Voice Recognition on 720 - Discussion

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I have map version. "north-america-2gb" version 710.1584

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I have map version. "north-america-2gb" version 710.1584

Well.......that would seem to me that for the newest 720 units, TomTom has enabled Voice Recognition at the factory. If so, I guess we can stop calling the VR a 'hack' and start calling it a 'feature'.

I just bought a 720 to enable the voice recognition and its bluetooth capability. So far, I'm very irritated because I don't have an ASR folder and also because my t-mobile dash won't link to the 720. Can I add the ASR folder manually or not? What version should my map be? How do I find that out? I know that my firmware is 7.010, is this out of date, if so how do I upgrade?

Thanks to all.

U need to use TomTom Home to upgrade the firmwire. Create a tomtom account using your email address.
I'm not to familiar but if you update your 720, it may provide you with the ASR folder.
Do not forget to make a backup before you do anything.
If you just purchased your 720, you should be able to get the 7.15 North America map. Currently you can only do this by calling TomTom Support: 866-486-6866. Be ready to scan your receipt and if your box came with a map promotion code. They will upload the new map to your TomTom account.
Start there then follow the directions on the first post.

I registered w/ tt Home and got my updates, but as soon as I remove the unit from the USB, within seconds a big red flashing X appears on the right side of the screen. I've turned it on and off but nothing. I went to tt home and it says I don't own either maps or POIs, is this normal after an update?

Thanks to all.

I hope you made a backup, like suggest. Restore back to it.
You may have disconnect the unit wrong. To disconnect it properly exit home by clikcing on file and selecting exit. Then safetly stop the omtomt device or turn it off. This will disconnect the unit from the computer, then you can safetly remove the unit from the dock.

I hope you made a backup, like suggest. Restore back to it.
You may have disconnect the unit wrong. To disconnect it properly exit home by clikcing on file and selecting exit. Then safetly stop the omtomt device or turn it off. This will disconnect the unit from the computer, then you can safetly remove the unit from the dock.

Or, to disconnect the device first, use the Disconnect Device submenu option. Then, to close the program itself, File-->Exit.

Probably, six of one, half dozen of the other! ;)

After I restored, I noticed I can no longer pick up a signal. I get sometype of location listed on the tt as "Tamuning GU." I went ahead and logged on tt home at their website and it says I do not own either the US map or POIs. What now???

After I restored, I noticed I can no longer pick up a signal. I get sometype of location listed on the tt as "Tamuning GU." I went ahead and logged on tt home at their website and it says I do not own either the US map or POIs. What now???

Call tomtom support. The number is in one of Pedro's posts a few up. There is definitely something very weird going on.

Try to be VERY precise when you explain exactly what is happening and what you are seeing.

I went ahead and restored defaults which made me go through set up again and then the maps appeared and a signal was caught. I updated using TT home and now have firmware 7.221 with an ASR folder. I followed the directions as listed and have the options, not grayed out, of spoken address and spoken address (dialogue) but when i click on either one there is no type of prompt of "state city, state street, and house number." What could be wrong? How do I find out my map version? Do I need to be using a certain voice, I'm w/ Susan right now?

I went ahead and restored defaults which made me go through set up again and then the maps appeared and a signal was caught. I updated using TT home and now have firmware 7.221 with an ASR folder. I followed the directions as listed and have the options, not grayed out, of spoken address and spoken address (dialogue) but when i click on either one there is no type of prompt of "state city, state street, and house number." What could be wrong? How do I find out my map version? Do I need to be using a certain voice, I'm w/ Susan right now?

Susan speaks to you. She is a computer voice used for TTS (text to speech). She also gives the prompts for VR; I use her.

okay.......you have 1 requirement, the firmware version is correct. To check your map version, do this. On your unit, tap the satellite bars. You'll see the firmware version you quoted above. Now, tap that the screen on the version info. You'll see on the next screen the map version. It **must** be at least North America 7.10 or higher, not USA & Canada.

If you've passed that hurdle, then the next has to do with the support_asr.dat file. Is it in the asr folder? Are you sure there is no extension on the file when you created it so that it is really support_asr.dat.txt? You don't want that. If you are ok this far, then are you sure there is only the value '1' (no quotes) in the file?

If you are ok this far, let me ask the following. When you tapped 'spoken address (dialogue)' [and this is the one you should choose, btw], do you see on the screen 'one moment' or does it go directly to the screen where you should speak the city name? And, when you get to that screen, are the lips still active (in colour, not greyed out?)

If everything seems ok.......all I can suggest is perhaps, you have the volume turned down to 0% on the machine.

I think we might have our problem, it says "Map: 'North_America_2GB' v705.1481". So, if this is version 7.05 and not the 7.10 needed, how do I get the right map?

I think we might have our problem, it says "Map: 'North_America_2GB' v705.1481". So, if this is version 7.05 and not the 7.10 needed, how do I get the right map?

If you've had the unit less than 30 days, you are eligible for the newest map which is NA 7.15. Use TTHome's Map guarantee option but I STRONGLY suggest you get a sd card of at least 2 gigs. Will make your life easier.

Well, I was finally able to get an updated map of 7.10 for North America (1.3 GB) but it downloaded to my computer and not the 720 through tt home. The 720 is using 1.7 GB/2 GB and has a north america folder but the unit only has a map for guam. How can i safely place the new map without deleting anything necessary?

Well, I was finally able to get an updated map of 7.10 for North America (1.3 GB) but it downloaded to my computer and not the 720 through tt home. The 720 is using 1.7 GB/2 GB and has a north america folder but the unit only has a map for guam. How can i safely place the new map without deleting anything necessary?

You buy the 2 gig sd card I told you about and let TTHome install it there.

Why won't it work :(

Hi All,

I was so excited to find this forum, and all of the wonderful information on activating the voice recognition function. I just got my GO720 last night, and I immedediately went to work making sure I had the correct firmware version, adding the file to the ARS folder, and even calling TomTom support, scanned my receipt, and had them load maps 7.10 in my account!

So, I get home, all ready to upload the new maps. I made a back-up of my TomTom, deleted the old maps (kind of scary thing to do), and then tried to upload the new maps. Everything came to a screeching halt. TomTom Home said that I did not have an internet connection (not correct!), and the TomTom website did not respond to any of my requests (clicked on question history, my maps, etc., and absolutely nothing happened!). Shut down my computer, and restarted. Didn't help. Used a different USB port for the TomTom cradle. Didn't help. Uninstalled TomTom home, and reinstalled the older version that came on the disk in the box. This time, instead of saying no internet connection, it said there was a problem contacting TomTom Plus and to try again later.

What am I doing wrong?? Is the TomTom website down, and that's why I can't access TomTom Plus??

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Janice

Ask a Question