Voice Recognition on 720 - Discussion

Thank you for the welcome! I tried this morning, and I was able to access the website.

I was not prepared for how long it would take to download the updated maps (and, I needed my TomTom this morning to get around huge traffic delays - figures!), but when I got home, everything was loaded. And, the voice recognition worked like a charm!

Thank you so much to those who helped the rest of us access that great feature!

Janice

outstanding!

updated to 7.15 map
added the .dat file

i am up and running.
too bad my town name is some crazy indian pronunciation, and the TT doesn't want to translate it!! lol

all is good.
thanks for the info!!!

Hi Pedro2NR,

I just recently update my TT720 with all of the latest software and firmware, application 7.221, map NAv710.1584, to enable VR, somehow throughtout this process my VR is not working correctly or it is installed incorretly. In my ASR file, I have installed three files, support_asr.dat, navcore_7.22.8572.gox20.cab, and navcore_7.22.8572.gox20tox. When I go to navigate to, and then to address, I see the Spoken address and Spoken address (dialog) icons; however when I go to the SA (dialog) I get a message, " one moment please" next the TT ask me to state a city, I state a city, no response. The microphone icon is also gray. When I also go to SA, I get the same problem.
I have backup and restored my tt several time and still get the same problems with the VR. I would appreciate it very much if you can help me to enable my VR. Thanks

Hi Pedro2NR,

I just recently update my TT720 with all of the latest software and firmware, application 7.221, map NAv710.1584, to enable VR, somehow throughtout this process my VR is not working correctly or it is installed incorretly. In my ASR file, I have installed three files, support_asr.dat, navcore_7.22.8572.gox20.cab, and navcore_7.22.8572.gox20tox. When I go to navigate to, and then to address, I see the Spoken address and Spoken address (dialog) icons; however when I go to the SA (dialog) I get a message, " one moment please" next the TT ask me to state a city, I state a city, no response. The microphone icon is also gray. When I also go to SA, I get the same problem.
I have backup and restored my tt several time and still get the same problems with the VR. I would appreciate it very much if you can help me to enable my VR. Thanks

If you are saying the navcore files are in a ASR FOLDER on your unit, then that is incorrect. The navcore.cab file is the compilation of the software files for your unit and should not be on your unit at all; they belong in the Download folder on our computer.

As far as the support_asr.dat file is concerned: it DOES belong in the ASR folder. Make sure you have Windows set to unhide known file extensions in order to make sure you didn't save the file as support_asr.dat.txt in error. Also, make sure there is just the value '1' (no quotes) in that file.

Speech Recognition only partially working on new GO720

Hi All,

I have only had my first GO720for a couple of days. Am in Australia and I have been reading the forum with interest. However voice recognition does not seem to works on mine as described by Pedro2NR.

1. I do not have the .DAT files listed ( where do I get them from & what are they ? are they USA only ?)

2. I have Firmware 7.221 & unsure of Australian Map Version ( how can I check it ?)
3. Spoken Ad
dress (& (diagloue)) are greyed yet the 'mouth & microphone " button operates perfectly on the keyboard.

How can I get it all working ?

Thanks for your help,
Peter

Hi All,

I have only had my first GO720for a couple of days. Am in Australia and I have been reading the forum with interest. However voice recognition does not seem to works on mine as described by Pedro2NR.

1. I do not have the .DAT files listed ( where do I get them from & what are they ? are they USA only ?)

2. I have Firmware 7.221 & unsure of Australian Map Version ( how can I check it ?)
3. Spoken Ad
dress (& (diagloue)) are greyed yet the 'mouth & microphone " button operates perfectly on the keyboard.

How can I get it all working ?

Thanks for your help,
Peter

From all I've read, I'm not sure the Australian version can handle Voice Recognition (on the other hand, neither was the North american version, but it did ... with a hack).

Anyway, your firmware is ok. Check your map as follows: tap the signal bars of the satellites on your unit, that'll show the version number (7.221). Now, tap the version number and you'll see the map and version number. Here's where I'm not sure the Oz version has the appropriate files. Nevertheless, for North Americans, the map HAD to be North America 7.10 or higher.

Finally, it is YOU who creates the support_asr.dat file in notepad and put it into the asr folder.

