Traffic

Traffic Update

It seems as though TT updated traffic today...

On my way home from work I78 (NJ) was backed up...so I enabled traffic on my trusty TT910 and got an update...not only did I get the location of the delay along with the icon on the map I also got the amount of dealy time (which was suprisingly accurate).

Additionally the map path changed colors indicating where delays were on the the map...and in what direction the delay was affecting traffic...

Very impressed!

It seems as though TT updated traffic today...

On my way home from work I78 (NJ) was backed up...so I enabled traffic on my trusty TT910 and got an update...not only did I get the location of the delay along with the icon on the map I also got the amount of dealy time (which was suprisingly accurate).

Additionally the map path changed colors indicating where delays were on the the map...and in what direction the delay was affecting traffic...

Very impressed!

Interesting. I haven't noticed any real improvement in the traffic service between in the Wash DC/Northern VA region, but I'll have to keep a closer eye on this.

I'm in Long Island this week, and on the drive over from JFK a couple of days ago, the traffic was actually quite good. Or maybe it's just that it's a given that there are always tons of delays? :D

Just bought a 910 and I was considering switching cell phone providers so I can get traffic. Is traffic info available for all areas or just large metropolitan cities? Does TomTom have a list of places where TomTom Traffic works?

It's not available in all areas, just metro areas. I'm not sure if there's a list. I can tell you that when I drive about an hour or so out of Dallas, I no longer get traffic data. Just a "cannot connect to TT server" error or such. But as soon as I get close enough again, it starts to work.

It's not available in all areas, just metro areas. I'm not sure if there's a list. I can tell you that when I drive about an hour or so out of Dallas, I no longer get traffic data. Just a "cannot connect to TT server" error or such. But as soon as I get close enough again, it starts to work.

It could be the T-Mobile service. If you do not a strong enough signal, their data service will not work (even though your voice service May). You should look to see if the GPRS indicator is showing when you in a rural area.

Hi all,

I understand that the free "trial" now runs thru the end of June...

For those whose trial period ran out (ie: the date on the website -- in your MyTomTom account), when you have reset your account (or had them reset it for you), did the expiration date update?

TIA

Yes, if it does expire, just have TomTom reset the account for you.
So far it's still Free. I assume it will be free past June. They've been pushing the date each time.

So reseting of the account only works when your traffic subscription ends, right? My trafffic expires on March 26 so I tried reseting it, and refreshed the page and its still March 26.

So reseting of the account only works when your traffic subscription ends, right? My trafffic expires on March 26 so I tried reseting it, and refreshed the page and its still March 26.

Well, I found out the "hard way" that when your exiration date comes, the traffic sub is removed entirely (no more reset button on the page, no way of reenabling on the device, etc). Drop them a support message, or call them a few days in advance. Phone support told me it would take 24-72 hours to reactivte it, so if you depend on the traffic, head off the problem. They'll update the expiration to 6/30/07...

Well, I found out the "hard way" that when your exiration date comes, the traffic sub is removed entirely (no more reset button on the page, no way of reenabling on the device, etc). Drop them a support message, or call them a few days in advance. Phone support told me it would take 24-72 hours to reactivte it, so if you depend on the traffic, head off the problem. They'll update the expiration to 6/30/07...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll drop them an email and see what happens.

Nice, they keep pushing the free trial back. It was end of Dec 06, then end of March 07, now this. SWEET! Maybe by the time the trial does expire, they'll have worked out most of the kinks and traffic will actually be WORTH paying for. Right now that's questionable, at best.

I have to say that Traffic in the Seattle area has improved greatly. I think maybe they're now receiving more sources or something. It has become much more useful in the last month or so. I'm getting better/fuller updates which leads to more intelligent (and timely) rerouting.

I agree, it's become much better in the Dallas area, too. And the other areas I've traveled to. I have high hopes for traffic.

I agree, it's become much better in the Dallas area, too. And the other areas I've traveled to. I have high hopes for traffic.

I definitely agree with this for the DC/NOVA/MD region. It's given me a few alt-routes after months of being completely useless. Definitely beginning to feel some hope for what had been a completely dud feature.

But just a note - I got this in the mail today. Basically, get a map upgrade ASAP if you need it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear TomTom Traffic user,

In order to ensure that you get the most accurate and complete information, we are optimizing our traffic services and will continue to provide incident data on our most current maps.

Starting Monday, April 16th, users of some older map versions will no longer be able to access our traffic service.

Map Versions that no longer support traffic after April 16th, 2007 range from 420.xxxx to 585.xxxx. Please refer to the first three digits of the seven digit map version number.
How do I find my map version number?

Map Versions that will continue to support traffic after April 16th, 2007 range from 585.xxxx and higher. Please refer to the first three digits of the seven digit map version number.
How do I find my map version number?

Our latest maps of the US and Canada are available on DVD as part of a special promotion at the discount price of $49.95. We encourage you to take advantage of this offer and update your maps. You will have access to more roads, POIs, business and personal addresses, and much more. The promotion ends April 16th, so hurry and order your DVD! After April 16th, you can purchase the map update as an accessory at full price.

Get New Maps Now

Please do not reply to this e-mail, it is being sent from an unmonitored mailbox and you will not receive a reply. If you have any questions, please contact customer support at 866-486-6866.

Sincerely,

TomTom Inc.

I received that same email. It's nice that this one is actually timely, unlike some other emails I've received from TT. :D

I definitely agree with this for the DC/NOVA/MD region. It's given me a few alt-routes after months of being completely useless. Definitely beginning to feel some hope for what had been a completely dud feature.

But just a note - I got this in the mail today. Basically, get a map upgrade ASAP if you need it.

Do you know if these new maps are the same ones as the free map upgrade? Or have they released some newer maps out just now?

What makes the unit recognize the traffic accidents or delays? Does this have to be called in to somewhere and input into a computer system or how does that work?

Ask a Question