XXL 540TM fails update and goes into endless preferences setting cycle

Got this for Xmas. Hooked it up to the computer and went to the TomTom site and registered it. Downloaded and installed the software and when I ran it, it said there was an update for the program. I asked it to go ahead and install - it downloaded and gave every indication of installing, then said it needed to restart the device. So, I have the "Restarting your navigation device" warning window displaying - the TomTom is just showing the the word TomTom and the logo on a black background. Nothing else - it seems to be stuck. I forced it off and turned it back on and followed some suggestions in various threads here, but, the furthest I get is to where it comes up with the preferences setting routine - walks through each of the settings till I get to the map page - choosing either U.S./N America or Europe results in a long pregnant pause, then a reboot, and then it comes back to the preferences setting routine...

I did the exact same thing! new xxl540tm wte and did the backup, then it updated and needed to restart the device. But it just hung there and so I forced a restart but now it's also just showing the words tomtom and the logo!

I can't even get the preferences thing...help...what do I need to do now?

Did either of you make an Explorer backup prior to trying for any updates?

Try resetting the unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds or so till you hear the drum sounds. See if that helps.

Yes, I did an explorer backup first thing after opening my box (thanks to your suggestions!)

I've held the power button until I heard the drums, but then goes through its loading screen with the progress bar and then it just stays on the tomtom screen with the logo. It does not accept any input from the touch screen.

If you have the Explorer backup then format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Connect to Home and accept the application it offers. Disconnect the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

See if it boots and complains about no maps found. If so, close Home completely. Use Explorer and restore the specific map folders to the unit.

Start the unit again. Does it start properly? If so, make another Explorer backup (different folder).

Did either of you make an Explorer backup prior to trying for any updates?

Try resetting the unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds or so till you hear the drum sounds. See if that helps.

I did not make a backup. I read the user guide which doesn't even say anything about installing "Home". The only internet page I was directed to in the paperwork was on the paper containing the activation code and on that page I found instructions to connect the device to my computer which would then start "Home"; since "Home" wasn't installed on my computer, this didn't go far, but that led to a lot of clicking around till I found the page where I could download home. So, now I do have Home installed, and if I start the device with the cable attached to the computer, Home does start up.

I have restarted this unit multiple times using the press the power button method for fifteen seconds method, but I'm just stuck at the logo screen.

If I start with the unit connected to the computer, it comes up and detects that I need some update, but, when I tell it to do the update, nothing happens.

Make the Explorer, not Home, backup now. Then reformat the unit. Don't use quickformat. Then restore the backup. See if that helps

Make the Explorer, not Home, backup now. Then reformat the unit. Don't use quickformat. Then restore the backup. See if that helps

OK - I've started the format - looks like it's going to take a good while. I'll report back results - thanks for your help.

OK - I've started the format - looks like it's going to take a good while. I'll report back results - thanks for your help.

I'm afraid it didn't work. I formatted by right-clicking on the TomTom device in Windows Explorer, de-selecting "Quick Format", and taking all the rest of the defaults, which means it formatted it as FAT32; then I copied the backed up files back. The behavior hasn't changed - I get the little drum-roll logo, then the screen with the progress bar at the bottom, than back to the TomTom logo screen which first appears dim, then brightens slightly, then....nothing - it freezes

Trying to call the support number since this morning and it's funny because no one picks up, not even a machine, it just rings and rings - the number I'm calling is (866-486-6866)

Use Explorer and delete the mapsettings.cfg file in the specific map folder. Tomtom will recreate it upon the next boot-up. Try that.

Use Explorer and delete the mapsettings.cfg file in the specific map folder. Tomtom will recreate it upon the next boot-up. Try that.

Well, maybe we've got a clue - that file doesn't exist anywhere on the TomTom - (I did a search on the whole folder) - it definitely doesn't exist in the map folder! (I only have one map at the moment - during this ordeal, I downloaded an updated Europe map which is too big to fit - it's 2.5GB, but my existing files with the USA/Canada/Mexico maps only leave 2GB of free space - I had removed the extant European map in order to try to fit this update before I figured out how to get the space remaining - so, at the moment, there is only the USA/Canada/Mexico folder)

No mapsettings.cfgfile in the USA_Canda map folder?

Try add maps using Home and see what it shows -- especially for the European map. You may find it
s on your computer. Mind you, only zones can be added to the unit, not the entire Europe map.

No mapsettings.cfgfile in the USA_Canda map folder?

That is correct: no such file

Try add maps using Home and see what it shows -- especially for the European map. You may find it
s on your computer. Mind you, only zones can be added to the unit, not the entire Europe map.

When I try to add the European map, it doesn't offer any options regarding zones, it just takes me to a page that says there's insufficient space and suggests removing seldom used items to make room

If I remeber correctly, that is the first step in getting the Europe b,in zones installed.

But make an Explorer backup of the unit's contents before going through the process of removing any data through Home.

You can also use Home's Manage my Device, device tab, to remove voices you won't be using, Remove any computer voices except one.

If I remeber correctly, that is the first step in getting the Europe b,in zones installed.

But make an Explorer backup of the unit's contents before going through the process of removing any data through Home.

You can also use Home's Manage my Device, device tab, to remove voices you won't be using, Remove any computer voices except one.

I guess I could try that, but, I'm not really interested in getting the European zones right now. I do have a full Explorer backup at some intermediate stage of this whole process - unfortunately, I didn't do that at the very outset with the fresh contents as I'd received them...

I have tried the trick of removing unwanted items such as voices already.

Unfortunately, this unit is totally bricked at the moment and most of this is moot, because it won't start up but just freezes at the second logo screen.

I am unfortunately in the exact same position as Claude. I have a brand new XXL 540 that has been bricked by an update and there seems to be no way to get past the logo screen. Over the past few days, I've tried unloading/reloading maps, updating everything to the latest code, etc. with no luck.

I did a backup, but not when I first received it because there was no indication that I needed to do so either on screen or any of the paper work. Why should I be required to do so, it's a brand new, non-customized device! How can you sell a product like this with what seems to be massive flaws in the updating process? Why did the update not first require a backup and/or automatically perform one itself?

If anyone finds a solution to this or is able to get in touch with TomTom about it, please reply here for the benefit of everyone. This is a hassle and I'm about to return this Christmas gift...

Hold the power button for about 10 seconds to reset it.

If that doesn't help:
Try using Explorer to look at the contents of the unit.

Look in the map folder for a file called mapsettings.cfg. Delete it.

Disconnect the unit properly from the computer using the Safely Removel Hardware icon.

See if that helps.

I have held in the power button, it goes to a brief green screen then black. Then I wait a few seconds and hold in the power button again to start. I hear the drum beats and then it just hangs on the TomTom logo.

I see a mapinfo.dat file, but nothing specifically named mapsettings.cfg, I looked in the main root of the drive as well as the map folder. Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

The map folder will be named something like North _America or America, have a look in these folders for the MapSettings.cfg file - Mike

Ask a Question