tomtom turns on by itself?

Yep, read this sort of thing several times on this forum - and especially in this thread.

I've got to say that TomTom's lack of response (or not even admitting) to this on going problem has convinced me to look to a new vendor for my next GPS. My current TomTom has an old map and rather than paying for a new map, I'll probably get a new GPS... probably not another TomTom. Too bad as I really like their GUI (graphical user interface).

rather switch than fight

We switched to Garmin, have the Garmin n?vi 350 and the 260. They are about the same size, work
just as well, and stay off when turned off. I got them both on ebay for a reasonable price. The 350 has a
raise up antenna which can be an issue on a very sloped windshield but nothing that is a deal breaker
like the auto on issue of the TomTom. Michelle Ress

It appears to me that Tomtom has abandoned support of all its 2008 non-IQroutes models, which all have this auto-on bug. There have been no app updates to app 8.010 on these models since June 2008, so after 2 years I doubt there's any hope of a fix on the way.

It's a shame that this 2008 product lineup was still on store shelves in early 2010, with no bugfixes to be seen. It's especially unfair to recent purchasers of these models.

The good news is that none of the IQroutes models (anything launched in 2009 or later) have this bug, but that doesn't help any owners of the older devices.

One workaround that appeared to work for some owners is to update the application to an unsupported newer version. You can try the following steps to see if any of this works:

1) backup your device per these instructions
2) use winrar to extract the contents of this file to a folder on your c drive
3) after extracting the files, delete the "system" (no extension) file from the extracted files, so that the bootloader won't irreversibly update
4) copy the files (minus the removed "system" file) from your c drive to your tomtom, overwriting when prompted.

I sold my non-IQroutes Tomtoms, so I can't independently confirm whether any of this works, or if this unsupported app causes new problems. HOME definitely won't like the upgrade: Operate my Device won't work and HOME may not let you add things like mapshare/maps/quickgpsfix.

If you want to revert to a supported app, just follow these steps.

Noway

I will never ever buy another Tom Tom, I got a XL325 for Christmas. It turned itself on and if we didn't catch it in time it runs the battery down. Went through all sort of repairs with customer service (haha) uninstall and reinstall, repair scans, etc, Finally in April they had me send it in for repair and I got a XL320 refurbished one in return. Well, guess what it did the same thing and I had to go through all of the same things, I've spent hours on the phone with them. Well in June they told me to send it back and this time I got a XL310 in return. I think each time it is a cheaper model. Well, you guessed it this one turns itself on also. It doesn't matter where it is in the house or car, if it is not used it turns itself on. DO NOT BUY A TOM TOM, DO NOT BUY A TOM TOM.:eek:

I understand how you feel 'NOWAY'. I don't blame you one bit.

I've been looking at new GPS units this past month myself as my TT-3rd edition is now dated (still have old map - ver 7 firmware). I've not kept up on all the model changes or improvements, but I was surprised to find some TomTom units on the shelves (Office Depot, Office Max, etc) still loaded with old firmware and maps! When I click on the satellite icon, I see some with ver. 7 firmware and older maps installed. I know you get a free map upgrade when you purchase, but sure don't want to have to change the firmware too.

Guess I'll be checking out some different vendors also. The only reason I was considering taking chance on another TomTom, was their 'life time' maps and 'traffic'.

To bad they didn't give lifetime map updates to there old customers who got them where they are in the first place.... They suck, giving a older model as a replacement that's just not acceptable.. Yes my XL 325-ES turn on by itself.. I deal with it by keeping it where I can see it when it does.. It's right alongside the TV set.. when I see it come on I charge it the turn it off.. My other unit MY XL 340-S does not turn itself on.. It has IQ built in and guess that has something to do with it working right.. Ya Tom tom wanted me to return my 325-s because or other issues but decided to just live with them.. it will have map 840 in it till it dies.. George

I understand how you feel 'NOWAY'. I don't blame you one bit.

I've been looking at new GPS units this past month myself as my TT-3rd edition is now dated (still have old map - ver 7 firmware). I've not kept up on all the model changes or improvements, but I was surprised to find some TomTom units on the shelves (Office Depot, Office Max, etc) still loaded with old firmware and maps!
The outfits you mention typically don't change out the store demo units until they break or are no longer a stocked item, so it's not at all unusual for those to become and remain out-of-date. Providing their sales are any good at all, they're getting good stock rotation, and you should see at least newer (if not the latest and greatest) firmware and maps on units purchased from stock.
When I click on the satellite icon, I see some with ver. 7 firmware and older maps installed. I know you get a free map upgrade when you purchase, but sure don't want to have to change the firmware too.
It's no big deal to change firmware. From HOME, the process is pretty much the same as any other unit upgrade. Best to always check in here, though, to be sure the latest upgrade gives you more benefits than downside for your particular style of use of the unit.

