tomtom turns on by itself?

Self Power On in Aircraft

My TT ONE often powers itself on. Unless I catch it, it completely drains the battery. I have it sitting on a bookshelf in my office with no connections and it often (weekly) self-powerrs ON.

All of a sudden, I hear... "Turn around when possible". Quite scary at times when I am working late.

Others have suggested it is a software problem. How so? if it is powered OFF, then it is not running any software. The power switch appears a one-shot toggle. press= off to On PressANDhold to turn off.

I frequently fly with the TT in my carry-on. I hope I do not get thrown off any flights because the TT turns itself on :( . I think this matter NEEDs addressing by TomTom.

OIL710

My TT ONE often powers itself on. Unless I catch it, it completely drains the battery. I have it sitting on a bookshelf in my office with no connections and it often (weekly) self-powerrs ON.

All of a sudden, I hear... "Turn around when possible". Quite scary at times when I am working late.

Others have suggested it is a software problem. How so? if it is powered OFF, then it is not running any software. The power switch appears a one-shot toggle. press= off to On PressANDhold to turn off.

I frequently fly with the TT in my carry-on. I hope I do not get thrown off any flights because the TT turns itself on :( . I think this matter NEEDs addressing by TomTom.

OIL710

I've followed this thread for over a year now. Yes, it is a software (or firmware) issue. Seems to have started with ver. 8.xx. I have a TT- 3rd edition but with ver 710 firmware still installed. If I upgrade... like TT Home is always telling me I need to do... I know I'll have this "auto-turn-on" problem every 6 or 7 days - AND lose itinerary function (with dual boot) that I've added. Of course without the newest ver. firmware I can't upgrade my map either. Catch 22 for many in this boat. So TT is losing money for not fixing this ongoing problem.

When you turn off your TT with the power switch, there's still some processing going on (and some battery drain). Some house keeping so the unit turns on more quickly and keeping the clock correct... and of course what ever is causing the 'auto-turn-on' thing too.

You didn't say which model TT you have, but if you have one with a recessed reset button, just press that with a paperclip when you're finished using it and you won't see the 'auto-turn-on' happen anymore. The reset doesn't erase anything, just powers the unit completely off. The newer models don't have the reset, as it's built into the power-on switch. If you have that model, there' no way to disable TT completely I'm afraid.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you turn it on, clear the route and then turn it off, does it stay off then?
Whether there is a route set or not, it will still turn on.

Personally, I like to leave a route set so that it doesn't silently drain the battery, and if I'm around when it turns on, I have a chance of hearing it and turning it off. If I turn it off before I get home, I get the "You have reached your destination" message a week later. I have had a case where I got that message (and thus it cleared the route), turned it off, and had it turn on a week later.

I've followed this thread for over a year now. Yes, it is a software (or firmware) issue. Seems to have started with ver. 8.xx. I have a TT- 3rd edition but with ver 710 firmware still installed. If I upgrade... like TT Home is always telling me I need to do... I know I'll have this "auto-turn-on" problem every 6 or 7 days - AND lose itinerary function (with dual boot) that I've added. Of course without the newest ver. firmware I can't upgrade my map either. Catch 22 for many in this boat. So TT is losing money for not fixing this ongoing problem.

When you turn off your TT with the power switch, there's still some processing going on (and some battery drain). Some house keeping so the unit turns on more quickly and keeping the clock correct... and of course what ever is causing the 'auto-turn-on' thing too.

You didn't say which model TT you have, but if you have one with a recessed reset button, just press that with a paperclip when you're finished using it and you won't see the 'auto-turn-on' happen anymore. The reset doesn't erase anything, just powers the unit completely off. The newer models don't have the reset, as it's built into the power-on switch. If you have that model, there' no way to disable TT completely I'm afraid.

Hope this helps.

Well, I'm not sure what my TT version is, but it is a tTomTom ONE and I cannot find a re-set switch anywhere.

I have cleared my route and have it sitting on my desk waiting for it to either re-boot or stay quiet.
I have recently used it in UK, USA, Australia and NewZealand and it has worked great. I bouth it from BestBuy last year in USA. It shows a serial no. and "Canada 310". But I have not been to Canada in 10 years!

