USB connection problems GO Live 1000

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live 1000
Hi,

I have a Go Live 1000 GPS, which I once managed to update successfully via my laptop.

I recently lost all satellite communication with this device, and the TomTom site mentioned somewhere that I might need an update to fix this.

Using the same laptop as before, I plugged in the USB cable. The Tomtom device started automatically, but Windows (7, 64bit) claimed it could not connect the USB device.
I get an error saying "USB device not recognized".
MyTomTom also did not "see" the device as being connected to the laptop.
The device itself seems to know it should be trying to connect to the laptop, stating a connection is being made (which is not working out since Windows doesn't recognize the device).

I reinstalled MyTomTom (which I presume includes the USB drivers) and rebooted the PC.

The symptoms persisted.

However, once I navigated to my account settings in MyTomTom, suddenly a download started for the Go Live 1000 in the device window to the right.
Once the download completed, a message popped up, informing me the item was ready to install on my device. However, the device is still showing as not connected.

I reset my device by keeping the power button pressed for about 20 seconds, which rebooted the device, sounding the tamtam-drums, but to no avail.

What can I do to get this device connected to my laptop again?

Greetz

UncleBrazzie

When you do connect the unit to the computer, does a small computer icon appear on the unit?

Try connecting the unit to the computer with the power OFF and then turn it on.

Yes, the computer icon appears. I've connect the device to the laptop, and then switched on the device, as you suggested, but I get the same error, claiming the device cannot be connected.

MyTomTom still thinks the device isn't connected.

If you see the icon, it IS connected. Look under network devices in My Computer. Do you see an item there for the TT device?

I think many of us have had the experience where the MyTomTom tray application is happy with the connection, but the MyTomTom browser window insists it's not connected, and in those situations a simple disconnect and re-connect of the hardware has often kicked MyTT into recognising the device.

But I've also seen this sort of problem where NEITHER part of MyTT recognises the hardware, and not had a great deal of luck working out exactly how to fix it.
Sometimes it comes good by itself, sometimes not.

Completely uninstalling MyTomTom with something like Revo Uninstaller (rather than just a normal Windows uninstall) might be worth trying.

If you see the icon, it IS connected. Look under network devices in My Computer. Do you see an item there for the TT device?

I don't see it onder My Computer/Network (not sure why it should be there at all).

The device seems to know it's connected, but neither Windows nor MyTomTom seem to want to know about it, hence the downloaded update does not install on the device.

I think many of us have had the experience where the MyTomTom tray application is happy with the connection, but the MyTomTom browser window insists it's not connected, and in those situations a simple disconnect and re-connect of the hardware has often kicked MyTT into recognising the device.
It is in fact the tray application which is claiming the device isn't connected. That's why the update isn't applied. Disconnecting, stop-starting the device, nor device reset have made any difference.

As long as the USB connection isn't working, I'm pretty sure nothing will get this update on the rails.

I'll attempt a full uninstall of MyTomTom using something like Revo.

That device is not recognized as a removable drive in Windows as earlier models were. The user has no access to the file system on these newer models.

I don't see it onder My Computer/Network (not sure why it should be there at all).

Because that's how these models connect to the PC. They are actually mini-webservers and appear to the computer as a Network, device, NOT as one or two disk drives.

This big change is due to their legal settlement with Microsoft over the FAT32 file system and their desire to stop map piracy.

None of which info helps your present situation, I'm sorry to say.

Uninstalled MyTT with Revo, leaving no trace of the program.
Reinstalled with the device unplugged from the laptop. Connected the device whilst it was still shutdown. No reaction (earlier, it started up automatically, now it remains asleep).
Rebooted the device, still getting the error.

Nothing that looks like a TomTom device showing in My Computer/Network :(

Have you any access to another PC that you could try?

If you see the icon, it IS connected.

I'm not sure what that icon actually tells you....

On my main PC, for some unknown reason, whenever I connect or disconnect a NAV3 TomTom, the Windows process svchost.exe for Network Service goes into overdrive and takes up 99% CPU for about 30 seconds.... during which MyTomTom cannot see the TomTom and I can't even access ordinary webpages with my browser (the browser says "Looking for....")

But the little computer icon appears on the TomTom screen the moment I connect the USB cable, so I don't think it's an indication of anything much more than that you've plugged it in!.

I've tried it on my PC instead of the laptop: installed MyTomTom, connected the the device, and there's the error again. :(

And if you connect to the computer while the unit is off and THEN turn it on, does the desktop icon show it as connected (after a few seconds)??

And if you connect to the computer while the unit is off and THEN turn it on, does the desktop icon show it as connected (after a few seconds)??

Nope :(

Funny thing though; when I try that with the desktop PC, the device switches on automatically, but remains unconnected, as far as the PC can tell.
When I try it with the laptop, the device doesn't automatically turns on; however yesterday it did.

Humour me... You've tried a different USB cable, haven't you?

Ask a Question