tomtom turns on by itself?

I first thought I was going mad when this first happened, my Tomtom switching itself on. Whilst browsing the web I stumbled on this thread some months ago and have followed the many suggestions here and some of my own ideas. This thing refuses to stay off unless I use the "reset" pin method. As others have pointed out, it is slow to start, the battery remains charged and it stays off.

My point is that this is really a workaround for a faulty design (whether software or hardware) and sooner or later my reset switch will probably break because of the extra pressing, it is already taking more pressure to activate the reset.

When will the company acknowledge the issue? For some users this sort of bug from the ?the world's leading provider of navigation solutions? just erodes their credibility.

My Tomtom = ONE Third Edition 1GB / 4N01.002 App 8.010 Boot 5.5001

<snip>

When will the company acknowledge the issue? For some users this sort of bug from the ?the world's leading provider of navigation solutions? just erodes their credibility.

My Tomtom = ONE Third Edition 1GB / 4N01.002 App 8.010 Boot 5.5001

Good question. But, it's been nearly a year since this started happening (with ver. 8.xx firmware) with no one from the company acknowledging that this occurs. The company seems to be in denial.

I know that my next GPS won't be a TomTom. I'll explore other options.

This problem started showing up in ver. 8.xx. TomTom still denies this problem exists.

I do know that if you do a 'pin reset' (which turns unit off completely) the TT will not and can not turn itself on. BUT, it will take TT a bit longer to find the satellites after a cold boot. After it finds enough satellites (three I think), the clock will reset itself to the correct time. PLUS, there is absolutely no drain on the battery when you do this. You can turn it off (pin reset) and place it on the shelf for 6 months, and when you turn it on, the battery should show fully charged.

I would like to be able to shut down the operating system on my ONE 140S and not have it reboot until I turn it on again. I have done this on other Linux-driven gizmos, like the Sony eBook, by holding down the reset pin for 15 seconds. This saves the battery while it is not in use. But there doesn't seem to be a pin reset hole on the 140. Reset is done by holding down the on/off button for 15 seconds - but then the unit reboots, which is not what I want, I want it off. There has to be a way to do this; this is the state it was in when it came out of the box. Any ideas?

The latest Tomtom's don't have a pin, so they can never be truly "shut off".

I haven't seen anyone post a way of successfully turning them truly off.

The latest Tomtom's don't have a pin, so they can never be truly "shut off".

I haven't seen anyone post a way of successfully turning them truly off.

I think I have found a way to do this, without using reset. I connected my 140S to a USB port on a computer running Linux and then turned on the 140S. I got the "Connect to Computer" question, answered Yes, and could see in Linux that the USB system had indeed attached the 140S (as /dev/sda1). I didn't mount the file system, just waited for the screen on the 140S to settle down (no red X or flashing disk symbol). Then I pressed the on/off button and the 140S shut down immediately; no shutdown screen. Then I disconnected the 140S. Later, when I turned it on, I got the full startup routine: the TomTom logo, sometimes with sound effects, a yellow progress bar, eventually the Legal Notice screen, then the driving view. So I believe the OS was not running from the time I turned the 140S off while connected to the computer until the time I turned it back on.

I have been able to do the same thing under Windows XP but it's a bit more complicated because TomTom Home starts up as soon as I give the Yes answer. I shut down TomTom Home as soon as I could with File->Close (no Device->Disconnect) and then, when I was sure there was no red X on the 140S screen, I pressed the on/off button and got the same immediate shutdown as under Linux and the full startup routine the next time I turned on the 140S. But under certain circumstances under Windows and in TomTom Home the 140S would not respond to the on/off button, and under other circumstances it would reboot immediately after being turned off. I think the OS shuts down whenever the device is plugged into a computer and the Yes button is tapped; the issue is to keep it from rebooting after the on/off button is pressed to turn it off. I am not a Windows expert; perhaps someone who is can explain these phenomena better than I can.

TomTom support response

Response from TomTom support
Lazy-translated from swedish:

"I have now got back the case from our engineers. We currently have no solution to this problem. It is investigated at development level and a solution will most likely come in a future software update. When this will become available, we have unfortunately no information on."