Presently I am DownUnda but will be back in Tx in a few weeks. Maybe it will behave once there.

OIL710

turns itself on

re: Well, I'm not sure what my TT version is, but it is a tTomTom ONE and I cannot find a re-set switch anywhere.

Try holding down the on/off button longer than usual
just hold down the power button for about 15 seconds

I was over at the tomtom website and can find nothing about turns itself on with a search so I posted this to them:
My tomtom one 130s turns itself on after a week of being off.
I'm not the only one with this problem as there is a long thread on the subject turns itself on at the tomtom forums:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=120617

What is your response to this issue?
thanks,

Why don't some of you ask the question of tomtom directly like I did so we can get some action?
Here is the link:
Your Question has been Submitted)
Michelle Ress

I been keeping a close eye on my tomtom XL325 SE and mine is random as far as turning itself on goes so far.. 7,8 or 10 days after last use... I cleared my last rout after every use and rebooted the device many times..

let me ask this? Would it do any harm to leave it on charge with the in-house charger all the time it's not in use? Seems like its a controlled process to me... At least that way the battery won't be drained completely. My other unit a XL 340 S that was not used yet remains off with no issues.. I had it on for 30mins or so a few months ago while doing a Explore backup.. It didn't seem to lock on to a satellite because my house has a metal roof, hoping the map guaranty will still work when I decide to start using it.. .. Maybe that's why I don't have issues with it yet.. just throwing this out there.. I feel the more info we get together the better chance someone will find a fix.. George

turns itself on what tech support suggests

I wrote TomTom and this is what they said. If anyone has tried this can you post your results?
I haven't tried it yet, don't know if I will as I'm selling my unit and have switched to a Garmin Nuvi 350.
Here are the instructions:

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to contact TomTom Customer Support. My name is Nancy and we are always happy to help.

I understand that your TomTom device turns on by itself and stays on automatically. We understand the frustration such an issue might have caused.

Please rest assured that I will do my best to resolve the issue.

The issue you are facing may arise if the application installed on the device is corrupt or if there is an hardware issue. To eliminate this, we suggest that you update the application on the device.To assist you in doing so, we offer a link on our website which has been created to offer step by step instructions. To view this web page, please visit the link found below:

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

If no updates are offered, your device is already up to date. In this case, we ask that you remove and reinstall the program application. Instructions for this can be found on our website (under a link for another issue) at:

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

Once you open the webpage perform the steps listed under "Part 1" and "Part 2" in the same order.

We also ask that you take a few minutes to run our Clear Flash Utility. What it does is it sends a quick flash directly on the TomTom, and sometimes clears any glitches on the device. This utility will not affect the memory where your application and maps are installed. To ensure that all files are removed we ask that you run the Clear Flash Utility atleast 2- 3 times. Once the Clear Flash Utility has finished, the device should function as expected. To access this program, please click on the link below and follow the instructions provided to flash your device:

If the issue persists, you can try resetting the device to Factory settings. This reset will delete all user settings: Favorites, Recent destinations, etc. The following link will help with the steps on how to perform a Factory Reset (Hard Reset).

If the issue still persists, please provide us with the following details.

1) Since how long you are experiencing this issue?
2) Please provide us with the purchase date of your TomTom.
3) The application version of your TomTom, please go through the following link to find the application version of your TomTom: TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product

Michelle, the above steps will help you resolve the issue. Please reply and let us know the status of the issue. If you have any further queries or your issue persists, we will be more than happy to assist you further. We appreciate you using a TomTom device and want you to know that we value you as a customer.

To update your TomTom question (incident) or to reply to this email:
Please log in to your TomTom account using the following link:

TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Products

-Now Click on 'Support'
-Select 'My Questions History'
-Click on the title of your question then click on 'Update Question'

Note: If the incident is not updated within 72 hours, the incident will move to 'Solved' status to reflect that the provided resolution has been successful for you. The incident will automatically get closed.

Thank you for choosing TomTom for your navigation needs. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 7:00 AM until 11:00 PM EST or Saturday, 9:00 AM until 8:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom, we believe in showing you the way, the easy way.

