Voice Recognition on GoLive 1535TM

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1534TM
I'm new to this forum, so I hope I am in the right spot to ask this question:

Is there a tutorial on how to ask directions in voice recognition mode. Some work just fine; eg.
Drive Home, Go To Starbucks. But asking for ("Drive to...") a POI give erratic results. My wife put on a POI category of "Quilt Shops" and asking to drive to the nearest quilt shop gets echoed back, "navigate to the nearest Swiss chalet; is that correct?"

It is frustrating, but there must be a set of phonemes or something that the system recognizes that we can practice to make it understand us. I even have a hard time when I answer "yes" to a question: Samantha wants me to respond as a question. That is, if I raise the tone of my voice at the end of the word yes, she responds; if I answer with a curt yes, she just sits there.

Anyone have any ideas, or do I just talk like I have mush in my mouth?

Thanks,
ptlycldy

The POI it verbally understands is a built-in list of major national brands. It does not interpret custom POI that you load.

Also, the cadence of speaking is something you need to get used to. Same issue with all voice command systems, the technology isn't that great yet. Tomtom seems to work best if you speak loud but not screaming, and a bit slowly, like you are giving a presentation to a room of 30 people without a microphone. Or as another customer said, if you speak like a drill sergeant.

["It does not interpret custom POI that you load."]

Thanks for your prompt response--
Discouraging though. Guess, I'll have to teach my wife the ins and out of the screen menu. Thought I could justify the cost of the unit to her by having her being able to say, "Navigate to the nearest quilt shop." ;=}

PtlyCldy

Nope. It doesn't understand phonemes at all, only a list of predefined words. AND it has no "learning" capability.
You can see the list off commands it understands (or tries to!) it on the device itself by selecting "What can I say?" in the Settings - Voice control menu.

Discouraging though. Guess, I'll have to teach my wife the ins and out of the screen menu. Thought I could justify the cost of the unit to her by having her being able to say, "Navigate to the nearest quilt shop." ;=}
All is not necessarily lost. :oops:

If most of these are places to which you anticipate going, or to which you have been recently, you can add these locations to your Favorites file. Once they are in your Favorites list, it is possible to use Voice Commands to request routing to them. You just say, "Drive to a Favorite". The device will display the first 5 names (if my memory is correct) from the Favorites list. You are then asked to speak the number corresponding to your destination, or to tell the device to display the next 5 names in the Favorites list. When you reach the screen that includes the destination, speak the number that corresponds to that destination and the routing will be generated.

- Tom -

Ask a Question