Voice Recognition on 720 - Discussion

Thanks for the info - got voice commands up and running on my GO720 for Australian and W.European maps, but cannot get New Zealand to work because I do not have file cspeech_nz.dat - does anyone have it or can they send it to me?

Vr 720

Hi everyone, just joined and have been tweaking a refurb 720 for VR. Have followed instructions posted for the files and have gotten to the point where you tap the VR (dialog) and then the screen goes to the city entry screen, the lips are at the bottom of the screen but nothing happens.

App 8.35 (9982/09051880 OS 315.5187
gps V1.20, Boot 5.5120
Map North_america_2GB v840.2562.

I've found it pretty much worthless on my 720. First you seem to have to get narrowed to a city (but not all cities seem to work) for vr to be truly active, once there I try to get it to find a street and the vr responds and "searches" but never finds anything. I've had mine a couple years and have gone back a few times triyng to get it working without any luck.

Hi everyone, just joined and have been tweaking a refurb 720 for VR. Have followed instructions posted for the files and have gotten to the point where you tap the VR (dialog) and then the screen goes to the city entry screen, the lips are at the bottom of the screen but nothing happens.

App 8.35 (9982/09051880 OS 315.5187
gps V1.20, Boot 5.5120
Map North_america_2GB v840.2562.

Make sure in the Navigate to-->City, you have a specific state selected not just the USA flag

720 vr

When I tap Navigate to... it takes me to a scren with Home, Address and Point of Interest,I tap Address then it goes to a screen with City center etc and the Spoken address and Spoken address(dialog), when I tap Spoken address (dialog) it shows one moment please and instantly goes to a screen with the keyboard and City in the upper left hand corner, there is a square at the bottom with a pair of red lips. My state is Georgia and it shows GA on the top right side.

Last edited:
Make sure within the asr folder you have a text file called support_asr.dat with nothing in it. No characters, spaces, carriage returns. And make sure it's not REALLY called support_asr.dat.txt (uncheck hide extensions for known file types in Control panel, folder options, view, advanced).

Also, within your NA map folder should be about 63 cspeech_XX.dat files. Especially one called cspeech_GA.dat

720 vr

Thanks dhn, I started yesterday reading this forum, you and Pedro seem to have the answers, I tried everything several times and still have a problem. The speech files are not in the map files so I put the GA file in, didn't work so I deleted some voice files and left one computer voice in and put all the csspeech files in the map file which is NA map and it did not work. I have another 720 that works w/VR. so I will figure it out.

Thanks again

Last edited:

Ask a Question