Traffic

Ahhh ok thats where the accident was in Buffalo wasnt gonna drive down there to see it though lol maybe next time i visit my parents in fort erie i will see
I did notice triangles on the canadain roads wasnt sure what they where but now i geuss they mean slippy or snow covered is this right?

Thx for the info:eek:

depends what's in the triangle lol

So far, I've only seen the snow icon.. obviously in Whistler haha. there's apparently also a rain, fog and other icons. It's listed in the old owner's manual but not in the new. How odd.

Here's a few icons that may be helpful, sorry they're so small.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 320
Rob, Im glad to hear your account is up and running. I believe if you browse the map, you can click on the icon and details will show up. This is similar when browsing a map and click on the POI icon on the map and showing you the it's info.

Man, the Traffic for Dallas is CRAP!

Lets see:

Icey Roads...check.
TomTom see...nothing

Wrecks along route...check (4 of them)
TomTom see...nothing

Traffic speed about 5 MPH...check
TomTOm see...30-40MPH conditions.

Man I'm glad this service is free. :)

Later,
Aaron

Glad we get the opportunity to test it thoroughly before having to pay for it. At this point, I would choose NOT to pay for it until it gets much better. That being said, I do believe it WILL get much better. :)

Glad we get the opportunity to test it thoroughly before having to pay for it. At this point, I would choose NOT to pay for it until it gets much better. That being said, I do believe it WILL get much better. :)

It probably will get better but remember that TomTom isn't entirely to blame. The information source is all local. In my area, the primary source is WSDOT. And while cities like Seattle and Chicago have one of the oldest realtime integrated traffic reporting systems (since around 1994 and 1995 respectively), I believe Europe has enjoyed a more extensive and complete consumer-ready system for quite a number of years. I remember seeing them deployed more than a decade ago. I agree that things will get better.

The traffic service blows and I believe it is tomtom. I have XM and hear every incident on there, even average mph on a given highway stretch, and also info on my pda from yahoo, google, and other sources all show incidents, roadwork etc. while tomtom says nothing. This is one of main reasons I even got a gps was to avoid traffic on my commute, hopefully they get their "Ish" together.

Yeah, I agree. Don't buy the unit strictly based on its traffic feature, that's for sure. :)

But to be fair, Garmin isn't great either. When I used it with my (old) nuvi, it would tell me of a 7 minute delay on my route, and I zipped right through with no delays. Just old info, I'm sure.

The traffic feature in all GPS units can only get better, and I do believe it will. I'm looking forward to that day, and I hope TT is a leader of the pack!

Yeah, I agree. Don't buy the unit strictly based on its traffic feature, that's for sure. :)

But to be fair, Garmin isn't great either. When I used it with my (old) nuvi, it would tell me of a 7 minute delay on my route, and I zipped right through with no delays. Just old info, I'm sure.

The traffic feature in all GPS units can only get better, and I do believe it will. I'm looking forward to that day, and I hope TT is a leader of the pack!
me too.

They gave me hope a few days ago when they said my traffic subscription was reactivated. I tried and said it still gave the 2029 error code (the expired subscription error) and so they went back to the drawing board.

I hope so too...even if it doesn't, I'm a gadget nut so I'll enjoy it along with all the future tweaks that come out(calling all programmers!!)

So I called yesterday and much of the same that you guys said is confirmed. The "Official" Traffic launch has been pushed back to July, so if you are on a trial and it expires, simply call them and they will reset your trial. You can do this over & over until the Official launch. I explained to him that although I was getting traffic accident/congestion info online via my PDA, and on XM Radio, tom gave me no info. He asked me the standard scripted questions then placed me on hold. When he came back he said that it was because the "system" was still a work in progress and not yet working at full capacity, which is why the release was pushed back from March to July.

Oh yeah, he kept mentioning Clearchannel. So I guess they are getting their traffic info from Clearchannel and thats the "system" he was referring to.

Last edited:
I got this info: :D

Traffic is available in the United States as one of the Plus Services which can be activated directly from your TomTom unit. All you need is a valid email address. Use the same email address as on your MyTomTom account. To use Traffic, you need a wireless data connection (GPRS) via a mobile phone, offering unrestricted Internet access. Traffic is free until the end of June 2007. We do not know yet what it will cost beyond that time.

To subscribe to Traffic from the unit itself (not from our website), follow these steps:

-Touch on the Driving View Screen to get to the Main Menu
-Select "Change Preferences"
-From the "Preferences Menu" touch on Edit Plus Account
-Establish a wireless connection with your Bluetooth phone
-Enter the user name and password used for your MyTomTom account

These steps should allow you to choose to activate Traffic. If you are not asked about Traffic, then continue with the following steps:

-Touch on the Driving View Screen to get to the Main Menu
-Tap the "TomTom Traffic" icon
-Tap "Enable Traffic" and follow the prompts

If those steps didn't reset your unit, let us know and we'll be glad to set you up!

I'm glad they keep pushing back the free trial, because as of today anyway, I for one wouldn't pay for traffic. It's not that good. But it can only get better! Hopefully by June it'll be much better and worth paying for.

What I'm looking for is for it to be free (yeh, I know, kinda hard, but one can dream, lol). I bet they are trying to make it more attractive, and that's the reason why they are delaying the "official release". :p

Except that it's still not working for me. They still haven't resetted my account.

Edit: They've just resetted it. I updated and it showed traffic and weather conditions!

Weather for Canada since we don't get traffic but I can see traffic info on the other side of the border. Looks like lots of jams lol. The arrow.. I assume that red is worse than orange? lol. The icon legend said "Road Work or other incidents"

Last edited:
Nextourer - FINALLY! I'm glad it's working. Now if you want to drive on over and crash your car so we can test it..... :D

Ask a Question