USB Connection Issues

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
I get a "USB Device Not Recondnized" error when I try to connecto to my PC.Tried 2 different computers. Tom Tom says my unit is now defective and wont fix it. They offer a smal discount on a new replacement unit. Unit is 2 months out of warranty and now they are telling me it's broke???
WTF kind of customer service it that.
Anybody else have an issue like this?
Unit works fine other than I can no longer update anything. I also just bought a new $90 map update and the next day, (today) it fails. Something smells very fishy here.

What device model number/ name have you got as it might be possible to get something working via a memory card and card reader rather than the device acting as a PC connection - Mike

Mike & dhn, I have the GO 720 unit. I have reset the unit even after the CS said it wouldn't help.
They were right it didn't help. I do get the message (do you want to connect to your pc), after responding yes, I get the PC usb device error.
I also told them I was looking for a battery and they said they won't sell a new battery for the unit. So I have to keep it plugged in all the time now. I got it last August, so it is just out or warranty.

Last edited:
That is where I ordered my battery from also.
I'll check out the link on the batter instructions.
Thanks!
Didn't know all this was out here in a forum. Time to figure out this thing now....:confused:

Ok, back in front of the PC, now I can see the unit as a drive.
TT Home see's it, and will update device.
Disconnect unit and unit will not finish a boot sequence.
Hangs up on the flash screen, won't turn off without a reset.
Sounds like a corrupt file here, so I'm going to try a restore in the 5 minutes unless I hear back, NOT TO!

Fixed????

Did a restore and seems to bo OK right now.
This is strange, but I'm not complaining, just need to learn how it works I guess.
Thanks for the help!

Arno, just google "USB device not recognized". There are a ton of hits, I just selected one option to post.

Thanks, Dave, but there is a real problem. Trouble shooter cannot find anything wrong.
Typically, the mouse freezes and the Windows sounds for un-installed USB and immediately after new USB device found can be heard. Sometimes I get that pair of sounds 3 -4 times in a row.
Funniest bit is when the Window pops up and says click on here to trouble shoot. As the mouse is frozen I cannot move it to there. When it unfreezes, together with the new hardware found window, the trouble shooting one has gone.
I almost ordered a new one from the lenovo web site but I will call them tomorrow as the height on their web page is 5 mm more than my current IBM one. In the mean time it's back to the big PS2 mouse.
I credit the shallow, small size with not having had any carpal tunnel problems over the last eight years.
Cheers,
Arno

So, leaving the world of Tomtom troubleshooting - your freeze and eventual unfreezing of the USB mouse sounds like an interrupt or driver issue.

1) First, if you're on a laptop, the "pull the plug" approach doesn't kill the motherboard power. You'll need to pull the battery and pull the plug
2) rule out hardware by seeing if the mouse has issues on other computers
3) Assuming it works on other computers, if it's an interrupt issue, play with your bios and isolate the USB interrupt/IRQ so that nothing else uses the same interrupt.
4) driver-wise, remove all of the mouse drivers and see if default "windows usb mouse" drivers work

Good luck, this kind of stuff is really hard to troubleshoot over the phone, harder via back-and-forth forum messages...

1) First, if you're on a laptop, the "pull the plug" approach doesn't kill the motherboard power. You'll need to pull the battery and pull the plug.
Desktops.
2) rule out hardware by seeing if the mouse has issues on other computers
Identical problem on other Desktops.
Good luck, this kind of stuff is really hard to troubleshoot over the phone, harder via back-and-forth forum messages...
This subject had been finished for me but, lest others think I am rude, I feel compelled to reply to attempts to help with the original issue.

Ask a Question