Do LIVE services no longer update through HOME?

I have a GO 740 Live - haven't update in a couple of months and when I did so this AM it prompted me to update HOME software.

Did that but now it doesn't seem to recognize/offer to update LIVE elements (ie fuel prices). Running the unit recognizes my subscription and gives me data - but have no idea how old the data is (although appears current).

Does it now pull LIVE data fully from cell towers? Just wondering if I missed the memo on how it gets data...

Thanks!

Last fuel update I received was 24 February, but I have an issue with my unit at the moment, so can't say for certain if this mirrors your problem. I *am* still getting the safety camera updates, so the mechanism to move the files is still intact here. I may need to call TT to get my SIM card re-registered since I don't have any Live at all for the last week or so.

Yep, I still see safety cameras as well but nothing else.

It did prompt me to re-enter my password on the unit itself, so maybe registration is confused.

At any rate I'm going to try rebooting my desktop to see if that helps anything...

There is an outage right now, HOME2 is not delivering fuel nor speedcams for LIVE devices. Tomtom is aware of the issue but no word on how long it will take to fix. You can always update them realtime on the device.

Well, it would update over the air ... but as you know, I'm also a bit shy of a full Live connection right now! Bit of a Catch22. That's why I had also just happened to check to see when the outage began. Waiting for them to open up support tomorrow a.m. so I can get this SIM thing straightened out.

Where did you hear that the server was 'offline' for fuel updates? When did this begin?

I pulled my hair out for 3 days with this issue and dealing with TT tech support. Home upgrade was forced and from that point, my current maps subscription was killed; wanted me to buy an updated map. After they resolved that, and I d/loaded the new map (900.4613), I noticed fuel prices weren't coming thru; telling me I need to join the service. Don't know if it failed before the new map.

There response was the basic flowchart methods (soft reset, hard reset, some other meaningless things) none of which changed anything. I was also unable to reinstall the fuel prices file from the computer.

My final was to reinstall a "copy/paste" backup from 02182013 (with map 900.4602) and to ignore the "Buy a new map" flag in home. What I have now that works is my old versions of:
Fuel Prices version is 1335844800
TT App version is 9.465
Map version is 900.4602

After 3 or 4 emails with TT tech support thru the week, this was the last one from them on Friday (03-08):

I checked with my supervisor regarding this issue and came to know that there is a known issue going on wherein customers are unable to access fuel prices through LIVE services. We are currently working on getting that fixed. As soon as we have the proper resolution, we will definitely email it to you.

I should add that I'm not a daily user of my GPS. I do plug it in every month or so if I'm not road tripping just to keep it up-to-date. I did this update on the 4th when the problem began.

After what I consider a reasonable time frame, on Monday I asked TT if any progress was being made on the Fuel issue. Their reply:

This is Sofia from TomTom customer support and I am writing in regards to the escalation that was submitted on your account. I have received further correspondence from my supervisor.

This issue is currently being investigated. As soon as we have the proper resolution, we will definitely email it to you. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

No difference from two weeks ago.

Today, I received this:

Thank you for waiting.

I am glad to inform you that the issue wherein you were unable to access fuel prices through LIVE services is fixed today

Did a soft reset, went to fuel prices and it immediately connected with their server and d/loaded what appears to be current fuel prices! A quick connect to TT Home shows Fuel Prices ready to be d/loaded as well. Finally!

I'll try updating everything else later after a full backup and see if everything else still works/updates. I had to revert to an older map and stale, outdated fuel price version, etc.

I just ran the update and sure enough everything is back in order, including the fuel price update!

Thanks Cienega32 for letting us know it's back online.

Ditto. Got both fuel and cams and all the rest today as well, so whatever they broke, they've fixed.

I just purchased the Fuel Prices USA app for a trip and I'm not sure how it will work with my TT and smart phone via Bluetooth. Can someone please explain the ends and outs of it and how to set it up? Thanks.

If you're using the 335 or 340S model, Fuel Prices won't update over your phone. The "Plus" services once worked with some earlier models like the 720 and 730, but haven't been in use for some time. If your device supports Bluetooth, it will be for audio only. You'll need to plug in now and again using Home to get fresh fuel prices for your unit. Of the older units, only those like the GO 740 Live get over-the-air prices, and they have their own built-in cellular connection.

Thanks

If you're using the 335 or 340S model, Fuel Prices won't update over your phone. The "Plus" services once worked with some earlier models like the 720 and 730, but haven't been in use for some time. If your device supports Bluetooth, it will be for audio only. You'll need to plug in now and again using Home to get fresh fuel prices for your unit. Of the older units, only those like the GO 740 Live get over-the-air prices, and they have their own built-in cellular connection.

Thanks for your response. Will the Fuel Prices Live app work on my android phone. If so, do I have to have the app on my phone? Thank you.

The platform doesn't matter. The numbers are what they are either way.
There's not a whole lot of point in worrying over gas prices in Toronto anyway, is there Arno? Two cents tops?

Down here, we have a LOT of variation, and as a result, a lot of participation in the update process. That keeps things much more current.

So as I've been led to believe, you've got a massive price fixing situation going on up there, and neither TomTom's service nor Gas Buddy will do you any good.

My response was primarily directed at Arno's comment that "you get exactly what you pay for." In Canada, it doesn't much matter what you pay since the variations are so slim that the data is pretty irrelevant.

OTOH, have a look at the differences here, and you quickly see why we care about this stuff! http://www.denvergasprices.com/
Scroll on down and compare our VASTLY different pricing vs. yours.

Ask a Question