unable to plan route with TT1/3rd Ed UNLESS connected to computer!

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One/3rd edition
Apologies in advance for a long first posting to these forums, but this problem's been ticking me off for the past several days.

Basically, my TT 1/3rd Ed. reboots when I try to plan a trip UNLESS I'm connected to the computer and plan a trip using TT Home.

Here is the scenario (with TT 1 NOT connected to computer):

1) Tap Navigate to
2) Tap Favorite or HOME
2a) Tap ANY Favorite
3) TT 1 goes to map screen, pauses for about 30 seconds (with no movement WHATSOEVER on yellow progress bar at bottom of screen)
4) TT 1 reboots at that point.

The same thing happens when I try to Plan a Route...it doesn't matter if I'm leaving from Home or from 1 favorite and heading to another or ANYTHING, the damn thing reboots when it gets to the planning stage BUT ONLY WHEN IT'S OPERATING ON ITS OWN, not when using TomTom Home via USB cable to plan the trip!

This only happens when my TT1 is NOT connected to the computer; when my TT 1 is connected to the computer AND I access the TT1 using TT Home/Operate my ONE, I have NO problems planning a trip.

I've tried the TT Clear Flash tool several times, and my TT is up to date, as reported to me by TT Home.

As an aside (might be a related problem/symptom?) I get "Unable to store map settings: file access error" red splash message at upper right corner of screen when I try to change preferences sometimes, but only when my TT 1 is, again, NOT connected to the computer.

I've also tried several "Soft" Resets by holding the reset button on bottom of TT1 for 15 seconds.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

System Information

Profile folder = C:\Documents and Settings\jp\Application Data\TomTom\HOME\Profiles\s35c6ice.default
Installation folder = C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2
Plugins folder = C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul\plugins
Data folder = C:\Documents and Settings\jp\My Documents\TomTom\HOME
Version = 2.7.6.2056
Language = en-US
User name = PRIVATE
Login status = User is logged in
Server = https://home.tomtom.com/redir/

Connection settings = Direct connection to the Internet (default)
Installed add-ons = Map status indicator 1.7, TomTom HOME default theme 1.0.2, Emulator 8.010.9369.1, Emulator 7.903.9183.1
Name = TomTom ONE 3RD EDITION
Device Code = AKXSQBSPTA
Serial number = NONEYODAMNBIDNESS
Capabilities = ArrivalSounds CarSymbol Caymann Documents Durham HDTraffic HomeBackup InternalFlash MapOverlays Newyork Newyork1Dot6 NotAutomotiveEmbedded PlusBuddies PlusDownloadDynamic PlusDownloadGeneral PlusDownloadMap PlusDownloadPOI PlusDownloadRingTone PlusDownloadScheme PlusDownloadUpgrade PlusDownloadVoice PlusEphemeris PlusFixedSafetyCameras PlusFuelPrices PlusMessageNotification PlusMobileSafetyCameras PlusOnlineCamera PlusPushChannel PlusRoadConditions PlusTraffic PlusTripReporting PlusWeather Prague RDSTMC SDSlot StartupImage SuspendImage Traffic WarningSounds screensize=320x240
Storage devices = Memory Card (G:) - Active
Installed Items = program/Navigator 8.010, phonedb/connect2internet 15, startupscreen/splash 1, suspendscreen/antitheft 1, voice/English(US) - Lori 4, voice/English(US) - Bonnie 4, voice/English(US) - Richard 4, voice/English(US) - Mandy 4, voice/Darth_Vader_2 1, ephemeris/Ephemeris 1285381146, carsymbol/FamilyCar2 1, carsymbol/SportsCar1 1, carsymbol/SportsCar3 1, carsymbol/TourMotor2 1, carsymbol/-default 1, partialupdate/TMCConfig 2, map/USA_and_Canada 710.1575, poi/Fire_stations 0, poi/Playing field 9, poi/School 9
Error incident IDs = 27528220
* Computer info:

Operating system: Windows XP (build 2600, Service Pack 3)
Free memory: 478863360 bytes
User home directory: "C:\Documents and Settings\jp\My Documents\"
Home volume space: 35358 / 78709 MB
Temporary directory: "C:\DOCUME~1\jp\LOCALS~1\Temp\"
Temp volume space: 35358 / 78709 MB
Install directory: "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xulrunner\"
Install volume space: 35358 / 78709 MB
External volume devices: G: [INTERNAL] 80 / 978 MB
OS login name: "USER ID"
Host name: PRIVATE
Date and time: 2010-09-20 12:28:18

* HOME info:

DLL Version: 2.7.6.2056
MapShare DLL Version: 2.7.6.2056
Language: en-US

* Connected device: "TomTom ONE"

ID: "AKXSQ BSPTA"
Type: "casablanca1024_ss"
Serial: "Y15457B02639"

