tomtom turns on by itself?

I have had this problem as I mentioned last year, but I will just have to say that the One XL has not reared it's ugly head and turned it's self on from quite a few months now. I have done nothing different now than before either, I do update mine at least once a week (did that before ) and so far I'm doing good. Mine is over two years old;;;;;;:D

Same problem here. I returned my TomTom xl because the battery would not charge and it would turn on when not in use. So I returned under warranty thinking that the turning on problem would be repaired. But got the new one today and the battery charges but still turns on and kills the battery.

TOMTOM please come up with a solution!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the " poweroff " file....this does NOT work !

It may have worked long ago on some of the old units and old navcore versions but not any more !
I was wondering if anyone still experiences this after turning the TomTom off using the Exit application button.

I think a XL my have this button in it's navcore menu by default.
If you are like PSJ and have a x20/x30 then:

Create a TomTom.mnu file in the SDKRegistry folder
Try adding the text bellow to the TomTom.mnu.
It will just add the one button to see if it works.

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|"Exit Application"|
MENUITEM|TASK_EXIT_APP|

To go back to your default menu after testing this then DELETE the TomTom.mnu file

Me, My brother, and my parents all have Tomtom ONE Third Editions. All of them do this, and have been doing this for quite a while. They were bought at different times, from different stores. Mine started doing this after a firmware update (don't remember which one, but it was over a year ago).

I've timed it: Mine turns itself on exactly 7 days after I last turned it off. I do not leave it plugged in when not in use.

If I leave a route programmed, it will eventually fire a voice command (letting me know it's on). If I clear the route, it still turns on, but doesn't say anything. It sits on a table, undisturbed when not in use. (No chance of the button getting pressed). Needless to say, I like leaving a route programmed so I know when it turns itself on & can turn it off, so I have battery when I need it.

I've had it wake me up in the middle of the night several times (getting in late a week before).

Called Tomtom support a few weeks after it started happening, the agent said they "I haven't heard of that problem, but if there is a problem, they are probably working on a fix, so make sure to keep it updated" -- again, over a year ago now.

I'm guessing it's a software problem (since it wasn't occurring when I first got it).

What application are you running on your unit? Is it the same version as the other units?

What application are you running on your unit? Is it the same version as the other units?

I haven't updated mine within the last few weeks (it just turned on about 30 minutes ago, which reminded me of the problem), it is:
Tomtom ONE Third Edition 1GB / 4N01.003
App 8.010 (9369/080529) / OS: 190943
GPS v1.21 / Boot 5.5001

I know the other units are being updated and are still running into the problem.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.........

Download and run (3 times) the Clear flash tool found here.

If you find the unit still turns on by itself, then.........

Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Reformat your unit's drive.

Use Explorer to return your backed up copy to the unit.

Back last year when user's where having this problem mine started doing it also, several times in 2-3 months it did turn on by it's self, I didn't do anything in particular that I remember except rebacking up the TT and a few times and all of a sudden it has stopped, I usually update mine several times weekly and it does get used several times a week, I can truthfully say that the problem has not occurred in 09. TT One XL which is approx. two years old, just bought the new USA Map and joined the quartley updates last month, definetly like the new features that came along with the updates..........John

As far as I know, TomTom is still denying that this problem exists. This problem started showing up in ver. 8.xx. I do know that if you do a 'pin reset' (which turns unit off completely) the TT will not turn itself on. BUT, it will take TT a bit longer to find the satellites after a cold boot.

Last edited:
I've heard success with people completely reformatting and reinstalling everything on the Tomtom.

Step 1) backup your device per this link
Step 2) format your tomtom drive
Step 3) do a pin reset
Step 4) Run update my ONE in HOME, to redownload the application. If HOME asks to reboot in this process, don't let it. Instead say no, wait a 10-20 seconds, click the blue disconnect button on the lower-right of home, wait 10-20 more seconds, then unplug/replug the Tomtom from your computer. Repeat step 4 until you have app 7.9 or later. If it says no update available and you're not at app 7.9 or later, do a pin reset then repeat step 4.
Step 5) Install your map from "add traffic, voices, ..." then "items on your computer". If there are no maps on your computer, then copy the "USA and Canada" folder from your backup to the Tomtom
Step 6) Download your one preferred voice
Step 7) Run update my ONE, and download everything offerred (mapshare, quickgpsfix, etc)

Last edited:
I have the TomTom One 125, and it also turns itself on. I bought it in December 2008 and it didn't seem to start doing it until the last few months. It must have happened after one of the updates done on TomTom Home, but I can't pinpoint it. I am on version 8.014 with maps version 815.2022

I am still under warranty until December 2009. If I return the unit, will they just send me a refurbished unit of the same model (and possibly older maps). This really bugs me.

I have the TomTom One 125, and it also turns itself on. I bought it in December 2008 and it didn't seem to start doing it until the last few months. It must have happened after one of the updates done on TomTom Home, but I can't pinpoint it. I am on version 8.014 with maps version 815.2022

I am still under warranty until December 2009. If I return the unit, will they just send me a refurbished unit of the same model (and possibly older maps). This really bugs me.

