When to use update guarantee?

We purchased a 930 and its current map is 800.1727. There is a version 805 available.

Should I upgrade right away? It says I can upgrade for 30 days, but only one upgrade....

How often do upgrades come out? Anyone know when 805 came out?

Thanks much for your help,

Mine came with the 805.1801 but I just saw someone else is using 805.1803 on his 720.
Advanced Lane Guide does not work on my North American map and I am waiting for a call back as this running battle has been escalated up one level. (They claim my NavCor 8.0.10 cannot handle it although it worked perfectly in the UK in the last four weeks.)
I am past the 30 days now and they just sent me an eMail offering 30% off if I buy a new map NOW (maybe the 1803 mentioned above)!

Make sure you get the Western& Central Europe map that has a size of 1.8 GB and don't be fooled by the 1.4 GB map they call Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB (you'll need a SDHC card as that map will be too big to fit with everything else in internal memory.

Make sure you have HOME 2.3 on your computer and make a scan of you Bill of Sale for your 930 and call them for the upgrade. During that call they will request that you send them a Support question through your MyTomTom on their web page and attach your POP (proof of purchase).
--
Cheers,

Oh Man, Arno....sounds like that upgrade is harder than I thought.

I guess I'll go ahead and do it and hope that there's not another one in the next 30 days. I wish there was a way to find out when the last upgrade came out. They should have that listed on their website. Me thinks maybe I'll call them and see what they say.

Oh Man, Arno....sounds like that upgrade is harder than I thought.

I guess I'll go ahead and do it and hope that there's not another one in the next 30 days. I wish there was a way to find out when the last upgrade came out. They should have that listed on their website. Me thinks maybe I'll call them and see what they say.

The upgrade is not hard at all, but it would not hurt to wait a few weeks - you never know what might come down. Make sure you backup everything first, plus have TT Home "copy to computer" your current maps - all before you do a map upgrade.

Also, if you have not already done so, set up a TomTom account (email address and password) and log on to it when you do the upgrade. Then the upgrade maps will be available on your account for a year if something would go wrong

I searched some forums, think the maps came out about 5/06/08 and if TomTom updates maps every three months a new update should be about the first week of August. Correct me if I'm wrong. I just got a 730 so I think I'm going to wait.

Thanks Michael C....I can wait till the first week in Aug too...with baited breath.... although I guess it's only a week away :)

Thanks Michael C....I can wait till the first week in Aug too...with baited breath.... although I guess it's only a week away :)

I don't know your date of purchase... Also be prepared for teh map update to be later than a specific date. Sure, there are 4 new map versions per year but TT sometimes does not follow a strict 3 month schedule. The last new map was one month ahead of schedule. It could be that the next one be one month late and released in September but don't know. Just plan for the eventuality and be prepared not to skip your 30 days.

In another list someone said he just downloaded the newest map for the 730, being 805.1803.

We know we can get 805 now, but the question is when will a newer map be out. If Tomtom updates maps every three months now a newer map will be out soon. From what I read in another post the big update is in Feb. and smaller ones are every three months, but you don't want to wait to long and miss the newer one you could of got.

Last edited:
From the TomTom website:
TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. In the event that a newer map is available within 30 days from when you start using your device, you are entitled to one free map download.

To me this reads that the TomTom you buy WILL come with the latest map available and, if a NEW map is released in the first 30 days, you will get to download a new map.

My question is... doesn't this imply that you can get TWO maps? If the TomTom I purchased didn't already come with the latest map then they have not upheld the first part of the LMG and should provide the map that is available on the first day of use for free. If a new map is released within 30 days I should then be able to get the new map, as it is newer than the map that SHOULD have been included on the device.

From the TomTom website:

To me this reads that the TomTom you buy WILL come with the latest map available and, if a NEW map is released in the first 30 days, you will get to download a new map.

My question is... doesn't this imply that you can get TWO maps? If the TomTom I purchased didn't already come with the latest map then they have not upheld the first part of the LMG and should provide the map that is available on the first day of use for free. If a new map is released within 30 days I should then be able to get the new map, as it is newer than the map that SHOULD have been included on the device.

The basic idea to the latest map is this. TT issues maps 4 times a year. TT road navigational devices are in stores and no one can predict how long the inventory is going to last. Those devices could be loaded with maps older than the latest when bought. They could even be even older than 6 months. To be fair to the customer and to boost marketing value of their devices, TT provides the very latest map if you request it within a 30 day period of your purchase.

For a brief period, during the 2007 Xmas period, TT offered a 1 year map upgrade guarantee for their GO 920. It was one more incentive to get that high-end model.

We know we can get 805 now,
I feel 805 is too imprecise.
Mid June the latest map guarantee for my 930 said that I had the newest with 805.1801.

I posted that someone just downloaded 805.1803 on his 730.
That is obviously a newer map than mine.