My TomTom One 3rd edition began turning on by itself a few months ago right after i upgraded to app 8.010.

I am new here. I believe that I have read everything regarding this self-turn-on problem. But, in case I missed something that might conflict with my speculations, please post in reply.

My experiences so far:
---installing the latest fix file does not eliminate the problem
---the device turns on whether or not a route is programmed
--------if a route is programmed, I might hear it. if not, it silently depletes the battery.
---I am unable to find a preference to disable the device in the absence of external power

Speculations:
---since I installed the fixgps at the same time that I upgraded to 8.010, and
---since the fixgps is supposed to cause the device to download satellite position information (eg, which satellites should be above the horizon at any given time) to enable faster acquisition, and
---since the device turns on one week after its most recent prior use,
---I therefore believe that it may be turning on to download satellite position information.
---If that is true, and it is not able to acquire and to download the needed data, it might not turn off.

These speculations match my symptoms. Anyone care to comment on whether or not your symptoms are consistent? Thank you.

KNS
You might have hit the nail on the head re the 'fix GPS data' as I have noticed that my Tomtom is also coming on by itself exactly 1 week after it was last updated. The GPS data is also only good for about that time so it would indeed be looking to update itself. This has been going on for the better part of a year now. Surely Tomtom must have people onboard who can handle this software fix?????

Update navcore seems to fix it

I updated my Tomtom One V3 with a new navcore, 8.410 (from 8.016) and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I updated my Tomtom One V3 with a new navcore, 8.410 (from 8.016) and that seems to have fixed the problem.

That application isn't designed for the One V3. Usually, mismatched applications will function on a basic level, but you may get weird menu errors and random crashes. That is a very stable application for the One IQroutes/140 that it's designed for, so you never know if it'll be better or worse off in the long run.

You should also keep in mind....The application ( navcore ) contains a file named " system " which is the bootloader.

Using the wrong bootloader can destory destroy your TT.

Also note....bootloader's can only be upgraded NOT downgraded....so if you get in trouble....you can NOT go back !

Even if you decide to install or reinstall the correct navcore or even your old backup....you will still have the new bootloader.

You should also keep in mind....The application ( navcore ) contains a file named " system " which is the bootloader.

Using the wrong bootloader can destory destroy your TT.

Also note....bootloader's can only be upgraded NOT downgraded....so if you get in trouble....you can NOT go back !

Even if you decide to install or reinstall the correct navcore or even your old backup....you will still have the new bootloader.

Just format your tomtom and you can install whatever you want.

That application isn't designed for the One V3. Usually, mismatched applications will function on a basic level, but you may get weird menu errors and random crashes. That is a very stable application for the One IQroutes/140 that it's designed for, so you never know if it'll be better or worse off in the long run.

If you stay away from the mp3-player it should be fine.
Works for me so far.

caution - lengthly

930 with OS 8.302 bought in May 2008 and never had the self power up problem.

Well, since about two weeks a go I joined this elusive club.
There may have been an instance a couple of months ago which I thought might just have been my inattention but I now believe it was the same problem.

Since the hand held cell phone while driving ban I take the GPS on all drives when alone and keep it in a zippered soft pouch in the center console.

About two months ago, while driving, no route planned and plugged in to the cigar lighter the phone rang through the TomTom. I tapped for answer and said 'Hello' and got 'Hello' in return. I asked 'Who is calling' and got the reply "This is the XYX Pharmacy, what are you calling about?' the other voice said 'No, you are calling us, what is it all about/'. I said something must have gone wrong with my mobile phone, apoligised and hung up.
At home I looked at Recent Calls on the cell phone and saw a local number dialed with a preceding 1 for Long Distance. Checked out the number on the computer and it was the XYZ Pharmacy. Oddly it was in the outgoing calls register.
I thought of this as an odd fluke and put it out of my mind.

