US Map Subscription Now Available

Not seeing notification in top right corner of screen when you log into Home?? (does it show the unit connected in the bottom right side of screen)

Any idea why I am not seeing this option?

I have maps v8.15 and the latest version of Home. I want to sign up for this since I just purchased 8.15 3 months ago and want as much of a discount as possible on 8.25 and to get started on quarterly updates.

TIA

I noticed in a prior post that you installed navcore 8.320 which is unsupported by tomtom on a 720.

Maybe you may have to downgrade to 8.302 to permit home to give you the subscription.

I am actually on 8.302 now... installed that version when it was released...

It shows my device connected... I see the Banner Ad at the bottom that talks about the quarterly updates... but when I click on that it just takes me to the map purchase screen in Home.

The upper right just says "Your map is up to date 1582 Map Share map corrections in use"

I was on the beta version of Home... then downgraded to the most recent non-beta version and still getting nothing.

Hrmm... I have to buy TWO Maps.
Apparently, my current map is "two quarters out of date."
Code:
[B]Upgrade to the Latest Map (original map discounted by 75%) [/B]    US$ 23.90
The TomTom Map Update Service requires you to start with the
latest map on your device.

[B]TomTom Map Update Service - 1 Year - North America[/B]             US$ 47.80
The TomTom Map Update Service provides every single release
of your map over a fixed period, ...

[B]Total US$ 71.70[/B]
Still, it's cheaper than a single quarterly map!

GRRR. Can't get past the "Verified by Visa" page.
Error when contacting the server: The payment connection you are using is not secure so unfortunately we cannot process your payment. Please try again later.
I called TomTom Tech Support, who first had me disable my firewall, then announced it must be due to "heavy traffic during peak hours" since they'd just released this service, and recommended that I try it again later. :mad:

So far, I've re-tried sending the payment half a dozen times, but none of them have gone through. Their website's NO help--ordering the updater service through it costs $89.90 just for the old map upgrade!

Update: After a round of phone calls to my financial institution & to Visa, this appears to be a TomTom Home security issue.

Anybody else encounter this ..or have a solution for it? :confused:

Last edited:
Hrmm... I have to buy TWO Maps.
Apparently, my current map is "two quarters out of date."
Code:
[B]Upgrade to the Latest Map (original map discounted by 75%) [/B]    US$ 23.90
The TomTom Map Update Service requires you to start with the
latest map on your device.

[B]TomTom Map Update Service - 1 Year - North America[/B]             US$ 47.80
The TomTom Map Update Service provides every single release
of your map over a fixed period, ...

[B]Total US$ 71.70[/B]
Still, it's cheaper than a single quarterly map!

No... you are just upgrading to the newest map version... then paying the 11.95/mo for the quarterly updates... so for the map itself you are only paying 23.90

My upgrade price was $8.95 -- I used my LMG in late January and got 815.2022. I first saw the teaser for the offer in the spot where I would expect to see my MapShare correction count yesterday, and today the banner across the bottom says "subscription from $9.95/quarter" -- so I figured I'd better lock in that $8.95 price while I still can! Plus, I've whined long and hard about not having a subscription service in the US, so it's time to put my money were my mouth is.

My two biggest complaints:

* The message about the offer is still showing up. That wouldn't be so bad, but now I can't see my MapShare count. Hey, I'm a mapgeek, I think that's good information to know!

* I lost my Favorites again. I'll have to poke around the forums and find the restore procedure (I did an Explorer Backup before installing the new map, of course). But do they think they're giving people warm fuzzies about TomTom by wiping out their customers' Favorites every time the customer plunks down the better part of a hundred bucks for a new map? Seems pretty dumb.

No... you are just upgrading to the newest map version... then paying the 11.95/mo for the quarterly updates... so for the map itself you are only paying 23.90

You are correct. I was two map versions out of date (810), so they bump the price for each number of versions you are behind. You cannot only buy the new map or the service - you have to do both

Now i am have similar problem as RobertB. it kees on showing the message and actually wants to sell me the subscription again -even after I log into my account that I used to purchase both.

At the same time, it also does not show map corrections and I cannot tell if is applying any of the old downloaded ones or if it is running strictly off the new map without corrections.

If that is the case, will it eventually start to download corrections, or do I need to delete the file with the old map corrections before it will do so ?

Has anyone been able to sign up for the update service for a ONE XL-S?

When I connect my 920, I got the message about the update service, signed up, downloaded and installed 825.

When I connect the Wife's XL-S, no message in the mapshare box. I clicked on the banner add at the bottom of Home and it just brings me to the screen where I can purchase the 825 map for $79.95. I can't figure out how to get to the subscription service sign up for the XL-S.

What gives?

I think you people should be calling support at 866-486-6866 rather than trying to struggle with the convoluted software by yourself.

At the same time, it also does not show map corrections and I cannot tell if is applying any of the old downloaded ones or if it is running strictly off the new map without corrections.

I went into MapShare Preferences, and saw that there were already a few corrections being used. "Strict" was something like 0.4MB, while "Gossipy" was only like 1.0MB. My unit was showing the smaller number even though my slider is set to "National Enquirer" -- a recurring bug -- so I fixed it by sliding it left and then right again.