The TT 30% off until end of July for a new map only says 805.
I fired off a Support question, asking them to be more precise but only received the automated reply that a question has been raised.

I feel 805 is too imprecise.
Mid June the latest map guarantee for my 930 said that I had the newest with 805.1801.

I posted that someone just downloaded 805.1803 on his 730.
That is obviously a newer map than mine.

Do not confuse the version numbers and build numbers. My understanding is that build number refers to which model the map is destined for. The map for the 730 (v8.05 build 1803) has less POIs than your 930 v8.05 build 1801 map. As for the roads and map details, they should be identical as they are from the same base Tele Atlas data of the same date.

Do not confuse the version numbers and build numbers. My understanding is that build number refers to which model the map is destined for. The map for the 730 (v8.05 build 1803) has less POIs than your 930 v8.05 build 1801 map. As for the roads and map details, they should be identical as they are from the same base Tele Atlas data of the same date.

That may well be so but have a look at the brilliant reply received to my web Support question:
"The maps being sold at the 30% discount are the latest map versions we have available. For the GO 930 this would be map version 8.05 and for the older units this would be version 7.20."

I had asked if the map offered is any different form my 805.1801. Absolute zero reference to my question as to the build number.

That may well be so but have a look at the brilliant reply received to my web Support question:
"The maps being sold at the 30% discount are the latest map versions we have available. For the GO 930 this would be map version 8.05 and for the older units this would be version 7.20."

I had asked if the map offered is any different form my 805.1801. Absolute zero reference to my question as to the build number.

Don't worry, your map is the latest at the moment. That version was issued in early May but was expected for June when following a strict 3 month cycle. The next one should be in August or early September. Remember that TT issues 4 new maps per year based on the Tele Atlas digital map provider which TT has recently bought out. They outbidded all other interested purchasers but paid a stiff price for it. It remains to be seen if the number of new maps per year will stay the same. It normally takes TT about 3 months, from when they get the data from Tele Atlas, to issue the maps to TT users. Usually they give some info on what the differences are with the older map but, on the latest update, did not give much info for North America (USA and Canada). Getting to know what regional updates are is near impossible unless you can get a system at the local store with the latest map version and compare... Your specific map is identical to what v7.20 is on the GO x20s apart from the addition of IQ and ALG data. USA and Canada map version 7.20 for the ONE models of 1GB of internal memory carries build number 1802 and has all the same basic map data as the other map version 7.20 or 8.05. The build number lower digits has nothing to do with the notion of more up-to-date but of for which internal memory size it should fit.

Don't worry, your map is the latest at the moment. That version was issued in early May but was expected for June when following a strict 3 month cycle. The next one should be in August or early September.

Thanks for the detailed explanation but I do worry about getting a map that allows ALG to be shown.

In spite of sending this screen print to Support,
209q8hv.jpg

they insist the problem will be solved with a NavCor update. Yet, it works perfectly well with the UK map!

Thanks for the detailed explanation but I do worry about getting a map that allows ALG to be shown.

In spite of sending this screen print to Support,
209q8hv.jpg

they insist the problem will be solved with a NavCor update. Yet, it works perfectly well with the UK map!

I'm now quite confused... Your sig shows you using a GO 930 which should be using map 8.05 and NavCore 8.10. Would you be using a WCE or GB&ROI v8.05 and North America map v7.20 by any chance which does not have IQ nor ALG data?

Last edited:
I'm now quite confused... Your sig shows you using a GO 930 which should be using map 8.05 and NavCore 8.10. Would you be using a WCE or GB&ROI v8.05 and North America map v7.20 by any chance which does not have IQ nor ALG data?

sg7uo7.jpg
[/IMG]

THAT is my battle with Support. ALG question raised 080613 !!!
Thursday two weeks ago in a phone call I was informed that this matter has been moved up the Support ladder and that I would get back a phone call from them.
I wonder what they will tell me this afternoon when I will call again.

Thursday two weeks ago in a phone call I was informed that this matter has been moved up the Support ladder and that I would get back a phone call from them.
I wonder what they will tell me this afternoon when I will call again.

Support tried to fob me off saying that this Support Question had expired because I had not replied to their eMail of July 17.
I told him to check my file and he would find that I had called and that I was told the question would be elevated and that I was supposed to be called back within two business days.
After a lot of checking he got back and said he found that and that this needs to be handled at a higher level.
Asking when I can expect a call this time and that I was not going to wait two weeks again, he told me to stay on the line as I would be transferred.

After 35 minutes on hold I had to go through all the explanation again, including when the unit was bought, and the details of the screen above.
She then told me that ALG only works in 8 locations in the United States and none in Canada and that they expect it to work once a new NA map is released.

Until that new map comes out and until it is confirmed by other users of the 930 that ALG works in North America I will hold off getting back to them.

Ask a Question