USB connection in car

TomTom Model(s)
920 and 910
More and more cars offer USB connection to the car-stereo. That way, you can connect your mp3 player, cell-phone, usb-pin etc, and listen and manage the music from the car-stereo. The problem is tomtom, when connecting, ask for connection to your computer. You do not get access to the memory when running. Any way around? Anyone that can make a which to tomtom?

More and more cars offer USB connection to the car-stereo. That way, you can connect your mp3 player, cell-phone, usb-pin etc, and listen and manage the music from the car-stereo. The problem is tomtom, when connecting, ask for connection to your computer. You do not get access to the memory when running. Any way around? Anyone that can make a which to tomtom?

I don't have such a stereo, but when you tell TomTom that yes, you do want to connect to a computer, it should automatically share its drives. The trick then is, where is the stereo system looking for the music files, and what format does it need to be in for the stereo system to play it?

If the file system heirarchy or file format is incompatible, the alternative is to do what I do -- use the FM transmitter or the audio jack with a cassette tape adapter and pipe the music into the car's speaker system that way. Not as high-tech, but it works. :)

I have USB port in my car, and I use it to charge my GO920.....the only problem I have found so far, is that when i choose NO to connect to the computer, it will automatically shutdown after being idle for 3 mins...............

I use the FM transmitter to play mp3's and hear the directions off the TomTom.

Is there any way to stop it auto shutting down after 3mins idle time?

CHeers,

I have USB port in my car, and I use it to charge my GO920.....the only problem I have found so far, is that when i choose NO to connect to the computer, it will automatically shutdown after being idle for 3 mins...............

CHeers,

I suspect the preference-->battery saving-->shut down when external power lost should be unchecked. It may help.

I suspect the preference-->battery saving-->shut down when external power lost should be unchecked. It may help.

Thought of that, it remains unchecked and unfortunately doesnt help.......thanks for the reply.

CHeers,

If you just hit YES, it'll take an extra minute to boot up (PITA if you ask me) and then it will get you in. Don't know what effect that has on the radio's Mass Storage Device capabilities though.

My car charger must not be putting out enough milliamps because it does this to me every time I turn it on. If I find a way to make it stop, I'll let you know.

If you just hit YES, it'll take an extra minute to boot up (PITA if you ask me) and then it will get you in. Don't know what effect that has on the radio's Mass Storage Device capabilities though.

My car charger must not be putting out enough milliamps because it does this to me every time I turn it on. If I find a way to make it stop, I'll let you know.

If you hit YES, it connects to the MP3 folder and plays the tracks off it, you cannot use it as a navigator. It goes to the screen that it shows when you are normally connected to the computer.

Ask a Question