tomtom turns on by itself?

Twice now my tomtom has mysteriously turned on by itself. It first happened last week. I just happen to look over where my tomtom was sitting on my counter and it was on. Now, just a couple minutes ago, it happened to be sitting on the table next to me and I saw it turn on out of the corner of my eye.
What is going on? Is my tomtom possessed or has anyone else had this problem? :confused:

This does occasionally happen. I have both a 920 and a 930. I've seen it happen with the 920 once or twice, but the 930 does it every day and has been a major problem when I've left it in the car and come back to find the device dead from a depleted battery. I'm going to see if I can get the 930 replaced.
John

Spooky TomTom

Hi, I'm really glad I found this forum. I have a TomTom GO520T which has turned itself on whilst stored in it's case and connected via bluetooth to my mobile phone.
It really spooked me. :eek:
I sent an email to TomTom customer services. They told me that this was not possible and that the TomTom had a 'sensitive switch' whilst in a protective case. Uhh???? :confused: ....What a load of trash!
I'm sorry that you also have a problem but at least it's a relief to know that I'm not on my own and that maybe our TomToms are not posessed after all.

Hi, I'm really glad I found this forum. I have a TomTom GO520T which has turned itself on whilst stored in it's case and connected via bluetooth to my mobile phone.
It really spooked me. :eek:
I sent an email to TomTom customer services. They told me that this was not possible and that the TomTom had a 'sensitive switch' whilst in a protective case. Uhh???? :confused: ....What a load of trash!
I'm sorry that you also have a problem but at least it's a relief to know that I'm not on my own and that maybe our TomToms are not posessed after all.
Check your powersaver settings. You might have it set for the screen to turn off when it's not in use.

Are you running the latest application version 8.010 ?

If so, that may be your problem.

My 930 acted up AFTER updating from 8.002 to 8.010 !

I reinstalled my original application and my 930 runs perfect !

PSJ aka Marc

me too!

I have a TomTom One 3rd edition that I bought in June. After I found it on in the middle of the night twice, I emailed TomTom and they told me to do an update.

I did and I just came home and found it on again. It is sitting on a shelf where nothing could touch the on switch.

Same problem with TomTom ONE 3rd ed

I have the exactly same problem with my TomTom ONE 3rd ed. At first I thought I accidentally pushed the power button, but now that it has happened a few times and that I have come across this forum, I am convinced there is a problem. At least I am glad it seems to be a software rathern than a "hardware" problem :). I hope TomTom fixes this very soon.

Well, my experience was even freakier. I had just finished watching a horror movie. I turn off all the lights, and then, all of the sudden, tommy turns on. This, of course, spooked me, but when I went to shut it off, tommy blurts out "Exit Right Ahead!" I look to my right-- that's where my front door is-- and I seriously thought about throwing the door open and booking it out of there.

Well, my experience was even freakier. I had just finished watching a horror movie. I turn off all the lights, and then, all of the sudden, tommy turns on. This, of course, spooked me, but when I went to shut it off, tommy blurts out "Exit Right Ahead!" I look to my right-- that's where my front door is-- and I seriously thought about throwing the door open and booking it out of there.

Can you clear route? If so, do it. You shouldn't have to but for some it seems to help the turn on problem.

I've got both a 920 and a 930. The 920 turns on by itself about once or twice a week, sometimes more, the 930 occasionaly won't turn on at all without using the reset button depending on how often I've used it. We always clear the route before turning them off and I've used that clear flash tool on both of them a few times. I'm just attributing it to flakey software and putting up with it for now.
John

The same has happened to me several times (running latest 8.010). It's weird. I just guessed it had to do with the bluetooth on my phone interfering, but I have bluetooth disabled on my phone, and it's happened at least once with my phone in a totally different room. Weird!

The same happened to me at one of my last trip to Home Depot. I had taken my TT out of the car and shoved it in my windbreaker pocket. As I was walking down the aisle of electrical wires, I heard a voice saying ?You turn me on!? and I recognised the Juliette computer voice of my TT! ;) Since then, I always delete the last destination and hasn't occured since...

TomTom 510-710 turns on and off continuously BY ITSELF

I bought a TomTom 510 in Jan08. It was replaced once because of map problems. Now this "new" unit, which is now a 710 (I guess the new software changed it from a 510 to a 710) turns itself on and off continuously. I have sent a few emails to TomTom support but they haven't answered and I don't want to spend a few hours on the phone calling them like I did the last few times I had problems.

Does anyone know of any fixes for a unit that continuously turns itself on and off?

using wordpad create a blank text file and save it as poweroff.txt (save as .txt document). Then using a file manager rename it to poweroff (remove the .txt suffix)

save this and place in the root of your tomtom. it will stop the repeating poweron/poweroff issues.

don't ask me how or why, it just works.

This "poweroff" file in the root of the unit .. does this actually work? Because I've tried this, and I noticed no difference. Same random power on's throughout the day.

Am I doing something wrong? I created the blank file, named it "poweroff" with no extension, placed it in the root of the TomTom (Go920) .. didn't fix the problem.

Any idea why not?

yeah, I did .. and it didn't help.

What I just did is actually erase the internal memory and copied back the ORIGINAL files from when I first purchased the unit. Then I updated the map files to the latest versions (810) and all seems well. That said, I JUST did this not more than twenty minutes ago.

I will do some actual testing and see how it goes. So, technically speaking, it's too early to say whether or not this "reset" has fixed the problem.

On a side note, another reason for this whole "erase and reload" thing I did is I was having issues with the GPS showing me over on the next street while driving .. rendering the GPS rather useless.

Again, I will go out driving shortly just to test this out. But the weird thing is, it's an on and off issue. Within a single trip, it'll work for 10 minutes, then it suddenly shows me driving one street over to the right (sometimes left) .. strange I know. It'll show this incorrectly location for about 5 minutes, then back to the good location again for another 10 or so minutes.

It's hard to pinpoint what the exact problem is.

Either way, hopefully this software erase/rewrite will have fixed both of these issues: the positioning accuracy problem and the random power on problem.

Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

My ONE 130 has turned on by itself a few times too. Several times I tried to turn it on only to find it dead, but with the power cable plugged in it worked fine. Then one day it turned on as it was lying nearby; obviously the same thing had happened when it was unattended, and the battery had been drained.

Haven't had any other issues with it though.

--mark

Same here with TomTom One V3... At first I thought I had a battery problem as each time I came to use it the battery was totally dead. It was only whilst watching TV one night that a booming voice from nowhere made me jump out of my skin. Since then it has happened several times more and there seems to be no apparent reason for it. It is totally random and the unit can be sat around for days, maybe weeks before it magically springs to life. What's most annoying is that TomTom seem to be denying the problem and haven't addressed the issue at all. I do like the TomTom but it's things like this that make me want to switch to another brand... :(

Ask a Question