Trouble with 325 SE XL

I just got a new 325SE XL unit yesterday. It was working great out of the box, but then I downloaded Tomtom Home and did the updates. Here's what happens....I'm running Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium if that matters. I can connect to my computer just fine and operate the GPS through the Home software. Everything appears great and I'm ready to be done--and I press the disconnect button. It tells me that it's OK to disconnect my GPS, then the GPS reboots and freezes on the splash screen.

So I go through the reset sequence of holding in the power button for 15 seconds, get connected through my computer again, operate the device through Home, everything looks good....disconnect, and it freezes on the splash screen again while rebooting.

I've done this at least a half dozen times now and it keeps freezing although everything appears fine while operating through Home. Does it take an insanely long time for it to reload after an update, or what gives?

I didn't make any profound changes to my GPS through Home--I think I added another voice and added a new car icon, but that was about it.

It seems that it does just take a very long time for it to reload after updating? I left it plugged in to keep charging and checked it about 45 minutes later--still nothing. Went to the gym and then suddenly it had reloaded OK.

OK.....still having some trouble here. I powered off my GPS after my last trip (would rather not do that, but it doesn't appear to be able to power off automatically when power is removed like my old one did). At 6:15pm I left on a trip and turned the power back on. It loaded with the progress bar and then showed the splash screen where it shows a dasboard of a car (the default one). I've left it on since then and it's now 7:30 so 75 minutes later and still not loaded. Last time it was about 2 hours before I saw that it was on.

Is there some setting to show the splash screen forever that I accidentally changed perhaps? I can't believe it would actually take this long normally. It is completely unresponsive to anything right now. Will definitely be returning this to the store if this continues, no point in having a GPS that I can't use during the length of 99.9% of my drives. I've otherwise been very happy with it though until this.

Thank you for your help. I followed that link and went ahead and did everything it said.....renamed the folder to DowloadOLD and removed the application from the device through TomTomHome. I tried to update my device but it didn't seem to add/reinstall the application and Home didn't suggest that it needed to be updated.

So then I went ahead and went to the "Items on my Computer" tab and removed the application from my computer, hoping that Home would then notice that my application was missing and download/install it. That didn't work.

Then I reinstalled Home to see if that would make a difference, but I still can't seem to get my application back.....it's not on my computer or the device anymore and have reinstalled Home.

Typically if the Tomtom is stuck on the startup screen, but works in HOME, this fix will solve the problem.

Let us know if it does or doesn't help.

I can't do into the "operate my XL" right now because the application is no longer on my computer or my device. Do you know how I can get the application back?

Do you still have the downloadold folder?

W/out going into Home, open My Computer (if you have a pc), Double click the drive letter assigned to the TomTom. I usually open a second My Computer window. Copy (not Cut) contents of downloadold folder to the TomTom drive.

That should hopefully at least restore everything to the point where you updated everything everything and get the freezing screen again.

Sounds like when we 1st get it, make a copy of the drive (not using home).

Let us know by copy/pasting the contents of downloadold folder onto the tomtom drive if it gets you back to square 1.

I can't do into the "operate my XL" right now because the application is no longer on my computer or my device. Do you know how I can get the application back?

Try unplugging the Tomtom, turning it off and on a few times (until it gives a red X error on the screen). Then what happens when you try to do "Update my XL" in Tomtom HOME?

If it gives an error, what are the first 2 letters of the serial number on the bottom of the Tomtom? This will help in getting an application for you.

Still no go on this......do you know the name of the file by chance? just want to see if it's there or not, but either way I'm still in the same boat. I wonder if there's a place I can download it? You'd think that the Home application would realize that I'm missing the app.....

I've rebooted it a few times and keep getting the red X, yes. The first 2 letters of my serial # are RQ.

Last edited:
It's hard to find the right file because it's such a new model and we don't know much about it yet.

Open up the drive with explorer, and there should be a file name ttgo.bif on it.

What does that file say after the line "bootloaderversion" and what does it say after the line "applicationversionnumber"?

I looked in all the folders and didn't find a file with a *.bif extension and used the Explorer search for it not only just in the TomTom folders, but searched my whole hard drive just to be sure. I suppose that's because I removed it from my computer? I suppose I shouldn't have done that, but I was expecting that Home would notice that it wasn't there and let me download it....oops!

OK, one other way to get the needed ID.

With the Tomtom on, hold down the power button forever. It will eventually turn off, then on (keep holding the button), then it will show diagnostic numbers on the screen.

Post what it shows to the right of "bootloader version" on the diagnostic screen.

let MVL help, but could the files still be in the recycle bin? Unless you empty it, the files could still be in there. I don't thing the search function will show you what is in there???

Does anyone else have a XL 325-SE and have the application and/or boot number? If HOME isn't providing brian2mn with the proper application (sometimes that happens with brand new releases), we can provide it manually. But I don't know what "proper" is yet.

The app # will look something like 8.123, the boot number should look something like 5.123

Device ID RQ5369B02785
Bootloader version S5.5128 clist#300688 RVCT

You know, one thing that I noticed on this diagnostic screen too after reading all the entries.....it says:

Startup mode: sleep

Could that have been the original problem? Please keep in mind that my original issue was that it worked great out of the box, then after updating through Home.....it would sit on the splash screen for hours and do nothing. Once the app loaded up after a couple of hours, another time it opened up overnight (but more than after a few hours).

Thanks for the version number. Try this:

Backup the device per this link. Then format the drive with quickformat disabled. If the format takes more than 30-60 minutes then you should warranty exchange it since the memory is probably going bad.

After the format, use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto the Tomtom. Then attempt to start it up.

If it starts up (should say "no maps found") that is good. Then connect to the computer, copy your "USA" folder from your backup above back to the Tomtom, then do this.

Something isn't going right here.....it doesn't help that I'm new to Windows 7 probably. That said though, I'm trying to copy the contents of my TomTom to a newly created folder on my external drive. I know how to do the copy and paste so that's no problem, but it keeps looking for a second like it's going to work and then all of a sudden is done and nothing is there.

I know I can write to the folder on my external drive OK, because I was able to copy other folders to it with no problem.

Ask a Question