Just so you know....there is NOTHING wrong with the device....the problem is with the navcore software.

Meaning sending it back won't help....You can help yourself by rolling back the problem version of your navcore to a version before the problem started.

This problem seems to have started with version 8.010.

Most of the application turn-on/reboot buginess was resolved in the ONE/XL models. The format instructions below usually fix the problems.

Just be sure that before you disconnect or let HOME restart the Tomtom, that the red X (write in progress warning) on the Tomtom goes away first. HOME has an issue where it disconnects before waiting for the write cache to flush.

There are still reboot issues with the 920/930 that were introduced in app 8.010, but they don't seem to impact the ONE/XL models.

One 3rd Ed Turns on by itself

My TomTom One 3rd edition began turning on by itself a few months ago right after i upgraded to app 8.010.

I am new here. I believe that I have read everything regarding this self-turn-on problem. But, in case I missed something that might conflict with my speculations, please post in reply.

My experiences so far:
---installing the latest fix file does not eliminate the problem
---the device turns on whether or not a route is programmed
--------if a route is programmed, I might hear it. if not, it silently depletes the battery.
---I am unable to find a preference to disable the device in the absence of external power

Speculations:
---since I installed the fixgps at the same time that I upgraded to 8.010, and
---since the fixgps is supposed to cause the device to download satellite position information (eg, which satellites should be above the horizon at any given time) to enable faster acquisition, and
---since the device turns on one week after its most recent prior use,
---I therefore believe that it may be turning on to download satellite position information.
---If that is true, and it is not able to acquire and to download the needed data, it might not turn off.

These speculations match my symptoms. Anyone care to comment on whether or not your symptoms are consistent? Thank you.

KNS

The following is an update providing more recent experience with the weekly-self-turn-on problem.

Following several weekly battery depletions I contacted TomTom product support via the website on 1/4/2010. The email reply mistakenly addressed a battery charging problem. I called TomTom product support with the following results - your results may vary.
---I asked the first rep if I could revert to software version 7.166 (which came with my device and does not exhibit the same problem.) The answer was yes and I was sent a link and instructions. The result was that the software could not access the map (version 825.2159) loaded on the device.
---I called again and the second rep said that software version 8.014 would fix the problem. He sent a link and instructions. The result was that the device "looped" continuously through the first phase of setup, shutdown and restart.
---I called a third time and was advised to use TomTom HOME to remove and then reinstall the software. The result was more looping.

The support reps made sincere efforts to help but are either not familiar with this problem or do not have a legitimate solution for it.

The next few steps were taken on my own:
---As recommended elsewhere in this thread, I formatted the flash memory in the device and then copied the previously saved contents (software version 8.010 and the map version noted above) from the pc back to the device. The result was more looping.
---I then used the feature of TomTom HOME v.2.7 that allows operation of the device via the pc keyboard. Surprisingly, this allowed me to interrupt the looping behavior and to complete the entire setup procedure. After shutting down and disconnecting the device, it behaved normally when turned back on. I suspect, but do not yet know, that the weekly-self-turn-on problem will still be present.

The bottom line is that if you have the better part of a day to kill and are willing to endure frustration and the risk of turning your TomTom device into a door stopper, go ahead and attempt to eliminate the weekly-self-turn-on problem before TomTom provides a suitable software upgrade. Until an upgrade is available, I plan to run the device at least once each week.

KNS

Last edited:
Try mvl's suggestion of:
1. Making a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
2. Formatting the drive.
3. Restoring the backup again using Explorer.

Download and run (3 times) the Clear flash tool found here.

If you find the unit still turns on by itself, then.........

Make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Reformat your unit's drive.

Use Explorer to return your backed up copy to the unit.
Tried both of these methods (independently), and neither solved the problem.

Any other ideas, besides downgrading navcore?

This problem started showing up in ver. 8.xx. TomTom still denies this problem exists.

I do know that if you do a 'pin reset' (which turns unit off completely) the TT will not and can not turn itself on. BUT, it will take TT a bit longer to find the satellites after a cold boot. After it finds enough satellites (three I think), the clock will reset itself to the correct time. PLUS, there is absolutely no drain on the battery when you do this. You can turn it off (pin reset) and place it on the shelf for 6 months, and when you turn it on, the battery should show fully charged.

There's a "better way to format" that you may want to try:

1) backup per this link
2) format the tomtom, make sure "quickformat" is disabled
3) copy only your map folder (USA_and_Canada) back to the Tomtom
4) let Tomtom HOME renstall the application and voices

Each time HOME asks you to reboot/disconnect, again make sure the red X isn't showing, so that all writes are complete.

This may help you better. If it still doesn't work, another option is to use winrar to extract this file onto the tomtom.

Hopefully one of these fixes the auto turn-on issue for you.

Ask a Question