this point I'm going to box this one up and ship it back unless anyone else has any further ideas.

Thanks!

Per the TomTom support website, I just did a full format, did a fresh re-install of Home, re-downloaded the application and a voice file from TomTom and re-installed on the device. Still no go... I think at this point I'm going to box this one up and ship it back unless anyone else has any further ideas.

Thanks!

Well, I finally had success. I used the instructions from this post:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...162-please-help-lost-original-app-xxl540.html

I did a full format (not quick) and then copied back a non-working installation which continued not to work. I then opened up the .cab file that's linked to in the above post (after installing winrar which is a free download), and extracted the cab to the TomTom, telling it to copy over all existing files, and it worked!

Exact same problem

Amazon sent me a brand new XXL 540TM.

I took it out of the box, plugged it into computer to get updates to make it latest and greatest. Disconnected it with the software..

bam, bricked.. it just sticks at the Tomtom boot logo.

Did I make a backup? Nope.. why would I? It's a brand new product doing a simple update, I'm not going to go into explorer and copy its entire contents everytime I do an update.. They should build that into their software like Apple and everyone else does for electronics.

Applying the cab file mentioned above sort of recovered it.. it boots, but touchscreen doesn't work. (Perhaps it never worked, maybe that's broken too).. So the options are:

Boot it not plugged into computer, and it prompts you to set a language.. but you can't, because the screen doesn't work.

Or, boot it plugged into a computer, and I guess in whatever language its set to, its asking if it should use the computer or not. (But doesn't default to do it, so now I can't actually access its drive either).

This is pretty hackjob IMO, so many people with a BRAND new device, doing nothing odd, just plugging it into a computer and clicking update, and the device has these problems. It should *just work*.

(Also, the config files the "Super moderator" keeps saying to look for and delete, do not exist. Just like everyone else said, and he just keeps saying "delete those files", he might be a robot.. since everyone is clear they don't exist).

As it is now, maybe there's a reason Garmins units that have US and EU maps both are expensive.. they boot!

Returned

Managed to start going through their restore process and manually deleting everything, etc.. and decided "Hey wait, I'll just order the Garmin 1370T and return this." Amazon will deliver it tomorrow (Yes, on a Sunday, they do deliver in my area). Will send this back.

I originally wanted the Garmin 2370LT, but it's sold out most everywhere, so I thought "Oh, this Tomtom will be fine". Nope, I have enough devices I have to support in my life and hack with.. This is one of those ones that should always just work.

Also, the config files the "Super moderator" keeps saying to look for and delete, do not exist. Just like everyone else said, and he just keeps saying "delete those files", he might be a robot.. since everyone is clear they don't exist

Glad to hear you are getting rid of it, best of luck with your Garmin, and for the record we are nothing to do with TomTom and neither are the moderators robots, if you don't like the advice offered you have the choice to ignore it - Mike

Starting Black Friday 2010, Tomtom released newer software onto the XXL540 lineup, and it's caused nothing but trouble.

On top of that, many models started bricking at that time too.

I doubt it's a a coincidence. Either:
1) The new software is junk, causing the bricks
2) The new software was launched to support cut-rate cheapo components which Tomtom substituted, and now those components bricked all the time.

The 540 has been a solid model, one of the best and most reliable in the past couple years. However, since Black Friday we've seen tons of problems with it. (All on Amazon, by the way).

Our recommendation is to never buy a XXL540 from Amazon at this point. Buy a XXL540 from somewhere else, or buy something else from Amazon.

It's too bad that this latest fiasco has ruined the track record of a formerly solid model.

However, since Black Friday we've seen tons of problems with it. (All on Amazon, by the way).

I bought a 540TM from Beach Camera (via eBay) in late January 2011, and it bricked (by itself) after 10 days. So maybe Beach Camera were selling them from the same brittle batch?

I bought a 540TM from Beach Camera (via eBay) in late January 2011, and it bricked (by itself) after 10 days. So maybe Beach Camera were selling them from the same brittle batch?
Possible, but Beach sells a ton of stuff, and I'm pretty confident that you're the first person we've heard that had a bricked 540 from their stock. My ears would have perked up when I heard Beach named (for other reasons entirely).

Ask a Question