Error 104 when attempting map subscription

Thread moved from here. -mvl

I bought my wife a Go 700 years ago brand new, and it stopped working all together about a year ago (won't boot up). So I've vowed to get it working again to use for myself.

It doesn't boot up. It's stuck at a screen with a flashing red circle wtih a white X in it.

I downloaded HOME v2.7 from the tomtom site. it can't connect to the device. It recognizes it's a 700 but doesn't link it to my account or allow me to get an update. All kinds of error messages.

I've scoured the internet to the very end and can't find ANY support that helps me, including the tomtom site. I'm very frustrated, ready to drive over this thing.

When I view the files on the Tomtom itself, I don't see a map file. I see:

itn (folder)
autorun.inf (1k)
connect2internet.db (101k)
connect2internet.so (256k)
CurrentMap.dat (1k)
data.chk (1090k)
tthome.bif (shows up sometimes but deletes itself when it can't copy from computer?)

HELP!

---------

On my TomTom GO 720, I had to bypass the internal memory altogether because of the same issue. I inserted a 2GB SD, had TT (after about 5 phone calls later), send me the Library files in which I placed on the SD. Once I had them installed, my TT allowed Home to recognize it and the map update began.

I am working on my second TT device now that I purchased for a Christmas gift. One thing I can say it their Tech Support is almost NON-EXISTENT. I am very good with computers, so I diagnose everything before calling them. They're not much help at all. TT's are decent devices, but the Tech Support really needs an UPGRADE.

Hope the SD option helps.

NOW, my question, I have a new ONE device in which I cannot subscribe to the quarterly map update subscription. I get the Error 104, etc.. I have contacted TT oooh let's see 3 x's now, with no help on the horizon. It's a brand new device. I guess they are hoping that my map goes out-of-date and I will not be able to subscribe to the service without purchasing a new map first and THEN I'll be back in the same boat. Sounds pretty negative, I'm not...just have no faith with their support. In fact, when I rec'd my GO720, it was purchased in the summer for a Christmas gift for me. Well, TT allows within 30 days a free update. Well, that was not possible seeing that I rec'd it in December! Well, after a few dozen emails with no benefit, I suggested that they offer a monthly or quarterly service that we can pay for to get updates at a more reasonable rate. I find the irony here...they took my suggestion...and now it's giving me a hard time with my newer device!! Murphy's Law...gotta luv it!

Fedbred

---

Last edited by a moderator:
Error 104 is a network connectivity problem.

What stage in the process do you see the message? Can you post the whole message?

UPDATE RE: Error 104

Well, I finally spoke to a Supervisor with TT. Apparently, the newer devices have not made it into TT's system yet. So, yes...Error 104 is a network connectivity issue with TT. The Supervisor notated my account on my new unit for a free map update (prob in January/February 2010) if TT is still not recognizing the newer units.

Bottom line, either keep checking one or twice a week by adding the service to your card and select purchase. If you continue to receive the error...your unit is still not in the TT system. BUT, I strongly encourage you to spend some time on hold with TT and speak to someone that will do the same for you (i.e., place a note in your acct for an updated map). Reason for that is, if you want to purchase the quarterly update service, you MUST have the most current map for your unit.

Happy New Year!

Well, I finally spoke to a Supervisor with TT. Apparently, the newer devices have not made it into TT's system yet. So, yes...Error 104 is a network connectivity issue with TT. The Supervisor notated my account on my new unit for a free map update (prob in January/February 2010) if TT is still not recognizing the newer units.

Bottom line, either keep checking one or twice a week by adding the service to your card and select purchase. If you continue to receive the error...your unit is still not in the TT system. BUT, I strongly encourage you to spend some time on hold with TT and speak to someone that will do the same for you (i.e., place a note in your acct for an updated map). Reason for that is, if you want to purchase the quarterly update service, you MUST have the most current map for your unit.

Happy New Year!

What model Tomtom one are you trying to update? This is the first report of a Tomtom one having subscription issues.

Ask a Question