US Map Subscription Now Available

So I tried installing Home & placing my order on a borrowed computer. No dice--I received the same error.:

The same discounted "Latest Map" for $23.90 & the Updater Service for $47.80 were both placed into my cart on that computer, but once again, Home threw a fit at the 3rd-party verification page, being unable to maintain its secure connection. :mad:

I had the same problem last night when I tried to sign up using a American Express card. It ended up being the credit card fraud/security being tripped because of the international billing (Netherlands I think). A few minutes ago I tried signing up with a Mastercard and it worked with no problems.

Well, I just went through the process of updating and subscribing......I set my location as US (instead of Canada) so that the prices would show as US dollars (instead of Euros). But, as I clicked the next screen, the price was still quoted as Euros and the screen itself was in Dutch.

I reselected Canada and the language as English before providing my credit card (Visa) info. The next screen flashed briefly a confirmation and went to a screen where I got an internal server error that others have reported.

However, the bottom line is: a confirmation invoice was sent to my email address and the map was made available for download (which I'm doing now)iusing my 'Update My Device' icon.

There is no question but the entire process can be confusing and sure is not seamless......

The problem of NA users still having to be confirmed by European servers for the purchases is apparent where some NA credit cards are not readily confirmed.

Is anyone else have the same problem I am? I bought the subscription as it seemed like a decent deal. And I had to update to the new map at the same time. And it worked, downloaded and installed fine. Got a receipt in via email...

gps3.jpg

However it keeps telling me my map is out of date. And I get this pop up. Notice above the pop up where it says "Newer Versions of your...etc etc..."

gps1.jpg

What is the deal with this? First off there are no newer versions of my map. And I already purchased the update service, why is it continually being pushed on me?

I went around and around with my One-Xl-S trying to figure out how to get the subsciption. I kept getting the purchase a map screen when I clicked on the "Learn more" in the banner. Finally called support and they told me I have to have the 825 map on my device before the subscription will be offered. So I bit the bullet and bought 825 for $79. Indeed the sub. was offered after loading up 825. There is no indication in Home that it's been purchased and will keep offering it to you if you click on the map share box. I logged into TomTom's website and verified my purchase was there. I don't think these people will ever do something right the first time, they cockup everything they try!!

Bill

This post shows why calling TomTom support more often than not proves to be a waste of time.

Both of my TomTom's have(had) the 815 maps that I purchased and installed in December. I am offered the subscription service for the 920 every time it is connected. I am not offered the subscription service when the XL-S is connected.

I received the 825 (NA)map for the 920 for $11.95 and the subscription service for $47.80. I did not have to purchase the 825 map for $79.00 before buying the subscription service. This seems to contradict what the support person told Bill, unless there is some difference between the subscription service available for different models.

If I get a chance, I may call support today to see what they say, or make up.

If you are looking for your changes to show up in Google Maps before you run out and buy a map upgrade (and I did have that mindset)....you might want to change your mind...An overwhelming majority of the MapShare changes I see in the 825.2210 maps do NOT display in Google Maps today
I totaly agree with you, the 8.25 map has more updated map info than the present Google Map verson !

Last edited:
Here is something interesting I have both ver of 8.25 maps (N/A & E/C EU ) on my 920 .
When I log on with NA map I am offered the SuB. for $11.95 US per quarter.
When I change maps and log on with E/C EU I am offered Sub. $13.95 per quarter.

Each map requires a separate subscription, which is why you are seeing essentially 2 different offers.

I just have the NA on my 720 and subscribed (going from 810 to 825 was necessary). While I need the map like a hole in the head, I figured what the heck.

Wish they offered it a year ago when the Canadian dollar was much stronger than now.

One thing I found interesting was that the custom ov2's I had on my 810 map were automatically put in the the 825 map by the installation process. Used to have to always copy them over myself.

Oh well, new map is now backed up (yeah, I do [sometimes] practise what I preach) and Susie still works.

Is anyone else have the same problem I am?

I'm experiencing the same thing. Not only that, but I haven't even received a receipt via email. I was able to download the map (v825), but TT Home keeps pushing me to buy a subscription (which I already did!). I'm currently struggling with TT suport via email (I'd like to leave a written trace in their system, before calling them on Monday) to have the issue sorted out.