So I know I've got MapShares in effect... I just don't know how many.

And yeah, I could call TT... but 1) I don't have time and 2) it's more fun to complain about it here. :)

I got it to work finally... now... how do I know that the system actually gave me the "Subscription" since Home looks identical to what it did before I signed up and got the latest 825 maps.

Still telling me I can upgrade to the subscription for 11.95/qtr

I think you people should be calling support at 866-486-6866 rather than trying to struggle with the convoluted software by yourself.
I did call tech support--twice! The second time, they suggested that I try installing Home on a different computer to place the order, which means waiting until Monday to try from work.

This looks more & more like a TomTom Home issue. The little security padlock is present in the lower-right corner of Home, all throughout the purchasing process. That is, until the "Verified by Visa" graphic appears, then Home throws up the error box I mentioned, above.

I'd place this order thru TomTom's website, but that interface wants to charge me $90 for the baseline map upgrade, then another $48 for the Updater Service. No Thanks!

I went around and around with my One-Xl-S trying to figure out how to get the subsciption. I kept getting the purchase a map screen when I clicked on the "Learn more" in the banner. Finally called support and they told me I have to have the 825 map on my device before the subscription will be offered. So I bit the bullet and bought 825 for $79. Indeed the sub. was offered after loading up 825. There is no indication in Home that it's been purchased and will keep offering it to you if you click on the map share box. I logged into TomTom's website and verified my purchase was there. I don't think these people will ever do something right the first time, they cockup everything they try!!

Bill

Hmm... I had 815, and after the upgrade I went up to 825.

I think TT is trying to maximize the customer experience by making a system that is tailored to each individual's situation. Customer X just upgraded so they get a lower price, customer Y upgraded several months ago so they get a higher price. It's probably designed to be "fair" -- and to maximize revenue -- but that's not something that works when your customers can all get together and swap notes. Instead, it looks like they don't know what they're doing -- and even though that may not be accurate, it's perception that counts.

As much as I wanted a subscription system, I think TT would have been better served by waiting for another few months and rolling it out *after* the bugs were ironed out. But they probably couldn't -- not with a multi-billion dollar/euro loss, and the MS lawsuit.

I wonder if the US version of the program got rushed a bit to boost cash flow? That might explain why they required paying all 4 quarters up front. I was hoping to pay one quarter at a time. I almost turned it down because of the $50 up-front price tag.

I've seen that happen before, on software upgrades I've been part of. Pushing the product out the door, ready or not... the results were disastrous. This might not be a good time to add more TomTom stock to your portfolio.

I did call tech support--twice! The second time, they suggested that I try installing Home on a different computer to place the order, which means waiting until Monday to try from work.!
So I tried installing Home & placing my order on a borrowed computer. No dice--I received the same error.:

The same discounted "Latest Map" for $23.90 & the Updater Service for $47.80 were both placed into my cart on that computer, but once again, Home threw a fit at the 3rd-party verification page, being unable to maintain its secure connection. :mad:

I have a One XL S which had no problems updating my map and adding the subscription service. I bought the unit in Dec 2007...shortly after MapShare service was started. I have been running map 710.1575 since that timeframe. It cost me $39.80 to upgrade to the new map and an add'l $39.80 for 12 months of subscription service.

While I had not updated my map in a long time, I have submitted MANY MapShare updates. Of course, my biggest question was how many of these actually made it into the new maps I just bought. I was very pleased at how many MapShare updates made it into the release. As a guess, I would say maybe 40 to 50% of the MapShare updates I submitted during the first few months I used Mapshare (starting 12/2007) are in the base map...including street name changes, additions, deletions, POI moves, POI adds and deletes....even a change or two that I could say with 100% conviction that I know nobody else could have possibly submitted. A handful of more recent MapShare updates I submitted are in the release, but they could have been triggered by other people's updates.

If you are looking for your changes to show up in Google Maps before you run out and buy a map upgrade (and I did have that mindset)....you might want to change your mind...An overwhelming majority of the MapShare changes I see in the 825.2210 maps do NOT display in Google Maps today.

Last edited:
What you observed (last paragraph) is interesting, Tim, and seems contradictory to what I understood about the relationship between google maps and TT maps. I understood that the current goole map was AHEAD of the current TT map. So, it seems strange you are seeing changes in 825 that google isn't showing.

I'll see if I can find out anything more ..........

What you observed (last paragraph) is interesting, Tim, and seems contradictory to what I understood about the relationship between google maps and TT maps. I understood that the current goole map was AHEAD of the current TT map. So, it seems strange you are seeing changes in 825 that google isn't showing.

I'll see if I can find out anything more ..........

I thought the same thing. Here is one example (of many):

Google Maps location shows a section of Algonkian Pkwy incorrectly listed as Holly Knoll Dr.

I submitted this as a MapShare update on my old 710 map. It shows correctly on my new 825 map...but still not in Google Maps.

Last edited:
I've seen instances in previous releases where a cooection that makes it to one map is removed in the next. But I'm aware of at least three so far that look to have regressed from the October build that 8.25 is based on, to the Feb build that Google is/was showing. Does the Google map still display 2009.2? I'm at a disadvantage today with only a BB for web access

Ask a Question