MapShare information:
Patch format version: 2.4
Map patch downloads: true
POI patch downloads: false
Feedback email address:
Patches to upload: 0
POI Subscriptions:

ttgo.bif file contents:
[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom ONE
DeviceVersionHW=ONE (v7)
DeviceSerialNumber=Y15457B02639
DeviceUniqueID=AKXSQ BSPTA
RamDiskVersion=20080529
BootLoaderVersion=55001
LinuxVersion=190943
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8010
ApplicationVersion=9369
UserLanguage=English US
UserName=PRIVATE
LastConnectionTime=Never
GPSFirmwareVersion= GSW3.2.4TT_3.1.00.12-C35B1.02
BuiltInColorScheme0=Belgica
BuiltInColorScheme1=Brittanica
BuiltInColorScheme2=America
BuiltInColorScheme3=Germanica
BuiltInColorScheme4=Australia
BuiltInColorScheme5=Deuteranopia
BuiltInColorScheme6=Greys
BuiltInColorScheme7=Antarctica
BuiltInColorScheme8=Africa
BuiltInColorScheme9=Astra
CurrentColorSchemeBuiltIn=0
CurrentVoiceInfo=Special 16
CurrentMap=
CurrentMapVersion=0.0
Traffic=N
CurrentFuelpricesType=
CurrentFuelpricesTypeString=
CurrentFuelpricesLastFullUpdate=
ValueRatio=CDuvBAq7qizQ+YEuXg==
Features=PlusDownloadDynamic,PlusDownloadGeneral,PlusDownloadMap,PlusDownloadPOI,PlusDownloadScheme,PlusDownloadUpgrade,PlusDownloadVoice,PlusDownloadRingTone,PlusMessageNotification,PlusPushChannel,PlusTraffic,PlusWeather,PlusEphemeris,PlusBuddies,PlusMobileSafetyCameras,PlusRoadConditions,PlusFixedSafetyCameras,PlusFuelPrices,HDTraffic,PlusOnlineCamera,PlusTripReporting,HomeBackup,Newyork,Newyork1Dot6,Caymann,Durham,CarSymbol,RDSTMC,Prague,SDSlot,InternalFlash
SupportedPatchTypes=1F
NrSupportedErrorTypes=132
UserPatchDatVersion=102
CompressedPatchVersion=150
MapServerPatchDatVersion=104
DeletedPoiDatVersion=200
ServerLineIndexDatVersion=102
ServerNameIndexDatVersion=102
MapShareSupportedProviders=203
CharacterSet=Latin-1

tthome.bif file contents:
[TomTomHOME]
UserName=PRIVATE
IL #1: 'Memory Card' 80 free/978 total MB Block Size 4096 Media Name 'InternalMemory' serial $7cc0e362, Writable

[---001:006241:06639---]

dhn,

Thanks for the suggestion, I tried that but it didn't work, same problem as before.

I even tried reverting back to 7.166, ran the Clear Flash Tool 3 times again and still no joy.

Since 7.166 didn't do anything for me I figured there was no point in NOT having 8.010 installed, so that's where I'm at now...ver 8.010 installed, Clear Flash Tool ran 3x AGAIN and still unable to plan trip unless doing so through TomTom Home.

dhn,

Yes, my map is an official TT map, the only map I've had in the TT, 'USA and Canada', currently at v710.1575, which is the latest version. I don't trust any maps other than the one that came with it.

Just a quick note, the TT was working fine just as recently as Labor Day weekend, when we did a small road trip to St. Louis, MO.

This all started just the other day when my wife needed it for a trip to KC, MO. I connected the TT to our laptop to charge it and input new favorites/destinations in it for her trip, and all went well UNTIL we disconnected it from the laptop and tried to use it by itself, ever since then no luck.

I believe TT Home had an update for my ONE that I installed as I have so many times in the past...could there have been a corrupted download?

That map is 3 years old. (current is 855) If you updated to a relatively new appplication, there may be an issue with the newer app not playing nicely with an old map.

While I'm at it:

Device AKXSQ BSPTA

App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943

32 MB RAM (free: 1.9 MB)

GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5001

Map: 'USA and Canada' v710.1575

Language: English US

That map is 3 years old. (current is 855) If you updated to a relatively new appplication, there may be an issue with the newer app not playing nicely with an old map.

Not doubting the possibility, but by that logic, shouldn't my TT have worked when I retrograded the App to 7.166?

When was 8.010 released?

I've had no problem using the older map...is corporate TomTom trying to force users to purchase newer maps?

Now I'm wondering if this is a GPS program 'module' problem, just sitting here watching my TT (not connected to the computer), the map is centered at home with the default vehicle icon in the center of the display, and the map is just randomly spinning around the vehicle icon...it pauses and settles down occasionally, then the map starts rotating again.

Could the GPS program not establish a lock or determine which heading TT is facing, causing TT to reboot when it tries to draw a route...???

GRRRR!

RAM (free: 1.9 MB)

See if you can free up some space on the unit by deleting some of the un used voice files in the voices folder, right clcik the .vif file and select Open With/ Notepad, with this file open you will see the langauge and name of the voice, if you don't need it delete the .vif AND associated . chk file.

1,9MB is a bit tight so the device might be running out of memory if you are planning a long trip or using the "Shortest Route" option - Mike

@ mikealder

I deleted all but two of the voices on my TT.

Per TT Home, my ONE's device memory is a total of 978.1 MB, of which 89.9 MB is free space...the 32 MB RAM/1.9MB RAM free came from the touchscreen where the status display is...tap there, then tap where it says '8.010' and it brought up:

Device AKXSQ BSPTA

App 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943

32 MB RAM (free: 1.9 MB)

GPS v1.21, Boot 5.5001

Map: 'USA and Canada' v710.1575

Language: English US

After deleting most of the the voices and some other stuff (POI, etc...) the free RAM is now up to 3.0 MB...but it still reboots when trying to plan a route.

@ dhn

I'm able to 'see' anywhere between 3 and 8 satellites when looking at 'GPS status', if that's what you mean...

Got it working (for now?)!:D

I did a chkdsk on my TT and now I see 4.5 MB of the 32 MB RAM free, it can now plan trips using Favorites or Home without being connected to TT Home!!

Thanks for all the inputs, advice and everything!

Ask a Question