TomTom 720 turns itself on lately. Very annoying :(

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
2 times in the last 2 days my TomTom 720 has managed to turn itself on a few minutes after turning it off. I would shut it off, the screen would turn black, and then all of the sudden I'll see it turn itself on. I thought this issue was taken care of?

What's also weird is that this never happened to me before. It just started happening yesterday. Anyone else have this happen to them lately? :mad:

Darn! I assumed so too since the boards have been quiet lately about the auto turn on issue (maybe people are preoccupied with all the 8.3 problems :mad: )

Sage....was the unit docked or undocked when this happened? Was there a route 'sitting' in memory that you had not clleared? Anything else you can remember about what you were doing just prior to shutting the unit off each time? (sounds like a cop show, eh? :eek: )

Darn! I assumed so too since the boards have been quiet lately about the auto turn on issue (maybe people are preoccupied with all the 8.3 problems :mad: )

Sage....was the unit docked or undocked when this happened? Was there a route 'sitting' in memory that you had not clleared? Anything else you can remember about what you were doing just prior to shutting the unit off each time? (sounds like a cop show, eh? :eek: )

AHH! It happened again! I went to turn on the unit this morning and the damn thing was dead. Gave the low battery pic. I had it at FULL charge last night. I went to plug in my tomtom to test TomTom home to see if it was really down. so I let it charge for 2 minutes, turned on the device quickly, then shoved it on the cradle really fast and hit "yes" to connect to the PC, and mapshare updates downloaded just fine..

But anyways, WTF!?!? This is now the 3rd time it happened. This is the first time it turned on overnight and killed my device. :mad: :mad: The unit was undocked. Last night went to my friends house, I parked, shut the unit off, and still had a route saved. Then it turned back on minutes later, but last night on the way home, I cleared the route half way home while driving, so when I shut off the device when I reached my driveway, it had NO route in it. There's no clear reason why this happened.

Last edited:
Seriously, and these are just grasping at straws suggestions, do try the pin reset and the Clear Flash tool found here

In my experience, the restarts happen when TomTom is having problems writing to a file on shutdown. Do you have the app running on a SD card? If so you may be having problems with the card. Both times I have had the problem it has been the SD card. Once when I was using an SD card provided in a beta which was bad. The other time was when I was trying to get an 8GB card to work pre 8.3.

In my experience, the restarts happen when TomTom is having problems writing to a file on shutdown. Do you have the app running on a SD card? If so you may be having problems with the card. Both times I have had the problem it has been the SD card. Once when I was using an SD card provided in a beta which was bad. The other time was when I was trying to get an 8GB card to work pre 8.3.

I don't have any 3rd party apps since 8.3 wasn't happy with them. I'll reformat the card and load everything from scratch. If that doesn't work, I'll try another 4 giger I have around. It's not as fast though, and it's a micro sdhc card through an adapter since I use the card on my sidekick.

Jeez, first when my internal memory on the ONE XL was corrupting, the device kept rebooting and shutting off. Now the device WANTS to stay ON due to possible corruption again?

Boy I tell ya, these devices are something else :rolleyes:

Same thing happened to my GO 730 - we were eating dinner, it was sitting there on the shelf, and voila...it starts to speak!

I have also found that this happens when using the SD card, just like you said, Sage. I have since "refreshed" the device and did a clean install, and we have had no surprise wake-ups since.

That's very interesting and makes sense (device tries to do a write on shutdown but fails, so it reboots)

Weird thing is that I haven't been messing with my 720 that much but we'll see.. I'll re-do everything on the card first, then will try another if no luck.

Same thing happened to my GO 730 - we were eating dinner, it was sitting there on the shelf, and voila...it starts to speak!

I have also found that this happens when using the SD card, just like you said, Sage. I have since "refreshed" the device and did a clean install, and we have had no surprise wake-ups since.

As I'm typing this I'm making a backup of what's on my device. Gonna format it completely clean (full format, I know), and let Home install everything onto it from scratch. We'll see how it goes.

This is the first report I've read from someone using 8.30....We all know 8.010 had this problem.

Maybe this is caused from something other than the navcore app.

This is the first report I've read from someone using 8.30....We all know 8.010 had this problem.

Maybe this is caused from something other than the navcore app.

TomTom 720 retaliation towards Richard (me)

Currently loading the map onto the SD card. OS install went smooth. Now I wait for the map to finish, then voices, etc.

Everything installed great and everything seems good for now.

One neat feature about the new Home 2.5 I noticed is that now when you select "Disconnect Device," it disconnects it from Windows as well, so you no longer have to disconnect the device 2 times.

When I hit disconnect device from Home, the "safely remove icon" dissapears from Windows. Good work from TomTom so far :)

Just thought I would update and mention to you all that my device hasn't turned itself on anymore since I reinstalled everything from scratch. Thanks for the help! ;)

Ask a Question