tomtom start shows road backward

TomTom Model(s)
start
I have just purchased a tomtom start and it worked well in the beginning and it is now 3 weeks old and when I used it the yesterday, it showed the road backward but the sign at the bottem is correct and the voice instruction is correct as well. It is annoying when going to a round about and you just peek at the device and I have taken the wrong exit a few times. Has anybody experienced this before and is there a solution?

Yes there is a easy fix but I forgot how to fix it but I can tell you it a simple click check your settings

When you say "shows the road backward" do you mean that if you were travelling north (for example), then it shows you travelling south?
Or did you mean something else entirely?

I'm also trying to get a handle on what you are seeing. As you look at the streets you are crossing on the map, are they correct? It sounds as though what you mean is that the map view is inverted from what you expected. Are you in the 2D view or the 3D view when this happens? Some units are configurable for "up = north" or "up = my direction of travel".,

When I travel,the arrow shows backward and I am travelling southbound instead of Northbound but the sign at the bottom that shows direction is correct and the voice command is also correct

Ah, OK. I have had this happen to me exactly ONE time, and it was the strangest thing to watch. It was like a rear view mirror view of things! Happened on my GO740 Live unit. I even mentioned it somewhere here but no idea where that thread might be.

Mine self-corrected after I rebooted it. You don't say which Start you purchased, or whether it was new or used, so cannot guess at the age. The original Start and Start2 were 2009 and 2010 models, respectively, and had a small hole in the bottom where you can insert a paperclip to (carefully) depress a switch to do a reset of the unit. Only takes a second or two to reset.

The more recent Start models (Start20, Start25) require that you hold the power switch down for 20 seconds or so until you hear the drum beat, at which point you must release the switch immediately.

I'd love to see a video of that!
I've never heard of it happening before.

Had I only had the opportunity - would have LOVED to have sent it to TT to watch. It really was as though I had been looking out the rear window of the car instead of the windshield. I was seeing where I'd been, not where I was going. The map orientation was correct for the direction the car icon, but the device hadn't yet understood that our vector was 180 out from the display, even though we were moving right on down the road.

This happened to me today driving from Seattle to Portland. If it weren't for the voice directions being correct I'd never have found my destination. I will try the reset tomorrow. Very annoying!

Ask a Question