USB connection problem on go720

val

My usb CONNECTION ON UNIT BECAME LOOSE.CANNOT CONNECT.is here a video on how to access it.I took off the cover but the USB is under and i dont want to damage the unit.
Val

My usb CONNECTION ON UNIT BECAME LOOSE.CANNOT CONNECT.is here a video on how to access it.I took off the cover but the USB is under and i dont want to damage the unit.
Val
Are you certain it's the USB connection? Could very well be, but are you saying you don't see the green power light when connected? If it's just a lack of recognition of your unit when you plug it in, that COULD be a different problem. I had a 720 that required that I press the reset pin (bottom side, hole) every time I wanted to connect - for about 5 months. Then it miraculously "healed" itself and hasn't pestered me that way again since.

I also had a problem with the actual connection, but it turned out to be the pins on my car charger connector, not the 720. What happens when you plug your 720 into the PC docking station?

USB Connector

The connector is very loose on the unit.The green light comes on briefely when i jiggle the wire.

Thanks,
Val.

The connector is very loose on the unit.The green light comes on briefely when i jiggle the wire.

Thanks,
Val.
OK - got it. Last chance before the hard part. I had the charger end of one of my cables start to get goofy. Finally had to scrap the cable. My nearly-new one gave me no problems. Do you have a spare USB A - USB miniB cable around (camera or whatever)? If so, give that a try. Also give it a try in the docking station. If that doesn't work, you've got (at a minimum) a desoldering and replacement job on your hands.

USB conn.problem

OK - got it. Last chance before the hard part. I had the charger end of one of my cables start to get goofy. Finally had to scrap the cable. My nearly-new one gave me no problems. Do you have a spare USB A - USB miniB cable around (camera or whatever)? If so, give that a try. Also give it a try in the docking station. If that doesn't work, you've got (at a minimum) a desoldering and replacement job on your hands.

Thanks for all your help.I had a trip out of town and ennd up buying a new GO 630 at Wallmart 99.00 cdn.But i woul still like to fix the old 720,chalenge,I succeded with the video help to take it apart and the USB connector was loose and just fell out.Problem is i dont know what was holding it in place originally.Where do you apply the solder*?Any help would be appreciated.
Val.

I succeded with the video help to take it apart and the USB connector was loose and just fell out.Problem is i dont know what was holding it in place originally.Where do you apply the solder*?Any help would be appreciated.
Val.
Ugh. NOT good. Chances are about 99.999% that the pads (the copper bits to which the components are soldered) and possibly even the traces (the copper bits that carry the signals around) have been torn right off the board. Repair would require fixing the connector to the board with adhesive and re-creating the connections between the connector and alternate points on the board (where the ripped up traces were connected electrically) with 30ga wirewrap wire or similar. It's NOT an easy job, by any means, especially at SMT sizes.

Folks - I have been chasing details for past few days and looked at battery replacement tutorials, pcb fixes etc, and within this forum

on my 720 - my usb was ripped off the board (previous repair)

I am looking for a close up of this usb connection to determine the 5 pin traces back to points on the PCB

My unit has been repaired before but now having cleaned away all the extra solder/slag etc, I have discovered that the pads are missing for me to solder too.

I assume this board only has top and bottom layer - no traces within???

A schematic would be great

Any help would be appreciated

I am determined it will not get the better of me

cheers
O

SuperMod canderson will likely see your post when he logs in here (a few hours from now). So check back since he is an expert in this area, as you may have noticed.........

Bump - still playing about with this unit.
I have managed to remove all the green film to expose the tracks under the connector to determine likely contact points, but as the usb connector was damaged - I would appreciate a close up of this area if anyone can assist

cheers

Trouble is... won't any picture of a working device have the socket obscuring the view?

I have attached a pic - but this is best resolution I can get - note I have been able to clean away all the previous mess left by previous repair - so I am wanting to know the pad and traces - incase I have cut one

I have from left to right assumed

Pin 1 - V+
Pin 2 - D+
Pin 3 - D-
Pin 4 - Soldered but not sure if connected to pin 5
Pin 5 - Ground

Attachments

• Mini_USB_Pads.jpg
    Mini_USB_Pads.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
The "forth pin" is not used on a mini-USB connector (in fact the fifth pin is called "pin 4"!) See here for details.

So the fact it's not connected anywhere is OK.

More than that. I'm afraid I can't help.

The "forth pin" is not used on a mini-USB connector (in fact the fifth pin is called "pin 4"!) See here for details.

So the fact it's not connected anywhere is OK.

More than that. I'm afraid I can't help.

Andy, the 'here' link doesn't work for me ..............

Strange, it works for me. But its a "xxxxx.ru" URL, which is Russian I guess. That might be blocked for you for some reason?

Wikipaedia DOES number the pins 1-5, but the functions are listed similarly.

According to the Wikipaedia link I offered...

Permits distinction of host connection from slave connection
* host: connected to Signal ground
* slave: not connected

So as the computer is the host and the TomTom is the slave, it should be left unconnected.

But as there will be no wire to that pin in the cable it doesn't actually matter what you do with it!

Just soldered the socket

Not sure if anyone still looks at this thread. I had same problem, the mini usb socket completely came off. I just soldered it back to the board, paying attention to pins alignement. It works, so far so good:)

Ask a Question