Map subscription (just thought I would share my experience)

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
I signed up for the map subscription about a year ago, paid the price to get the latest map, which had been released prior to my signing up. I think I signed up at the beginning of that campaign, but I may be mistaken.

Fast forward one year (to last week), and I received an e-mail asking/soliciting me to renew. Looked thru my explorer back-ups and realized I had only received two new maps plus the one I got once I signed up a year ago.

Called TT support, and asked whether I had missed one, as it is advertised that they come out (roughly) quarterly.

They said no, there had only been two since I signed up. They, without me asking, offered me a 4 month extension which would surly include one more map, and politely informed me that if I wanted to extend in 4 months to please let them know.

I, for one, was very impressed and pleased. I know TT support gets its share of bumps and bruises on this forum, as I too have had a few "eight balls" in the past when I called.

But, this last call, it seems things have improved, or I got extremely lucky.

I say, "thumbs up". I am a happy customer.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

Called TT support, and asked whether I had missed one, as it is advertised that they come out (roughly) quarterly.

That sounds like a case of poor training of Tomtom phone reps.

Maps have come out every 3 months for almost 2 years now, with the exception that the May 2010 map was delayed until June in NA and July in Europe.

Something must be wrong with your subscription or device setup.

Are you on map 850 now? If so, at least you have the latest one.

Matters are a bit weird at TomTom, at least in Canada.

After two years of having the Canadian map store closed, they opened it early December and offered maps for 2/3 of the previous EUR price through the Netherlands although the maps were sold through a company in Belgium.
I bought one, 840, as mine was an 805.

I ignored the 845 offer but was sent a subscription offer on June 14. I believe that was after the 850 came out.
The one year subscription, including update was offered for EUR 49.70 (CAD 65.69) including the update to current version although I suspect that the 850 will be considered the first installment of the subscription.
That amount included the 19 % VAT from the Netherlands.

Today I received an eMail
TomTom News Exclusive: Save $20 on Original Map Updates in the
Canadian Map Shop
TomTom, Inc. Online Store - Original Map Update
which brings the discounted one map only price to CAD 69.95.

As I have not bothered to try the check-out I don't know if Canadian/Ontario tax of 13 % are added to that.

Needless to say that I am pretty please with my previous buy.

That sounds like a case of poor training of Tomtom phone reps.

Maps have come out every 3 months for almost 2 years now, with the exception that the May 2010 map was delayed until June in NA and July in Europe.

Something must be wrong with your subscription or device setup.

Are you on map 850 now? If so, at least you have the latest one.

yeah, I do have 850. I just updated my SIG..... my bad....;)

Ask a Question