TT1 2nd edition keeps rebooting after new SD card

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
If this is in the wrong spot, please move.

TomTom One 2nd (or new) edition
Version: 7.903 (9183/081205) OS:2344 29mb RAM (free: 5.9mb)
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.0500
Map version: USA_and_Canada' v845.2666
Language: English US

My computer: MacBook Pro v10.5.8
TomTom Home v2.7.3.754

Now for the story. This morning, I grabbed a spare 2gb SD card I had (Activa from Office Depot I believe). It was my old backup SD card for my TomTom and had an ancient version on it. I placed the card in my SD reader attached to my computer and used Disk Utility to erase it. This seemed to work with no issues. I removed the card and disconnected the reader normally. SD disk format is MS FAT16.

I connected the TomTom and quit TTH. This still leaves the device mounted so that Finder can see the disk as an external drive. I created a folder on my desktop called TTBackup Old and selected all files/folders from the SD card and copied to the new folder. There were 43 files/folders and just under 900mb. This took about 30 minutes and appeared to be normal. I ejected the device normally.

I reconnected the card reader and put in the newly formatted SD card which was recognized by my Mac. I then copied the backup from the TTBackup Old folder onto the SD card. This worked correctly. I ejected normally.

I then placed the new card into the TT and booted. The card was recognized and the device appeared to function. I connected to the computer and TTH came up and recognized the device. Again, no issues. I downloaded the new map (as noted above) and successfully updated.

Now when I turn the device off, it turns right back on again. I can't get it to stop. It has recycled about 10 times currently. The only way I can stop it is to remove the card (the new one) as soon as the screen goes blank before it reboots itself again.

I still have my prior SD card that has the older map (and no space left on the card). It works correctly (does not keep rebooting. Card is a SanDisk Ultra II 2gb.)

What is going on and how do I fix it? I'm heading out on a trip next week and was depending on the TT to get me there and back.

Thanks for the help.

Connect your unit to the computer. Don't start Home. Now use Finder to copy the mapsettings.cfg file from the baclked up map to the map folder on the computer.

Now, start Home. Run the emulator (Operate my Unit). Manage Favourites and make a change to one of them by adding one, editing one, deleting one, it doen't matter.

Disconnect from Home properly using the Device Disconnect icon.

Restart your unit. Does that help?

Unfortunately that did not work. Since I'm running the Mac version of the software, I cannot use "Operate my unit" so that is a no go for me.

I tried reinstalling TTHome on the device and it got worse - wouldn't even operate at all until figured out that I needed to force it to update. Finally got that done but it still is rebooting when I turn it off.

I decided to be daring and just try updating my prior card - the one that was still working but had the old maps on it. That appears to have worked.

I can only assume at this point that there is something corrupted in the backup that I made of the original card that then transferred to the new card. I may make another pass at it now that I have the "good" card working again. As long as I keep that card functional, I should be OK for another year or 2. By then maybe I can get a new device.

I do have a netbook that has Windows 7 starter on it. Is it possible to download TTHome for Windows and have the device work from there? I'm guessing I could transfer my purchased items to the netbook from the device so that everything would be there. Maybe this would have worked better on a Win7 platform.

Thank you for your help.

There are some who have no problems running Home on W7, others do.

I think it is worth a shot to install Home on W7 and see if the emulator works on it.

Another option is to use Finder to delete mapsettings.cfg in the map folder of the new map. The TomTom will create that file when it starts.

But I'd try for the installation on W7 first.

TomTom Home and Mac problems

Hi, I am glad I am not the only one with a problem with TTH and Mac's

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...roblems-tomtom-home-mac-osx-snow-leopard.html.

I have just bought a new Go 550 Live as the 720T I had was trashed by TTH see my post above.

I have had it confirmed that there is a know problem with Mac's and TTH but alas no fix yet.

TT Help desk did admit there is a problem with TTH and Mac OS x Snow Leopard. See snippet from Help desk.

Dear X,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care
The reference number for your query is 091029-011377.

Following investigation by our 2nd line technical department, there is currently an issue with MAC and the the latest version of the operating system (10.6 Snow Leopard) + HOME 2.7 + a TomTom device with both internal and SD memory. This has been reported to the software developers team.

Please can you remove the SD card and try to update the device, does this make any difference? Should you wish to download updates and want to have some of the updates on the SD card then it is possible to copy them manually to the SD card - to do this please make sure there is enough space on the internal memory , otherwise you will get a message that you have to use an additional card.

I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

With Kind Regards

Sophia

The TomTom Customer Care Team

Should you wish to reply to this email, please log in to your TomTom account via TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems.
Click on ?My TomTom? in the top right -> ?My Questions History', click on 091029-011377 then scroll down to the bottom and click on 'Update Question'.
You can also attach documents that you wish to send to us by clicking on 'Browse'. You can then find the document you wish to attach and click on 'Add Attachment'.

Alternatively, you can call us on one of the numbers below:
United Kingdom 08451610009 Mon - Fri: 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. GMT
Republic of Ireland 1890812008 Mon - Fri: 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. GMT
South Africa 800980670 Mon - Fri: 9:00 to 19:30 CET
Our contact details are on TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

Response (Sophia D. (UK))

I think it is time TomTom fixed this issue.

For the moment, if you can free up enough internal memory to keep your map there and update it, you could subsequently move it back over to the SD card.

Ask a Question