map guarantee update question

Hi,

I just got the TomTom XXL 540S and ran the Latest Map Guarantee the other day under TomTom Home. The only map update option I see is for the U.S., Canada, and Mexico map combo. Is there no way to just install certain countries? All I really need is the U.S. map. I was hoping that I could save some more space on the gps by just installing the U.S map.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Thats disappointing to hear. I was hoping that there was a way to be able to select which maps you wanted to install or be able to remove certain maps later on if you wanted to. With the limited space remaing and with no SD card slot I'm worried about this in the future as the maps keep increasing in size. I really hope that in the near future TomTom will provide a means to be able to install/uninstall maps of countries & even states.

I am sure TT realized the size issue. They are not going to make the NA map expand so that it will not fit on their gps.... the problem is all the other stuff we put on that takes away the space. You have to asked yourself... do I need all those other POI ...etc,

In fact, TomTom DID screw up with BOTH the initial offerings of the 830 and 835 maps for the 330 models. Seems they finally got it right with the 840 map; at least, I haven't seen reports of issues with the install of it.

They should have put in a larger internal flash memory drives in these units that were released this year. 2GB just isn't enough, especially when there isn't any microSD card slot available. The U.S., Canada, Mexico map alone takes nearly 1.7GB. I stripped my gps of all the TTS voices except for one and most of the car icons ect. and I still only have 105MB of free space remaining. I know that TomTom will try to keep the map size to a minimum so that it will continue to fit on our devices, but at what cost? Will they remove map detail like garmin keeps doing? I just don't get it. Flash memory is so cheap right now, why wouldn't you put at least 3GB in these gps units so atleast there is some cushion and wiggle room for maps and other things in the future.

Last edited:

Ask a Question