When to use update guarantee?

Support tried to fob me off saying that this Support Question had expired because I had not replied to their eMail of July 17.
<snip>
If you tried replying to their email, it would have bounced - guaranteed. That's what happened to me when I tried replying to my open ticket. If I didn't reply within 48 hours the ticket would be closed. I replied and the 'mail daemon' said "no such address".

I'm convinced that email support is almost worthless. :rolleyes:

Support tried to fob me off saying that this Support Question had expired because I had not replied to their eMail of July 17.
I told him to check my file and he would find that I had called and that I was told the question would be elevated and that I was supposed to be called back within two business days.
After a lot of checking he got back and said he found that and that this needs to be handled at a higher level.
Asking when I can expect a call this time and that I was not going to wait two weeks again, he told me to stay on the line as I would be transferred.

After 35 minutes on hold I had to go through all the explanation again, including when the unit was bought, and the details of the screen above.
She then told me that ALG only works in 8 locations in the United States and none in Canada and that they expect it to work once a new NA map is released.

Until that new map comes out and until it is confirmed by other users of the 930 that ALG works in North America I will hold off getting back to them.

I do smell something fishy... I know there are very few, if any, ALG static images in Canada and very few in the USA but there are some. The error message led me to believe you had a v7 map by mistake.

Do you have the file ?data_li.chk? in the root? It is a required file for ALG to work.

If I were you, I would backup my whole TT system with Explorer or WinRAR ensuring hidden and system files are all backed up. Then I would run a chkdsk against the memory where your NA map is located to ensure no file is corrupted. If so run chkdsk again with the /f parameter to get it to correct the errors. Try again your system and see if the incompatibility to ALG is still showing up. If so, delete the entire map folder of North America and reinstall the map with Home. Set a route from point A to point B, using the following positions: point A 40.51939,-74.35746 to point B 40.525500, -74.319488 Run this in demo mode and you will see if ALG works.

I strongly suspect your NA map is incomplete or that some of your map files are corrupt. I assume your v8.05 NA map was downloaded and installed with Home. If using WinRAR to backup, set the compression level to lowest or it will take a very long time to process!

Arno, by any chance you still do remember the 8 U.S. locations that ALG only works?
No location was ever mentioned and I took that info with a grain of salt anyway, considering the contradicting information I have received so far.

Do you have the file ?data_li.chk? in the root? It is a required file for ALG to work.
Yes, I do. Since you say it is required, ALG on the W&CE SD card could not have worked without it.
If I were you, I would backup my whole TT system with Explorer or WinRAR ensuring hidden and system files are all backed up.
Made a complete, uncompressed BU to an external drive.
Then I would run a chkdsk against the memory where your NA map is located to ensure no file is corrupted.
No errors found by chkdsk
Set a route from point A to point B, using the following positions: point A 40.51939,-74.35746 to point B 40.525500, -74.319488 Run this in demo mode and you will see if ALG works.
Route runs fine, ALG does not.
I strongly suspect your NA map is incomplete or that some of your map files are corrupt. I assume your v8.05 NA map was downloaded and installed with Home.
It was, as the unit came with 8.002 and the 800.1727 map.
The 8.05.1801 consists of 202 Folders with a total size of 2,070,724,608 bytes. Unfortunately this amount has no real comparative meaning as I have downloaded a bunch of POI files.

You could try another dl and install of the map. You have a year ....
That thought had entered my mind. What is the customary procedure?
Since I had made another complete BU yesterday, just delete the NA map in Explorer and then connect with HOME > Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc. > Maps (Add a map you own already ...) ?
After which I should copy the .cfg and personal POIs back.

Since I had made another complete BU yesterday, just delete the NA map in Explorer and then connect with HOME > Add Maps, Traffic, Voices etc. > Maps (Add a map you own already ...) ?

I would think so.

The 8.05.1801 consists of 202 Folders with a total size of 2,070,724,608 bytes. Unfortunately this amount has no real comparative meaning as I have downloaded a bunch of POI files.

The 2.5 KB discrepancy between the complete NA folder BU and the NA on the internal memory is due to the USB external drive using NTSF and the internal FAT32 files.

So you said, even with v805 map, ALG didn't kick on when routing from/to the locations above, that provided by Gilbert.
Mine has no problem with that.

I would think so.
Well, the following narration proves again that a little knowledge is dangerous. I went through a bit of anxiety for the better part of the day as I could not find the paddle (being up the creek and all).

Deleted everything from the NA folder.
HOME > Add a map and got

View attachment 2080

Ignored the EUR 89.95 as I was "just downloading my previous map" and clicked on that, and after about ten minutes got this:

View attachment 2081

Ah!, must first install the old map and then use Newest Map Guarantee (not thinking too straight under pressure lately).
Copy the contents of the old NA (800.1727 map) folder to the empty internal NA folder. To find the right one I searched for .pna files and was surprised to see four .pna's in the download folder. Going to that folder I find four zipped NA maps from the earlier tries with Home.

