Voice Recognition on 720 - Discussion

ok thanks to lord and you guys all the problems are solved.

the problem was with my pc (a desktop running on xp) and i was running the old version of home. i had some apps on the sd card, so i removed them from there and transferred 'em to the internal memory. then i connected my gps to my laptop (runnin on vista) and installed the new version of home. now my maps and apps have the latest version. (thanks to you guys, i got more help from you than tomtom's customer sevice. they were baically a waste of my time.)

after that i followed all the instructions to have VR on my gps. now the VR icon and everything is there, but when i speak to it it doesnt do anything. any suggestion guys? i mean both the spoken address (dialog) and spoken address icons are there but when i tap on them i see the keybord. and on one of the keys i see an icon similar to spoken address (dialog) i tap on it and then speak but still it doesnt pick up anythin i say? guys please help me.

and one more thing is that when i connect my gps to Home (latest version) how do i go to external memory and put music in it? i only saw internal memory. also help me with this one guys. i dont wanna call tomtom's customer support because they are really a waste of time.

guys can you help me a little with the problems i stated above. though i wrote all my problems are solved, but there are few new problems. i guess i wrote too much and when you guys saw that "all the problems are solved" sentence. you guys thought everything was ok. so guys plz help me.

Do you see the bars on the upper left when the Tomtom is "listening"? If so, you're in the proper VR screen.

If the bars move up as you are talking, then things would be working, and probably Tomtom just can't understand what you're saying. Try to speak slower and loud enough to get the bars about 75% high when talking.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, VR is more hassle than its worth on the 720. It requires so many taps (and misunderstands stuff) that it's not worth using in my opinion.

Do you see the bars on the upper left when the Tomtom is "listening"? If so, you're in the proper VR screen.

If the bars move up as you are talking, then things would be working, and probably Tomtom just can't understand what you're saying. Try to speak slower and loud enough to get the bars about 75% high when talking.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, VR is more hassle than its worth on the 720. It requires so many taps (and misunderstands stuff) that it's not worth using in my opinion.

the thing is whenever i tap spoken address or spoken address (dialog) the screen with bars shows only for less than a second, then keyboard appears. it's just same as if i tapped navigate to button. can u plz help me.

the thing is whenever i tap spoken address or spoken address (dialog) the screen with bars shows only for less than a second, then keyboard appears. it's just same as if i tapped navigate to button. can u plz help me.

Edit - I just remembered something:
1) Navigate somewhere using the normal keyboard, and make sure you choose a state (not USA). If the Tomtom is in USA mode, the VR won't work.
2) Second, make sure that there is a cspeech_XX.dat file in your North America 2GB folder for the state that you chose.

I honestly haven't used VR in a long time - I remember that way back when I tried it out, it gave me at least 2-3 seconds to speak.

There's a bug where Navigate to spoken crossstreet hasn't worked since app 8.350, but otherwise I've never heard anything like your issue reported before.

If something above doesn't work, perhaps you should try the normal steps when Tomtom does something abnormal:
- pin reset
- clear flash three times
- backup first, then delete loose files (not folders) in the root of the Tomtom and have home re-install the app

It's just a wild guess here, I'm not familiar with VR.

Last edited:
Edit - I just remembered something:
1) Navigate somewhere using the normal keyboard, and make sure you choose a state (not USA). If the Tomtom is in USA mode, the VR won't work.
2) Second, make sure that there is a cspeech_XX.dat file in your North America 2GB folder for the state that you chose.

I honestly haven't used VR in a long time - I remember that way back when I tried it out, it gave me at least 2-3 seconds to speak.

There's a bug where Navigate to spoken crossstreet hasn't worked since app 8.350, but otherwise I've never heard anything like your issue reported before.

If something above doesn't work, perhaps you should try the normal steps when Tomtom does something abnormal:
- pin reset
- clear flash three times
- backup first, then delete loose files (not folders) in the root of the Tomtom and have home re-install the app

It's just a wild guess here, I'm not familiar with VR.

tried them but didnt work

You do have a text file called support_asr.dat with nothing but a 1 in it, no quotes, spaces or anything else and the file is in the asr folder?

About the music on the external sdhc card.....

1. Must be in mp3 format
2. Must reside in a folder called mp3 on the card (all lower case)

And did you do as mvl suggested in doing a Navigate to --> City and select a state for the city? And make sure that state's cspeechXX.dat file is in the NA map folder? (all this without trying the VR options)

And did you do as mvl suggested in doing a Navigate to --> City and select a state for the city? And make sure that state's cspeechXX.dat file is in the NA map folder? (all this without trying the VR options)
ya i gave it a try but still not working.

the thing is everytime i tap on spoken address & spoken address (dialog) it works, but stays less than a sec, and then keyboard appears. i dont know why. i still need help

When the keyboard appears, do you see a message saying 'input not recognized' as it switches to the keyboard?

I don't know what else to suggest other than for you to call support at 866-486-6866.

Sorry, I couldn't help more.

I don't know what else to suggest other than for you to call support at 866-486-6866.

Sorry, I couldn't help more.

it's ok buddy u dont have to say sorry. u guys really tried to help me though an i appreciate and thank all of you guys. but i gave up on the VR now after failing all the time. but i did order a remote for 720 so i guess it will make my job a little easier than tapping on scree.

customer support wont help anyway because 720 doesnt offer this feature. so after knowing this hack they wont help me at all. once again thanks for your help man.

You could do a full wipeout and reinstall of your tomtom in case something else is fishy with the software.

- First backup everything per this link.
- then reformat the tomtom drive as fat32
- then download and reinstall your app via update my GO
- then redownload your map (either update my GO, or add traffic... -> items on my computer)
, then download your voices
- then manually add the support_asr file

kinda drastic, and trust me: 720 VR isn't that good, I wouldn't go through the trouble if I were you.

The 740 VR has improved, but I still feel VR is a place where Tomtom severely lags behind the competition.

guys i figured that i did something wrong. i put the cspeech files in North_America_2GB folder. i thought that was the map file you guys are talking about. but then today i saw there is actually a folder called maps which i didnts see before. so transferred all my cspeech files there.

but the problem is after transferring, now i see that the icon spoken address & spoken address (dialog) are grayed out and i can't tap on them.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN NOW???

No, the speech files DO go in the NA folder, not the one called 'maps'.

You know, when all is said and done, VR isn't worth the effort in most cases, just as mvl said.

just to add onto this long thread. Will the North America 710 cspeech files and support.dat file work with the 830.2284 map?

Ask a Question