Yep my XL 340 -S was much easier to update then my XL 325-ES, that one was a nightmare! For the XL340 - S , Make a EXPLORER BACKUP in windows and not a home backup.. Then all I did was connected to home and deleted all voices except the computer voice in my language. This was to make room. I then selected app upgrade and map upgrade at the same time.. said OK and walla it was dome in about 20mins without issues.. Wow what a difference from the day's, NO week ,when doing the 325-ES.. Maybe that too has to do with the IQ features in the 340-S..

One thing I would like to ask and that is,is there a place (link) on this site I can go to to see what the latest app and map fot the units I have .. This would make it easy to know how outdated my unit is and would help me decide if a update is in odder for me.. I live in the woods of New Hampshire and don't use the unit everyday so I may not need the latest version everytime it comes out.. .. Thanks for your help with this.. George

I have App 8.010 with v715.1689 UK maps, I presume I can go back to App 7.**** with no loss of functions to get around the 'Turn On Feature', If so, where can I get a version of App 7.*** from ?

You can get old versions of the App here:

Oldboy

You probably want ver. 7.166. That's the version I have working on my 3rd edition with ver. 7 map. Be sure to make a backup (using Windows Explorer NOT TomTom Home) before trying the older app. Good luck.

You can get old versions of the App here:

Oldboy

You probably want ver. 7.166. That's the version I have working on my 3rd edition with ver. 7 map. Be sure to make a backup (using Windows Explorer NOT TomTom Home) before trying the older app. Good luck.

Thanks Rick F, I have a Tomtom One 3rd Edition, I'm not sure what ver of App. it came with, I couldn't find 7.166 on the oldboy site only navcore_7.481.9086.gox20.cab do you know if this is compatable with my UK & ROI v715.1689?

Took me a while to work this one out as I didn't have it as a direct link (I do now though)

Click Here then use WinRar to extract the files from the download straight to the drive letter associated with your device - Mike

Took me a while to work this one out as I didn't have it as a direct link (I do now though)

Click Here then use WinRar to extract the files from the download straight to the drive letter associated with your device - Mike

Thanks for the link, However I have just realized why I probably went for App 8.010 in the first place, the app. history file says 8.010 supports the traffic receiver so if I go back to 7.166 I will lose it, I may have to settle for the power off + reset option. I also noticed in the history file that 8.010 started 'WEEKLY' speed camera updates, could this be the cause of the 7 day auto power up bug?

8,010 offers support for the mini USB style RDS Traffic receiver, the device has supported the earlier round plug RDS receiver since the One Third Edition was launched, as for TT releasing weekly Safety Camera updates thats a new one on me, then again I don't use them - Mike

8,010 offers support for the mini USB style RDS Traffic receiver, the device has supported the earlier round plug RDS receiver since the One Third Edition was launched, as for TT releasing weekly Safety Camera updates thats a new one on me, then again I don't use them - Mike

I have the round plug RDS receiver so it looks like going back to app 7.*** would be O.K.. A couple more questions, 1) does anybody have a list of the files avalable at download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore as It would be nice to know what is available, 2) when copying the un-rar'ed files to the tomtom some forums say don't copy the 'system' file in the root i.e. keep the original, Other say copy across ALL files, any comments?

1/ It took quite a while to find that 7,162 link, I know there are others such as 7,130 but without the next four digits in the number (the build number) I can't work out the URL for the download!

2/ The "System" file is the file that will clock the Boot Loader on the device, this can only ever increase it won't roll back to a prior (lower) number. In this instance you are going back to an earlier Navcore so if the System file contains a boot loader that is earlier than currently on your device it will be ignored - Mike

1/ It took quite a while to find that 7,162 link, I know there are others such as 7,130 but without the next four digits in the number (the build number) I can't work out the URL for the download!

maybe we can start to compile a list, here are a few to start with :-
navcore_7.162.8492.onev6.cab
navcore_7.221.8572.gox20.cab
navcore_8.010.9369.gox20.cab
8.415.xl2009_plus_tts.CAB-navcore-ONE_XL.cab

Note:- the last one is reported to work with One 3rd edition but not sure.

You need to be loading Navcore's intended for your device i.e. the "onev6" and that is part of the download URL, the others you list are for other devices, they might work with your device, than again they could also brick the unit turning in to a costly door stopper - Mike

Ask a Question