Update to HOME 2.4 (again)

It's the file downloaded to your unit to make it easier for the unit to acquire the satellite signals. Ususally available every da, it gives the satellite positions for the next 5 (or is it 7) days.

It's listed when you Update My Unit is clicked.

Some never bother dl the file and say they have no problem acquiring the signal; in truth, your unit CAN get the signal without the updated file, it just may be slower to do so.

I would describe it as letting the unit know the position of the satellite.
i.e.
A GPS receiver's job is to locate four or more of these satellites, figure out the distance to each, and use this information to deduce its own location. This operation is based on a simple mathematical principle called trilateration. http://www.howstuffworks.com/gps.htm
If you don't update the ephemeris data and the Sat has wandered on in its orbit and relative to the other Sats referenced then the resulting map position will be off by the difference in where the Sat actually is and where the old ephemeris data is saying it is.

I just got my ONE XL and no MapShare info either. I previously had the 130S (which is nice but limited in what it can do) and I had noticed no updates as far two weeks ago.

It just seems ridiculous that a company like TomTom can't solve a server issue.

Have the same issue here in Australia. I got my tomtom go 720 about a month ago. I did the TomTom home update to 2.4 last weekend all appeared fine. Since then though I have received no map share updates and TT Home has gone from showing 11,000+ updates to 0. I have been getting the quick GPS fixes still though.

The other issue I have noticed is that my use latest map guarantee says it has expired. Since I only got the unit a month ago I find this really strange.

I also can't find where I correct this. Is this at all tied to the map share updates?

The latest map guarantee is 30 days. Are you still within that window? If so, call -- don't email -- support in Australia to get the latest map. Expect to have to send a scan, fax or photo of your receipt. If you are beyond 30 days, well......:(

The mapshare servers have been down for a week and will be down at least till the 10th. The two issues are not related.

Just got 'map share' updates today for my TT-3rd edition with 'USA - Canada Map v710.1575'. This is the first 'Map Share' updates I've gotten in over three weeks... maybe four.

AND... I'm still running HOME ver. 2.1.2.121. So support saying a user needs to update to the latest Home to get 'map share' updates, is incorrect.

Just got 'map share' updates today for my TT-3rd edition with 'USA - Canada Map v710.1575'. This is the first 'Map Share' updates I've gotten in over three weeks... maybe four.

AND... I'm still running HOME ver. 2.1.2.121. So support saying a user needs to update to the latest Home to get 'map share' updates, is incorrect.

When I first read of MapShare running again, I reconnected with Home v2.3 and it did not offer MS updates with my SDHC card connected with the card reader. I tried again just to make sure and nothing. I upgraded Home to 2.4.0.104, reconnected and MS updates were available...

Ask a Question