View attachment 2078

Good one, let's just unzip to the NA folder. Didn't do too well as I got this lovely error message a few times:

View attachment 2079

I was getting a little discouraged now as neither the new nor the old ones would load. Decided to call it a day and just copy the complete back up of the NA map I had made before this trial.
Bit of a snag. After a while got this:

View attachment 2082

No idea what that meant. But tried again, same result.
Have an old programme 2xExplorer which has two explorer windows side by side. Opened it and started to drag files from one side to the other, until I got to cspeech_ct.dat and got an I/O error. Wrote down the file name and carried on. poi.dat gave another I/O error. Finally came to cline.dat and received the same error as above.

Googling for it explained that the file names are too long. Wondering if the problem was with the having the BU and the internal memory on USB drives.
Copied the small cspeech_ct.dat to the desktop in a flash and back to the internal. Now copied poi.dat and cline.dat to the desptop. Fast compared to the USB to USB. Copied them back to the internal without an error.
Opened HOME, made an update (took for ever), for only got a small map share.
Clicked Operate my GO and my current location came on.
What a relief.
Tested the ALG coordinate A to B drive and, as before and as expected since no updates were made from TomTom, the route runs fine without ALG working.

Last edited:
So you said, even with v805 map, ALG didn't kick on when routing from/to the locations above, that provided by Gilbert.
Mine has no problem with that.
Thanks for confirming that it works on North American units.

As you see above, I had a lot of fun trying to download a new copy of the 805.1801 map.

I do smell something fishy... I know there are very few, if any, ALG static images in Canada and very few in the USA but there are some. The error message led me to believe you had a v7 map by mistake.

I strongly suspect your NA map is incomplete or that some of your map files are corrupt. I assume your v8.05 NA map was downloaded and installed with Home.

Just for data collection, are you using a 920? If 930, was it purchased from a uUS dealer like Crutchfield?

Cheers,
Arno

Just for data collection, are you using a 920? If 930, was it purchased from a uUS dealer like Crutchfield?

Cheers,
Arno

I played around with the 930 of a relative who is a gadget freak and somewhat lives in Florida, Montreal and Switzerland. I can't remember where he bought it but strongly suspect it would be from the USA as it is where he spends most time. I spent over 2 hours playing around with the 930 comparing it to my XL-S when he asked me to update his quickfix and MapShare data. For him, having both NA and WCE is a must as he spends quite some time in Europe each year as well as NA where he has 2 homes located in the USA and Canada. He was not aware he could update both maps by using the Home operate my GO to change map and get the MapShare for both maps.

Seems my assumptions about your map problem with ALG is getting close to be proven...

Arno said:
Tested the ALG coordinate A to B drive and, as before and as expected since no updates were made from TomTom, the route runs fine without ALG working.
Arno,
I'm not trying to be smart, alright, I just want to let you know that you make sure that you enter the Lat/Long of point A, B provided by Gilbert CORRECTLY.
Maybe you already knew and did.

Provided point A: 40.51939,-74.35746
Must be inputted to Tomtom as: N40?31'9.80, W74?21'26.86 (+40? 31' 9.80", -74? 21'26.86")
And point A is on the North bound of I95, right before exit 10 to Rt440.

Last edited:
Is your NA cline.dat 621 003 869 bytes long with an md5 of 4B7BD276?
The Size: is given as 592 MB (620,968,639 bytes) and the Size in disk: 592 MB (620,969,984 bytes)
Have problems with a hash viewer not converting and only displays as cd67c17349c49703b07dcab3a95533e4
That's the same string gotten with a different hash viewer.

I just want to let you know that you make sure that you enter the Lat/Long of point A, B provided by Gilbert CORRECTLY.

Provided point A: 40.51939,-74.35746
Must be inputted to Tomtom as: N40?31'9.80, W74?21'26.86 (+40? 31' 9.80", -74? 21'26.86")
And point A is on the North bound of I95, right before exit 10 to Rt440.
Thanks for the alert but, with TomTom it doesn't matter if one uses W(est) [pas de mots des Qu?b?cois] or - (minus). It also does not matter if one enters degrees, minutes and seconds or decimal degrees, with or without the degree symbol.
Here is an easy degree converter, should you want to test it yourself

The Size: is given as 592 MB (620,968,639 bytes) and the Size in disk: 592 MB (620,969,984 bytes)
Have problems with a hash viewer not converting and only displays as cd67c17349c49703b07dcab3a95533e4
That's the same string gotten with a different hash viewer.

If others can confirm, go ahead, but I think this is the right size and sfv value for your cline.dat file for ID=North_America_2GB.pna 1769832779 v805 build=1801 id=166868 and indicate you have a bad download/installation.

Ask a Question