I bought the upgrade+subscription last Wednesday.

This might be an explanation for my $79 price to get the 825 map. In December I purchased the USA 8.15 map. Now the 8.25 map doesn't come as just USA but you have to get Canada also. So maybe that's why it cost me so much. TT told me that this was a reduced price from a normal purchase. Prior to calling support I had tried using the TT website to purchase the subscription and that failed with a message that my version of Home didn't allow this, I am using the latest version. Another screwup!! All I wanted to do is give them some money but they can't figure out home to accept it.

Bill

Has anyone figured out what happens when a new map is actually released? With Home constantly telling us that there is a new map available when will we know when there is really one available. The poster looking for his email reciept reminded me to look in an email account I don't use much, just one of the many email accounts we need to do business with TomTom, and my receipt was there.

Bill

Has anyone figured out what happens when a new map is actually released? With Home constantly telling us that there is a new map available when will we know when there is really one available.
My guess is it would appear along QuickFix and MapShare updates. I just sent a email to TT support about this very issue; I'll let you know what their answer has been.

Is anyone else have the same problem I am? I bought the subscription as it seemed like a decent deal. And I had to update to the new map at the same time. And it worked, downloaded and installed fine. Got a receipt in via email...

gps3.jpg

However it keeps telling me my map is out of date. And I get this pop up. Notice above the pop up where it says "Newer Versions of your...etc etc..."

gps1.jpg

What is the deal with this? First off there are no newer versions of my map. And I already purchased the update service, why is it continually being pushed on me?

I have exactly the same problem. I called tech support this morning. The tech assured me that the latest map and the subscription service is on my account. They will update Home soon so it will recognized this. I hope it is before the next map comes out!

I have exactly the same problem. I called tech support this morning. The tech assured me that the latest map and the subscription service is on my account. They will update Home soon so it will recognized this. I hope it is before the next map comes out!
Ditto.

They're reportedly "still getting some of the bugs out of this New service" and this particular issue has been logged with their internal software developers.

They told me that the next map should be "out within the next three months" --which is kind of a generic (ie. cop-out) answer, since the service is Quarterly! ;)

I figured it was just a little bug. You'd think they would update the software BEFORE offering things like that to prevent overwhelming amounts of customers calling....

For those having credit card problems - just call your credit card company prior to making the purchase.

If you tell them you'll be making purchase off a website based in the Netherlands they can whitelist the country in their fraud systems for a couple of days.

I do this prior to every time I travel out of the country, and have no problems.

calling support?

You know why we don't just call support? Because tomtom's support sucks. I have tried to contact them on several occassions and have NEVER been satisfied. My next GPS will definitely be a NUVI.

To be fair, while some CS agents leave something to be desired, others give excellent support. Just like any call support centre. Don't tar everybody with the same brush.

I have to agree with dhn. My experience has been top notch. My son tells me the same. And to be honest, I'm fairly critical of customer service, and especially the lack of same.

Well, I saw the same thing yesterday when I subscribed.....

You can (temporarily) see the price in US dollars if you use Home to change your location to USA from Canada. When I did that, I did see an invoice of sorts in US dollars.

But.......

As you traverse through the maze of screens to make your purchase, (at least for me), the actual screen where you have to show method of payment and details appears in Dutch (!!) and shows Euros, again.

You can (or I could) get the language into English but the price quoted stayed in Euros.

At yesterday's exchange rate, the cost in Euros exceeded the cost in USD by about 3 Canadian dollars for the upgrade from 810 to 825 and then the yearly subscription.

However, who knows how much will be added by your Canadian bank as it deals with foreign currency transactions. You can be sure a few $$$ more will be added.

Too bad this offer wasn't made a year ago when the Canadian dollar hadn't tanked, eh?

-------------------------------------

I see the poster to whom I was replying deleted his post asking why the price was showing in Euros, not US dollars for Canadian users. I 'll keep my reply (to a non-question, now :) ) in case other Canucks are wondering the same thing.

Last edited:
Funny - I had no problem with the subscription and updated map download. TomTom aved all my share of problems for my bluetooth data connection I guess.

Ask a Question