TT1 V3 Navigation Problems

I have one of those USB GPS antennas that attach to my laptop and uses Microsoft Map program. it works flawlessly, maps are perfect so far and takesme on good routes. My tomtom on the other hand has me going 1-2 extra miles then turning instead of just taking a left turn at the light I went past a miles ago, the tomtom has roads that are showing as not there, and quite a few other things are wrong with it. The only thing I really like about it is that its small compared to a laptop in my car.

This is true, but I think many of us are new to a GPS unit and are using it to test 'known' trips first just to know what to expect of our new unit when we actually need it. At least that's why I'm using it for the first couple of weeks. :cool:

I am sorry, but this is simply ridiculous logic. The number one feature you want in a GPS unit is to get you from point A to B efficiently. If a GPS unit cannot accomplish that, it is not a very good unit. How does one determine if a unit navigates efficiently? One tests it on routes they know, so that when they need to use it in areas they do not know, they will have confidence in its abilities. Unfortunately, as I really wanted to like the TT1, this unit failed the test.

Ron

Interesting point. Just got TT1 V3 for xmas and have been using it on known routes. I also found the routing was not quite what the preferences would lead you to believe. In the first instance the route preferred a 4 lane highway but the route would have taken me 20 to 30 miles out of the way and added 20 minutes to a 1 hour drive. In the second instance I didn't know where I was going however at the end of the route it took me onto a side street for 6 blocks through 4 stop signs when staying on the main st with no stop signs and making one right turn would have gotten me there. Seems like the issue might be with how they have secondary roads modeled, there is a big difference between 25/35 mph roads and 45 mph roads through the country with no stop signs but the routing seemed to treat them all the same in calculating the route.

Since the forum is to help users get the most out of their devices, discussions on how the devices are working will help others understand the units better. Bottom line is on my unit I take preferences with a grain of salt and if my preference is the fastest route I won't count on it being the fastest route.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt my TT1 V3 will get me where I want to go. And for the price I'm satisfied. Hope other find the info useful in selecting the device that's right for them

OK, I understand what you guys are saying, but like I said, if you don't know where you are, or where you're going, you're not really going to know any better. What I mean is, you're not going to know if there is a route that more efficient than where your Tom Tom is leading you. When you're in an unfamiliar area, you want to get somewhere without getting lost. There is no substitute for the human brain, of course, and there probably never will be.(Unless SKYNET takes over!!! LOL)
Bottom line, your Tom Tom will not let you get lost!!! Even if you try! :)
That's what I like about it.

Problem using TOMTOM on NJ Turnpike in truck lane

A major nagivation problem i keep expirencing is when i travel South bound on the NJ Turnpike from Newark Airport to a destination getting off at exit 9.
The Tomtom wants me to take the car lane which is fine but if the truck lane is moving faster and i take it, it will want me to get off at Exit 13, pay the toll, make a U-Turn, and get back on the NJ Turnpike south to continue my route using the Car lane. (I get on the turnpike at Exit 13A and get off at Exit 9).

It will also do the exact same thing at Exit 10 when traveling North bound in the truck lane. (Here i get on the turnpike at Exit 9 and get off at Exit 13A). Why does the TomTom think the NJ Turnpike Truck lane is not the same as the car lane??

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited:

Ask a Question