Latest Map guarantee expired after 60 days

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live1535
So I check to see how the latest Map guarantee can get me to the 860 and I get the notice saying it has expired.. !??

Then I discover a dropdown box ( Home website) that can 'extend' my guarantee and I get the following notice . Not available for you..
( see attached) ..
I bought the Tom Tom Sept 30th 2010 ( Less than 60 days) with the expectation that out of Garmin and Tom Tom ...,, TT was superior..
I'm seriously having doubts about that and will no longer keep Tom Tom in the 'bragging' dept to others who wish to buy a GPS. ...

Attachments

• map update.JPG
    map update.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 581
If you read here often, you'll find ample warning in many threads about how to manage the 30 day LMG. If you're close (no more than 28 days or so) to an anticipated quarterly map release, it's worth the wait to see if it shows up before your guarantee expires. If not, you run the risk of having the most recent map arrive after your 30 days are up. Once you're within a couple of days, it's better not to take the risk, and to go ahead and grab whatever is current.

We've been preaching that here for eons.

Sorry you got caught.

I was unaware that there was some sort of extension available, or of a 60 day possibility. Can you elaborate?

elaborating is this first screen shot ,, the second screen shot I provided earlier is the extension of that link clicked on ....

Attachments

• updates.JPG
    updates.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 433
You are getting confused, I'm afraid, with what an 'extension' is supposed to be.

It is an add-on that shows how many weeks your mapshares are out of date. It has nothing to do with extending the LMG from 30 to 60 days. That always has been and remains 30 days for the non 2405 or 2505 models. Only those two models have the 30 days extended to 90 since, frankly, the My Home functionality to get new maps doesn't work as yet...........

I agree that the information screen is confusing and not user friendly. Also, a poor choice of words ('extension') doesn't help matters.

OK .. I am this close to buying a Map.. But Question:
If I buy a years worth ( four updates ) for $60.00 .. Is the map updates good for any tom tom device or JUST the one I currently own?
In other words If my gps fails or gets damaged or I loose it and have to buy another.. what about my 'contract' of map updates??
Would Tom Tom honor them on another device??????

No, subscriptions are not transferable between units, That's TT's policy BUT I have heard that on a case-by-case situation the subscription has been transferred.

Just do NOT count on it.

So under normal wear and tear how long does a GPS device last for on average? More than year- to three years??

and what about Garmin? al lthe same type of service (updates) plans??

Three years is about right when you consider that a lithium ion battery may be getting tired by then. Of course, lots of us have replaced our batteries, too. Not all that painful.

If you want to see how long these things last, just look down in to the forum section for users of 300/510/700/910 models. Some of those units were produced in 2005.

Ask a Question