If your post referred to the existence of cspeech.dat files not being in your map folder for Australia, then I suspect all the above is for naught and your map won't allow it.

From all I've read, I'm not sure the Australian version can handle Voice Recognition (on the other hand, neither was the North american version, but it did ... with a hack).

Anyway, your firmware is ok. Check your map as follows: tap the signal bars of the satellites on your unit, that'll show the version number (7.221). Now, tap the version number and you'll see the map and version number. Here's where I'm not sure the Oz version has the appropriate files. Nevertheless, for North Americans, the map HAD to be North America 7.10 or higher.

Finally, it is YOU who creates the support_asr.dat file in notepad and put it into the asr folder.

If your post referred to the existence of cspeech.dat files not being in your map folder for Australia, then I suspect all the above is for naught and your map won't allow it.

DHN ,
Thanks,
- The OS is 7.221,
- The Maps are 700.1491 (The latest I believe - well according to the big electronics store that sold it to me)
- support_asr.dat has a One in it & was in ASR when I bought last week
- cspeech.dat is in J:\Australia (attached)
- Speech Recognition works out of the box ok off the keyboard button but the two buttone described by Pedro2NR are greyed [Spoken Address & Spoken Address(Dialogue)]

The question is how do I turn on the two buttons ?

Everything else seem to me there and functioning except these buttons.
Fortunately I can use the third button on the keyboard for voice recognition ok but I would like to get the main two working if possible ?

Thanks again for your help !
Peter :confused:

Attachments

• J-Australia on TomTom.jpg
    J-Australia on TomTom.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 359
the support_asr.dat is what allows the menu items to come up. If you do not see this then there is something wrong with it.
have you tried using the support_asr.dat file I provided in the first post?

Don't ask nothing ...

I see the voice recognition options and I see the voice icon below the keyboard but it's not working

I see the voice recognition options and I see the voice icon below the keyboard but it's not working

Go back to the very first message in this thread where there is a step by step list of what's needed in terms of map version, software version, required file that must be created and in which folder it must go. SKIP NOYTHING when you go through his message.

If all criteria are met, it works! Trust me.

Well, after 4 months, I was finally able to get my new map download (Hughesnet.com SUX, btw).
All seems fine, and the voice recognition works (although it does not seem to like my "west coast accent" at ALL).
I did have to delete the Spanish and French voices to free up enough space for the new map, but oh well....
My one irritant now is that all of my favorites are gone!
Does anyone know, is this normal, or in my enthusiasm to delete unused stuff, did I inadvertantly delete my favorites, as well?

Well, after 4 months, I was finally able to get my new map download (Hughesnet.com SUX, btw).
All seems fine, and the voice recognition works (although it does not seem to like my "west coast accent" at ALL).
I did have to delete the Spanish and French voices to free up enough space for the new map, but oh well....
My one irritant now is that all of my favorites are gone!
Does anyone know, is this normal, or in my enthusiasm to delete unused stuff, did I inadvertantly delete my favorites, as well?

If you have a backup for prior to the new map download (and you do, don't you? ;) ), then simply copy from the map folder of the backup to the map folder in the new download the following file: mapsettings.cfg. That's where your favourites, sounds for poi warnings and other stuff is kept.

If you have a backup for prior to the new map download (and you do, don't you? ;) ), then simply copy from the map folder of the backup to the map folder in the new download the following file: mapsettings.cfg. That's where your favourites, sounds for poi warnings and other stuff is kept.

Thanks dhn, I did actually find them, and yes, indeed, I most certainly have a backup. That is one lesson that I learned the hard way. TT's backups are not worth much, so I do a complete drag and drop, each and every time that I make any changes to my 720!

Voice Recognition on 720 always shows sound level low

I have followed the advice from all the associated post and now have the voice recognition icons in color. The problem I am having is that when I try to use the spoken address or the spoken address dialogue and the unit ask for the location I always get the listening screen and the low sound icon.

After the unit times out it states that it did not understand. Any suggestions?

I just updated my 720 to the latest map which is the 7.15 but my firmware version is 7.480 now. Is it correct the voice recognition wont work with this firmware version ?

If not, is there a way to change my firmware back to 7.221 that is needed?

Any suggestions & comments.

Thank You

Last edited:

Ask a Question