Map Guarantee wouldn't update my map on 930

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730, GO 2535 LIVE
Just got myself brand new Go 930 and to be honest I'm a bit baffled. Been using 730 for almost a year now, got used to it's little quirks and Tomtom screwups at every update. But this one is puzzling me, I go to the usual routine, connecting it to Home, checking up initial firmware and map versions, which is 8.002 for the firmware and 800.1727 for maps. Now according to Tomtom I have "Latest Map Guarantee" which supposedly should upgrade me to the 8.302 firmware and 8.25 maps. Well it doesn't when I log in (had to give another email account for 930 because my previous was for 730 and you can't have 2 devices to the same login) it offers me update for Western and Central Europe only, no North America update offered. And yes i selected North America as my current map and triple checked it. Also it doesn't offer me upgrade to 8.302 firmware even though I tried it on 2 different computers now just to make sure that my previous settings from 730 don't interfere with a new 930. Knowing tomtom tech support people I don't hold my breath for any help there, but may be anyone here had a similar problem? How do you force the device to see the upgrade knowing that it's there for sure? Thanks in advance, any ideas?

The MAP guarantee isn't link to the firmware,firmware will continue to upgrade long after your "map" guarantee expires.Other than that I'm not familiar with the 930 and what firmware and Maps are current for it.

You won't get a new map offered until you upgrade to 8.302. So focus on getting 8.302 first.

You may have success getting 8.302 on by removing the application with tomtom home, and then downloading whatever new application home gives you. The presence of 8.002 may be confusing HOME (it shouldn't but you never know).

I'm aware that Map Guarantee is not link to the firmware, the reason I even bring in the firmware version is that you can't have latest 825 maps with a firmware lower than 8.300 or close to it. So I thought that may be the reason Map Guarantee don't offer me latest maps because my initial firmware is at 8.002 and if I upgrade firmware first it would lead Tomtom server to offer me latest maps. Well, it doesn't happen, it does not offer current firmware of maps even though if I connect my older 730 to the same computer it offers me 8.302 firmware right away (I'm on 8.301). So I isolated the problem to the 930 itself just don't know how to force it to upgrade after all that was the reason for getting 930.

I just went ahead and upgraded Western and Central Europe map just for the heck of it. And even though I'm still on 8.002 firmware, map version for Europe is 8.25 and it telsl me "You already got latest map guarantee". I guess I will call them after all, why in the God's name it keeps insisting that I'm in Europe??? Absolutely nothing in my settings would suggest that im in Europe, from map selected to home location and such. And it still won't even offer me upgrade to 8.302. I backed it up before even starting doing anything, restored thinking that some files got corrupted during my attempts to upgrade it and went thru all of it again with the same results. is it just a lemon unit?

I've seen hundreds of complaints similar to yours over the past year. LMG does not work correctly in TTHome much of the time. When I bought my 930 last June I had the same exact issue, solved only by calling support, faxing a receipt, then another call when the promised map wasn't put in my account. I'd wagerr most buyers who aren't offered an upgrade thru home just assume there isn't one, never knowing they were owed a map but needed to call TomTom to get it. If TomTom really wanted new owners to get their latest map under LMG, the option would have an nice icon right there next to BUYING a new map. Instead it's hidden in a submenu at the top op the page. Have no idea if it's on purpose to avoid giving away maps, or simply poor coding and/or server issues, but LMG is often DOA.

I've seen tons of LMG issues, but never a firmware issue.

Did you get 825.2157? If you have application 8.0x or 8.1, you may get a version of the map that doesn't end in 2157 (intended for the go x10 or earlier). The 825.2157 is the only v825 map that supports IQroutes2 from app 8.3.

I suspect that home isn't recognizing your device as a 930. Try renaming ttgo.bif and restart the tomtom (it'll generate a new one). Open the regenerated file in notepad and make sure that DeviceVersionHW says 930.

If it says 930 after the rename and home still won't give you the latest firmware, you could try to force it on (Home may not recognize 8.002). Try forcing 8.300, and seeing if home will upgrade it to 8.302. If it still won't give you 8.302, they tomtom may have a bug in its serial number database and just not recognize your device.

To force on 8.300, download the link below and use winzip/winrar to put the files on the root of your tomtom, overwriting what is there.
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_8.300.9732.go530-go730-go930.cab

But if I were you, since you're within 30 days, I'd just call tomtom support. They may end up finding your unit as defective and swapping it out. Or it could just be some dumb conflict with app/map versions that they can fix for your home account.

After jumping back and forth with Tomtom tech people and uploading my sales receipt to them they finally put new North Amercan 8.25 maps in my queue and I'm downloading it now. As you suggested I force upgraded it to 8.300 hoping that Home will offer to upgrade to the latest 8.302, well it still doesn't. But here is the interesting thing - when I click on bars, version, it tells me I have 8.300, but if I connect it to Home and go to Show Contents of my Go, it says I have 8.302 on my device! Really confusing hopefully it will correct itself if I just force upgrade it to 8.302.

Home is notorious for being incorrect about the version of application installed. Tap the satellite bars. The next screen will show what the unit 'sees' as the version. Go by this .......

Does anybody have by any chance a link to the 8.302 cab file? I'd really appreciate it because it just refuses upgrade via Home so I have to do it manually. Thanks in advance!

Does anybody have by any chance a link to the 8.302 cab file? I'd really appreciate it because it just refuses upgrade via Home so I have to do it manually. Thanks in advance!

See my 8:38 am post on this thread.

See my 8:38 am post on this thread.

That link installs 8.300 and I would like latest 8.302 now that OMG is working and stuttering is fixed. I have latest maps now and if I get 8.302 I'll be golden for a while :)

I notice once that I have gotten a newer version of the map the Map Guarantee no more longer applies. Is this normal?

When you first use your unit, you have 30 days for the lmg. But, after obtaining THAT map or after buying a new map down the road, the lmg does not apply.

Strange though, my older map is actually bigger in size than the new map. Makes me wonder whether is an upgrade. though the map version does shows it.

I believe its smaller because of the compression algorithm used,as some blame the compression for the stutter issue they had.
They may do so all they like, but I was using (briefly) 8.300 with the OLD maps and the problem was just as bad.

I know my Tom Tom doesn't belong in this section but I have a One v2 I think it is and I bought a map in January. Don't you get to download new maps like 4 times for a year after you buy a new one? I have the USA map version 815.2022 but I see version 825.2159 in Home. When I go to LMG it says that it has expired. Someone was saying that you need a certin firmware to get them but all they ofer for unit is 7.903. Does that mean I can no longer update the maps?

Ask a Question