tomtom turns on by itself?

For whatever reason, sometimes the failure to Clear Route will cause the machine to turn on by itself.

If you went down to ver. 7.x it would stop turning on by itself, But... what ever map you had installed probably would no longer work with ver 7 firmware. :rolleyes:

I have a tomtom one v3 and tried the steps back a few posts to clean up the "corruption". That was a waste of a couple hours for sure, as it still turns itself on in a week. I can't believe they haven't fixed the problem in over 3 years. That is terrible product support. When it is time for a new navigator I will get something other than a tomtom for sure. And I think tomtom might get some target practic in the back yard so I can get some satisfaction :D

Mine has done some other things that make me not like it. Brand new the clear route icon was not there, so I could not clear the route. I think it took a few hard resets to get that working. And a couple times it decided that I was teleporting across side streets instead of driving 70mph down the freeway (I missed my exit because of that). And once it thought I left all known roads (and possibly the ground) and said I was doing 350mph. All those required a power cycle to get it back to earth. And the battery is junk now anyway, it goes from fully chaged to almost dead just sitting overnight.

Again I will say that I will never buy another tomtom again.

Well I have to say that mine has not gone that far out to space, basicly it gets me from here to there without much problem.
I just leave mine plugged into the computer most of the time to make sure the battery always stays charged or leave it in the vehicle or on the motorcycle if using again in a day or so. Have not had problems with that.
As you mentioned it will automaticly turn it's self on sometimes within a week and then sometimes it might be just two + weeks, yes you would think they would have found a fix for this by the 3 plus years I've had mine? haven't done the quarterly map updates for quite awhile, for me figured it was not a necessity at this time....:rant::rant::rant::blabla::blabla::wave::wave:

I just got my son's 510/710 unit. He upgraded to a better smart phone. He had problems with it booting up after trying to turn it off but never figured out what the problem was. In one response I read about deleting, editing or somehow changing a favorite. So far that's about the only thing I can do to get the unit to shut off and stay off. I've had to do this several times, 10 at least, in the 4 days that I've had this unit. I put in my neighbor's address across the street then shut it off. It usually stays off until the next time I use it. Then I have to go in and delete his address in order to get it to stay off again. That is a hassle but this unit works a whole lot better than the Omnitech unit I used to have. The Omnitech touch screen locked up and it turned into a glorified compass and not a gps anymore. It was less than a year old too. Bummer!

Last edited:
Well I'm glad to see, I'm not the only one with the problem. Mine goes on also, and suddenly I can hear it say "Turn right".. Kinda spooky. And it had been over a week since I'd used it last. Yesterday I say it had turned itself on again.

Very strange. I'm thinking I'll buy a version for my iPhone next time, I need a gps.

My tomtom One 3rd edition is 5 or 6 years old now, I've been happy with it (allthough I can always take about 15-20 minutes of the estimated time, and I follow the speedlimit)

Did you clear the route the last time you used the unit.

As well, have you updated to the latest application?

Ask a Question