Voice Recognition on 720 - Discussion

ok figured it out...my file was hiding the txt part at the end...had to go into control panel, folder options and turn off hide extensions for known files

Voice Recogntion

I see the voice recognition options and I see the voice icon below the keyboard but it is grayed out? What have I done wrong?

I see the voice recognition options and I see the voice icon below the keyboard but it is grayed out? What have I done wrong?

You have to follow the instructions in the sticky precisely. Double check everything.

To enable Voice Recognition on your 720 you must need the following:
  • NA Maps 7.10 version with voice recognition files. Here is an example:
Pedro -- the files you listed are, I believe, the files that the TT uses when it pronounces things in each state and Canada using the computerized voices -- the opposite of the recognition side. The files provide pronunciation rules for a variety of place names that would otherwise be pretty well butchered by the standard pronunciation algorithm the TT uses.

The files that need to be present for recognition need to be in the "asr" folder, and look like this:

6DUB.CTX
6DUN.CTX
acmod3200_car_dub_f16_compact_lew4.dat
acmod3200_car_dub_f16_compact_lew4.dat
digitsDUB.ctx
digitsDUN.ctx
yes_no_DUB.ctx
yes_no_DUN.ctx

For English, you'll want the *ENG.dat and *ENG.ctx versions of those files in place. Clearing out those for other languages is another way to save some space. A few folks cleared them all out on their 720's not realizing that they could use them with the asr patch to enable voice recognition.

Last edited:
The files you listed may be part of it.
The unit shouldn't need the state files to pronounce the states and Canada because it already uses Loquendo's text to speech to do that.

Voice Recognition on GO 720

Hello

I am new to this forum. I have been reading for some weeks now and find it very informative.

I have one question though, I am trying to get voice recognition to work on my G0 720.

I have the most up to date map for USA Canada. I understand that map version does not have the voice files needed. I understand that I need to get the NA 7.10 map.

Can anyone tell me where I can download this map from ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.:)

Hello

I am new to this forum. I have been reading for some weeks now and find it very informative.

I have one question though, I am trying to get voice recognition to work on my G0 720.

I have the most up to date map for USA Canada. I understand that map version does not have the voice files needed. I understand that I need to get the NA 7.10 map.

Can anyone tell me where I can download this map from ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.:)
I'm not clear who gets the US/Canada vs. NorthAmerica_2GB maps.

If you will use TomTom Home in the first 30 days of your initialization of TomTom Home (you'll need to be sure you have one of the 2.x versions of it first - available under TomTomPlus Services at the TomTom site), you will find under the "File" pulldown a "Latest Maps Guarantee". See which version is provided to you if you use this feature.

voice recognition for 720

i have map version 705.1481 north america. i downloaded support_asr.dat and put it in asr folder on tomtom. it does show voice recognition after i navigate to address but it shows a grey icon on bottom of screen. where do you put " only type the number 1" and save it suppose to go cause i tried it and it didnt work. the only place the voice worked was for the number in the last step of recognition and would only let me do one number. please help. thanks, steve

i have map version 705.1481 north america. i downloaded support_asr.dat and put it in asr folder on tomtom. it does show voice recognition after i navigate to address but it shows a grey icon on bottom of screen. where do you put " only type the number 1" and save it suppose to go cause i tried it and it didnt work. the only place the voice worked was for the number in the last step of recognition and would only let me do one number. please help. thanks, steve
Won't work with that map set. You need a 710 set, not a 705 set.

Strange. I went to enable this on my new tom tom 720. This feature worked out of the box. I live in the US and have made no modifications to the unit at all.

Strange. I went to enable this on my new tom tom 720. This feature worked out of the box. I live in the US and have made no modifications to the unit at all.

Now, THAT is interesting! Thanks for the info....

(maybe TomTom gave up and rather switched than fight:) ). Sounds as if you have a very new unit.

Ask a Question