Voice Recognition on 720 - Discussion

You have to have a computer voice selected. Also, manually plan a route making sure your state or province is selected.

The cspeechxxdat files must be in the specific map folder (probably North_America) while the support_asr.dat file should be in the asr folder.

Computer voice - check (susan)

I go into "navigate to" when I select either of the voice choice's you see the "half gear with lips" graphic with the green Ca (California) road sign under and "One moment please" for a half second, then it goes to the keyboard entry.

If I go to "street & number" it shows the last city and the Ca. road sign, if I press the voice icon on the lower right the Ca. road sign disappears & you're left with just the keyboard, thanks for your help...

Last edited:
Soft reset (button on bottom) no change, reset to factory defaults, no change. It pisses me off they disable a feature like this yet they add a bunch off useless first aid crap etc.. How about you help me keep my eyes on the road so I don't need first aid mr. tom tom...

This feature has not been disabled. Works on my unit and thousands more. Just some files are not set properly on yours.
What model do you have? What application level? (tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the application level).

Ok, not enabled by default.
Tomtom 720 go
App: 8.351
Gps v1.20
Boot 5.5120
Map North_America_2gb v835.2419

Again thanks for your help...

My understanding is that voice recognition is disabled on American 720s, but enabled in Europe.

Tomtom's US packaging never mentions voice recognition, it was planned as a Europe-only feature. Americans were supposed to buy a 920 for voice recognition.

But rather than making separate hardware, Tomtom just did a quick software-based disabling on the American models.

So I'd say we're lucky that it was so easy to re-enable the feature, as us Americans were never supposed to have it in the first place.

Lost my spoken address (worked great until last software update I did this past weekend). Anyone have any ideas on how to get it back? Pin reset didn't do the trick. Thanks for the help.

Tomtom 720 go
App: 8.351
Gps v1.20
Boot 5.5120
Map North_America_2gb v815.2019

Oh - I also lost all my favorites and the Navigate to "My Location" is greyed out now. I might just roll-back to a saved configuration.

Last edited:
1. Make sure you have the cspeechxx.dat files in the updated map folder. Sometimes what happens is that Home, "in its wisdom", determines there isn't enough space on the unit for them so doesn't extract them from the cab file downloaded. You can do it manually using winrar or equivalent. If the cspeech files ARE there, then look to see if the support_asr.dat file still resides in the asr folder.

2. Copy the mapsettings.cfg file from a backed up map folder to the new map folder on the unit (using Explorer). Then connect to Home and run the emulator (Operate my Go). Goto Manage favourites and make a change to one of them: Add one, delete one, edit one --- you choose.

Now, disconnect the unit properly from the computer and see if things are ok.

Thanks for the help dhn. I'll give it a try tonight and check back with an update.

Update - that did the trick. Thanks again for the help dhn.

Last edited:
Back to Broken

Well i was in this thread not too long ago and you guys helped me out but low and behold, thanks to the defective battery i had enough with on my 720 i shipped it back and got a replacement (refurb, ugh) today.

Well the speech worked out of the box but when i put the latest map and tom tom home something seemed to bork it. Can you guys help?

Currently:

Home version 2.7.3.1894
Map : 8.351

I have all the speech files in the North_America_2GB folder and the support dat file (1 byte with a "1" in it) in the ASR folder but yet the voice options are greyed out. If i use my phone to dial it tells me the speech files are not installed. Again, to use the navigate spoken menu its grayed out. Ive tried a few pin resets as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

I have all the speech files in the North_America_2GB folder and the support dat file (1 byte with a "1" in it) in the ASR folder but yet the voice options are greyed out. If i use my phone to dial it tells me the speech files are not installed. Again, to use the navigate spoken menu its grayed out. Ive tried a few pin resets as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Did you switch the state? The 720 defaults to USA as the state. ASR only works if a specific state within the US is chosen.

Are the cspeech files still there after the map update? If the drive is low on space, HOME silently strips the cspeech files during map install.

Did you switch the state? The 720 defaults to USA as the state. ASR only works if a specific state within the US is chosen.

Are the cspeech files still there after the map update? If the drive is low on space, HOME silently strips the cspeech files during map install.

Right you are my good man. Although i had my home location set i dont think i actually set the state and that was the problem. Very cool, thanks again!

Edit: on a worse note this refurb unit i got? Although ill admit i havent charged it much it keeps dying on me! Ill charge it overnight i guess but i sure hope i dont have to return THIS ONE TOO!

:mad:

Last edited:
Just found this site and thread and joined. Thank you to all that help us out.

I just purchased the 720 and everything worked until I installed Home and upgraded everything. I then lost the speech recognition.
I was told from the place I bought it that the voice recognition didn't work well anyway so not to worry about it. Not something I wanted to hear after making the purchase.

After following this thread to a "T" poof it's all working. Had to load all the files and support asr file.

Unfortunately the sales person was right. I am VERY lucky to get one city correct after 10 or more tries. It must not like me :)

I love this unit! My blue-tooth works like a charm with my HTC Touch Diamond but unfortunately the text feature does not work with my phone (not supported). Anyway to get his working :) ..... didn't think so thought it was worth a try.

App 8.351
Map 710.1584 North America 2GB

Welcome. While you appear to have the latest application, your map is almost 2 years old. Maps are on sale now at up to %40 off so you might consider upgrading. You'll get IQ routing and Advanced Lane Guidance and more up to date road information with a newer (840) map. Or, you've waited this long, a 845 map is due in about a month; however, the price for that will likely be full retail.

I should add that, for your location, you likely will NOT get any ALG with the newest map as I know of just less than 10 instances og ALG in all of Canada, none out west. Hopefully, the 845 map will show improvements.

Last edited:
If it was a new unit call support at 866-486-6866. If a refurbished unit, well, they are not supposed to be eligible for the LMG but call anyway, TT does offer the map on a case by case basis.

Ask a Question