With Best Regards,

Nancy

Hope that helps someone,

Michelle Ress

Michelle, all that little lot will do is waste between one and two hours of your time! - It won't fix the issue which is software/ firmware related - Mike

As Mike says, this appears to be a waste of time. Plus... if you don't follow those instructions exactly, you may really mess up your TT.

See page " 8 " of this thread and read "Chireru's" post where he tried this without it fixing the problem.

turns itself on

One has to wonder why TomTom doesn't have a person assigned to reading this forum. I sure would if
I were running that compnay.

Don't assume that they're not. We are aware of at least one confirmed TT employee who used to read this forum regularly.

Well, at least we are aware of someone who claimed to be, and a few weeks later claimed to have been a TomTom Support employee, before he dropped off the edge of the map.

Well, at least we are aware of someone who claimed to be...
A bit more than that, Arno. Remember, the moderators can track back IP addresses.:cool:

In fact there's been more than one TomTom employee who has graced our forums. What we don't know for certain is whether any of them were acting in an official capacity, or just making use of their free time.

In any case, TomTom employees do sometimes pass this way.:)

Unsolicited switch ons

Having had the switch on problem for the last 6 months at least, possibly even since new 12 months ago, I thought I would google for a solution when it happened just now (its sitting on a shelf so nothing external has caused it)
Found this forum, read the first 10 pages then thought time is passing I will go to the last page for a solution. No solution and this thread will be 2 years old in a few months. So TOMTOM arent interested. As my battery keeps being flattened by this and I am off on holidays shortly my ONE XL will be hitting the bin when I replace it with a Garmen next Tuesday.
Good luck to those that have the time to persist but if tomtom arent interested nor am I (other than I will use this excellent example of customer care (Not) in my next business seminar)

Welcome to the forum, as you have a One XL its got a hardware reset switch in the base, when you turn the device off give the reset switch a prod with a pin/ cocktail stck and it won't wake up until you press the on/ off button, you won't lose any settings or data by doing this - Mike

As my battery keeps being flattened by this and I am off on holidays shortly my ONE XL will be hitting the bin when I replace it with a Garmen next Tuesday.
Electricity rates are jumping up here but I wonder what is cheaper, leaving the TomTom plugged in or buying a Garmin.

Power on spooks

Well well, I am not crazy after all! For the last year of so I have been finding our One 3rd Editon power on hanging on the dash of our Buick Rainier or Dodge RAM. In both places it is connected to a power cord that is live all the time. I thought maybe the vehicles computers were creating an electrical noise that caused it to turn on. NOW I know it is just a TomTom spook hiding within the TomTom its self!!!!!!!

SNOKING

Phantom power switch

Hello all...
I have a 130s. When I first got my unit, I found the battery dead nearly all of the time. At first I was puzzled sine I didn't think that the battery could be that weak. I happened to place the 130s on a charger in my office and left it overnight. When I returned in the morning, it was turned on. I didn't think I had left it on, so I turned it off, unplugged it from the charger and let it sit on the table. Sure enough, later that day, it turned itself on. For about a week, I just kept on a table in my office. Every once in a while it would turn itself on - at least once per day. It didn't matter if it was connected to a charger or not.

I contacted TomTom support by email and got a run around. They responded with the ridiculous suggestion that the switch was sensitive. I seriously doubt the switch is so sensitive that air pressure in the room was activating it.

I have tried resetting the unit, updating the it to the latest software and erasing the last trip, but nothing solves the problem.

Since I don't use it every day, it sits in my office until I need it, Unless I store it on a charger, the battery is ALWAYS dead because it will turn itself on until the battery gives out.

This is not the only issue I've had with the unit. On a trip across Florida recently, the unit got lost. The map went to a straight line with no other markings and it couldn't seem to tell where it was. It showed very strong satellite signal using 9 satellites. I have traversed this highway many times with the TomTom and never had this issue before or since.

I cycled the power switch to no avail. I eventually had to completely reset the unit before it worked again.

I like this unit when it works, but this is ridiculous -- as is TomTom's apparent denial of the situation or lack of a solution. I am going to replace it with another brand.

Ask a Question