Two weeks ago, I am driving to a dentist and decided, while driving to enter his address with the remote just to see how much time the was. I didn't know the number on the street or the nearest cross road and as the traffic got heavy I decided not to proceed with programming and eased myself out to the driving view.
Just after that the phone rang, I said 'Hello' the other vice said 'This is Dr. ABC's Office' and I said that she didn't have to worry as I am on my way for the 1420h appointment. She asked 'Which Doctor', I gave the name and she said that there is no doctor of that name and said this is the UVW Medical Center. I apologised an hung up.

An hour later coming from the dentists office I connected the 930 to be ready for incoming calls.
Two minutes after driving off the phone rings and it says 9-1-1 Emergency Service. I immediately replied that there was no emergency and that my cell phone had dialed out by itself. and that I was disconnecting it.
Pushed the off button and pulled the power cord.
Passing a strip mall I went in there and stopped, now wondering if a clutch of police cruisers would descend on me.
I got out my phone and found the screen lit displaying LOCKED FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY.
I was now quite certain the provider supplied the 911 services with my location.
I opened the back of the phone and removed the battery.
Put it back in and the phone went to its regular stand by screen.

When I got home I powered up the 930 and the Help me screen appeared, not the standard start up screen.

I meant to write about it in the forum and when I saw the revival of this thread, I read all the messages before posting this.

BTW
The yellow progress bar comes on when disconnection from HOME.
The "I Agree" only shows the first time the device is switched on after having been connected through HOME.
Earlier today, and this happens often, putting the unit in the cradle, it reads and says Connected to SCH-u510 and the freezes. Can only unfreeze it by taking it from the cradle and pressing the off button. It then starts the black TomTom start up screen as when connecting to HOME although the unit is still hand held. After putting it in the cradle if will the ask if I want to connect to the computer and everything is normal from then on.

Wow! :eek:

I know you don't want to upgrade to 8.351 to screw up the bluetooth connectivety on your unit but just for the heck of it, do an Explorer backup, reformat the internal and restore.

I know you don't want to upgrade to 8.351 to screw up the bluetooth connectivety on your unit but just for the heck of it, do an Explorer backup, reformat the internal and restore.
I am pretty sure that I was still using 8.351 when the first instance occured two months ago.
I'll monitor that for a bit. If further troubles reformatting seems to be in the books.

Add on to my earlier post.
After replacing the battery on the cell phone I checked Call History > Dialed Calls and there was no reference to the 911 call.

American cell phones are set up to go into a special emergency mode with 911. It transmits your GPS location from the phone's internal GPS, and it autoroams on any network it finds (ignoring the built-in preferred roamer lists). Some phones don't undo themselves from this mode until you pull the battery, your phone must be one of them.

Try deleting and repairing the phone. Sometimes Tomtom's get so messed up with bluetooth that you need to pair tham all over again.

You're wrong.

This application version (8.41) *IS* designed with (or at least operates on) the TomTom ONE devices (including the V3).

You have to call TomTom to get a link to the update.

You're wrong.

This application version (8.41) *IS* designed with (or at least operates on) the TomTom ONE devices (including the V3).

You have to call TomTom to get a link to the update.

App 8.41x is designed for the 2009 ONE IQroutes model, called the 140 in the US.

It is not designed for the older 2008 ONE-30 model, called the 125 or 130 in the US. However, as you mentioned it appears to work.

In general almost all Tomtom applications will work at a basic level on devices they're not intended for. They sometimes fix some bugs, and sometimes introduce new bugs or crashes, especially with more advanced features.

As mentioned by a few of our members, it appears app 8.410 helps more than it hurts on the 2008 hardware.

App 8.41x is designed for the 2009 ONE IQroutes model, called the 140 in the US.

1. To correct my statement slightly, TomTom provided 8.014 for the ONE Third Edition. The filename is incidentally named "...8410..." hence the confusion.

2. We're not "jury-rigging" our devices with "software not designed for it." TomTom - in its usual scumbag fashion - is holding back on widely distributing this through HOME. So you have to call, open a case, then receive a download link.

Your commentary on whether 8.41x does or does not work is not a solution. Actually, it doesn't help at all.

If you owned a Third Edition that was turning on by itself - and draining the battery - you would want a fix (after over a year of denial by TomTom).

8.014 is that fix (I hope).

Ask a Question