US Map Subscription Now Available

Well, I saw the same thing yesterday when I subscribed.....

You can (temporarily) see the price in US dollars if you use Home to change your location to USA from Canada. When I did that, I did see an invoice of sorts in US dollars.

But.......

As you traverse through the maze of screens to make your purchase, (at least for me), the actual screen where you have to show method of payment and details appears in Dutch (!!) and shows Euros, again.

You can (or I could) get the language into English but the price quoted stayed in Euros.

Curioser and curioser: I was expecting to see this kind of behaviour, but once I created another profile, with a US address, I only saw US dollars (I, too, had to switch to English, after seeing the infamous screen in Dutch). I didn't get an invoice, though. All in all, somehow better than last year, when I saw the price in Euros and VAT was added to my order (although my old profile clearly defined me as a Canadian resident).

I totaly agree with you, the 8.25 map has more updated map info than the present Google Map verson !
How does it compare with the TomTom online Route Planer?

If you find a good example of where one is more updated please provide coordinates or an address.
A Screenshot would also be nice but not necessary

Speaking of Tele Atlas Maps don't they ever verify anything?

Here is an example
Denver St, Brighton CO, USA @39.99409?N, 104.81947?W
It shows a US 85 to the left and a Main St US 85 to the right
How can US 85 be two streets if the one on the left is a divided highway?
I could see maybe if they were both one ways but they are not.

Another example in the same area
US 85/CO HWY 27, Fort Lupton CO @40.00076?N, 104.81686?W

The street is CR-27 as Navteq maps show
CO HWY 27 and CR-27 to me are not very similar

In Colorado I have been actually find other occurrences of missing roads
Colorado Springs CO @38.96920?N, 104.74887?W
Is missing Memorial Hospital North a new roundabout etc., but on Navteq Maps

E Colfax Ave, Denver CO @39.74037?N, 104.83121?W
missing Children's Hospital

Right now I see no need for me to subscribe to the new map updates as what I have v8.15 does have roads I have been using but is missing some that are also missing on Google and the online route planner.
Until I see improvements I think my next purchase may be a Garmin with Navteq Maps instead of any TomTom maps.

I have now learned with a TomTom I need to also use Yahoo or Live Maps as they use Navteq and can get a street near where I need to go or find out the area and the correct street.

I am also sure the same could be said for a Garmin needing to use Google maps.

Map Subscription

The deal hooked me. For the price that I paid for my last map, now I'll get the next four. Not bad, I guess.

I'm buying it as well. Even upgrading from 7.15 it's a bargain. They want $47.80 to upgrade me to the latest map (8.25) then $47.80 for the subscription. Still less than $100.00. Boy, am I glad I didn't go ahead and upgrade as soon as 8.25 came out! :)

This might be an explanation for my $79 price to get the 825 map. In December I purchased the USA 8.15 map. Now the 8.25 map doesn't come as just USA but you have to get Canada also. So maybe that's why it cost me so much. TT told me that this was a reduced price from a normal purchase. Prior to calling support I had tried using the TT website to purchase the subscription and that failed with a message that my version of Home didn't allow this, I am using the latest version. Another screwup!! All I wanted to do is give them some money but they can't figure out home to accept it.

Bill

According to TTHOME, I've got "USA - Detailed map seamlessly covering the US. Also covers Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico" -- and it's version 825.2159. I wasn't required to buy Canada to get the subscription. Curiouser and curiouser. I wonder if you could have gotten a better upgrade deal by calling TT support (where I've only had positive experiences, myself) to report the discrepancy?

According to TTHOME, I've got "USA - Detailed map seamlessly covering the US. Also covers Hawaii, Alaska and Puerto Rico" -- and it's version 825.2159. I wasn't required to buy Canada to get the subscription. Curiouser and curiouser. I wonder if you could have gotten a better upgrade deal by calling TT support (where I've only had positive experiences, myself) to report the discrepancy?

My "Maps" had no listing for the USA only map only the USA/Canada one. When I purchased the 8.15 map both where listed. Typical TomTom FUBAR!!!

Bill

Last edited:
Okay people, you have me thoughly confused. I have a TT 730 and had version 8.15 so I took advantage of the deal and upgraded. Now my TT shows version 8.302 but the web site and all ya'll are saying that 8.25 is the latest. What in the devil do I have and do I need to call and get something else? Honest, I'm not stupid, I just don't know what's going on. :confused:

Rainmaker

8.302 is the Navcore version of your 730
This is not the Map version

Look again and I am sure you will notice the mistake ;)

$%%%$##@!!!_)(*^&% technology!!!! Touching the bottom right of the screen brings up another screen which says version 8.302. I didn't know that I needed a shovel to dig deeper to find the real version. :mad:

Thanks,

Rainmaker

The first screen provides the firmware version installed. Touch the version number and the next screen shows the map version (and build) installed.

Two different values................

What version map do you have to have? I log in to TT home and try to do it and it says to upgrade TT home to the newest version. When I try to do that it says that I already have the latest version of TT home. Need some advice please.

The latest Home version is 2.6(something).

The latest map version (which user is required to be at for the subscription) is 8.25.

Home 2.6 is the unreleased "Beta." It is only available if you check the Beta box in Home's preferences. Otherwise, it won't be offered to you.

Home 2.5 is the version downloadable from TomTom's website. This is the one their Tech Support will insist you re-install, if you're having problems.

As of right now you have three(3) version numbers that are relevant (yeah, I know there are tons more, but).

TT Home version. 2.5 official (2.6 beta for us gluttons of punishment)

Firmware version. 8.302

Maps version. 8.25

So when people are throwing around version numbers you have to know which they're talking about. The numbers themselves kinda tell you which it is but if they update the maps before they update the firmware you could have maps 8.3? and firmware 8.3??.

As of right now you have three(3) version numbers that are relevant (yeah, I know there are tons more, but).

TT Home version. 2.5 official (2.6 beta for us gluttons of punishment)

Firmware version. 8.302

Maps version. 8.25

So when people are throwing around version numbers you have to know which they're talking about. The numbers themselves kinda tell you which it is but if they update the maps before they update the firmware you could have maps 8.3? and firmware 8.3??.

My One-XLS has firmware version 8.01. Home never offers to upgrade it. Anyone with the same device have newer firmware?

Bill

My One-XLS has firmware version 8.01. Home never offers to upgrade it. Anyone with the same device have newer firmware?

Bill

Same device, Same firmware, Same no offer to upgrade. Still don't receive any offer for the subscription service.

My 920, on the other hand, is working great!!!!

8.010 is the latest version offered by home for a tomtom one or xl.

8.014 is preinstalled on some units to support a traffic receiver, but not offered by home, particularly since 8.014 breaks the Operate my ONE functionality.

Maps 825 works on 8.010 on the ONE models. You get a different map 825 than you would on the GO models (without IQroutes data), which is why 825 remains compatible.

On the GO models you need application 8.300 or later to read map 815 or later.

Anyone notice this?

I updated and signed up for the new map subscription, and I still see the message with the red dot on the main home screen that says I need a new map. Did anyone else notice this also?

Ask a Question