Traffic

What makes the unit recognize the traffic accidents or delays? Does this have to be called in to somewhere and input into a computer system or how does that work?
Traffic in the US is downloaded via your cellphone and then transferred to the TT via bluetooth.

but what lets the bluetooth know, is there a computer system that the traffic information gets loaded into?

but what lets the bluetooth know, is there a computer system that the traffic information gets loaded into?

I believe you need to update the traffic info through the TT. I think it's through Traffic>Update traffic IIRC. That will trigger the BT connection to download the latest traffic info available.

You might want to carefully re-read what I said.

I'll clarify. Your phone uses your GPRS data system to download the information from TT's server. Then, it sends that traffic information via bluetooth to your TT's bluetooth receiver. TT's receiver then sends that information to a decoder and "unpacks" the data and displays it on the screen.

I believe the traffic is supplied to TT by Clear Channel Communicaiton; check out this link for more info on the source of traffic.

Essentially a cell phone acts as a wireless modem that connects to your TT via Bluetooth to download data from TTs traffic servers on the internet to your TT device.

Plans are in the works to implement an FM antenna that could plug into your TT to receive this traffic data directly from TMC...but don't hold your breadth.

For the Traffic to work you need to have a bluetooth phone so it can connect for a signal or the traffic adapter you must purchase is this correct?

That is correct. But the ONE doesn't have a traffic connector, so that's not an option for that model anyway. You'll need a bluetooth phone to get traffic info on a ONE.

Thanx , I have the Go 510 but no Bluetooth phone as of yet and I know that adapter is a pretty penny.

Your phone will not only require bluetooth, but will also need to have internet access, and support "wireless data". Some cell companies charge for both. Example, I have Verizon wireless, who charges $49.95 for unlimited internet access, and $15 for wireless data support. Internet access allows you to access the internet ONLY on your phone. But in order to use your phone as a medium for another device to access the internet, you also need the wireless data service. This is what allows the internet information to be transferred from your phone (wirelessly via bluetooth) to your TT. You can also use your phone as a modem for your laptop/notebook with "wireless data" service. It's also called DUN (dial-up-networking), or tethering.

If you have Verizon, I would recommend the Motorola Q (also available on Sprint), as it is now only $59 with a rebate.

Great news. I wonder if upgrading to TT HOME 1.5 is also down right now? Lots of people having problems. But back to traffic, if I go to tomtom.com and log in to my PLUS services, it now shows I have a one year subscription to traffic. When I click on that to get details, it says it expires March 31, 2007. Makes you wonder if they are about to sell yearly subscriptions here in the US.

I am a new user and I am trying to figure out HOW to join the Plus Services. For the life of me, I can't figure it out. :/ Do you have to call TomTom to join this?

no you dont you have to setup plus account at tomtom.com plus service and then log in thrue tomtom under tomtomplus icon

Ask a Question