TomTom XL IQ Routes SD expansion

Hi there,

Has any one tried or succeeded in adding a sd card to the xl iq routes edition board. I've seen the one v3 upgrade and the question about the 330S. The 330S board looks identical to to the xl iq routes edition, but I must assume that the internal flash chip located on the lower part of the backside of the board is different. On the front at the top the is a sticker covering some pads that look like they might be jtag or sd. Any help would be great or even educational.

It's a great little device but getting a bit small on the memory side with the new high detail maps coming online. Europe is now busted up in to zones (feels like the cold war is on again) that can be swapped from home if you can't fit the large map on you device. If TT would drop the schematic for this old board in the PD then I could try it. I'm not going to buy a new TT to fix their mistake especially when Garmin cover more countries post code systems.

After a bit of checking I have found that the internal flash chip is the Samsung KMAKG0000M-B998. It is the same as the Kindle 2. I have found an article on expanding the memory of the Kindle 2, it may work for the TT XL IQ. The replacement chip they recommend for the Kindle 2 is the KMCMG0000M-B998 an 8GB chip, there is a KMBLG0000M-B998 4GB chip available too. Does anybody, know if I format the internal flash can I restore my backup to it, I'm assuming that it would be similar to replacing the in a repair or upgrade.

Does anybody, know if I format the internal flash can I restore my backup to it, I'm assuming that it would be similar to replacing the in a repair or upgrade.
You can certainly do that as its one of the recommended ways to recover a units thats playing up, as for expanding the memory I doubt it will work. Once you go to 4GB and beyond the SD becomes SDHC and the firmware in the TomTom needs to be altered to support SDHC, I very much doubt the firmware will exist to do this, let alone the issue of swapping out a SMD memory chip - Mike

Ask a Question