TomTom Start 25 Backing up

TomTom Model(s)
ONE & START 25
Hi everyone,

I've operated my "TomTom ONE" for many years and used the installed "TomTom HOME" utility to access the device via my PC's USB. I could also use "TT HOME" to make a "Back-up" of my TomTom ONE" for safety reasons and even see all contents that were installed on the unit within Windows Explorer. i.e. System files, Voices, Sounds, folders etc

Today I bought a new "TomTom Start 25," which is the "TT Start 20" by all accounts but with a larger screen. However I cannot see any way to make a "Back-up" of this new "TT Start 25" as with the old "TT ONE." In fact when I attach my new TT to my PC via USB it does not show anything in my Windows 7 Explorer anymore, it just opens up the newly installed software "MyTom Tom" for accessing and adding POI etc.

Is there any way to make a full restoreable back-up of my new TomTom Start 25 and all its essentials? I would hate to corrupt it in some way and not be able to restore it.

Just an after thought, I notice the new "TT Start 25" has what appears to be a MicroSD slot near the USB port but I cannot find any info on its use, any ideas on that one :confused:

Thanks for viewing my post,

John in the UK

You can't make a backup with the Start25 as the user has no access to the file system.

That model does indeed have a SD slot which can be enabled with the latest application. See here:
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/car-navigation/start-25-europe/#tab:specifications

But see this post about remaining issues with some Start models:
---------------------------------------------------------------
the SD card slot has been enabled on your device as well with the update to 11.030 and 11.031.

There are only some issues remaining on TT's end concerning some of the Start devices. Those still not being able to install the latest maps to SD card are the ones where the serial numbers start with the following characters:

BL, BN, AP, AS

For those devices the map isn't being offered or the map isn't installable to the SD card due to a problem in TT's back-end. They know about this problem and are working to solve it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUT...................

The issue seems to be only with models that came with preinstalled SD cards. It seems if you get a sd micro card from elsewhere, it should be ok.........

Last edited:
Hi dhn,

Thanks for the info, very welcomed. No real back up utility for the present is quite alarming.

Surely TomTom are not of the opinion that their devices are totally reliable and unlikely to fail?

I seem to recall the Titanic didn't need lifeboats for all passengers because the ship was unsinkable. :)

Kindest regards,

John

The good news, such as it is, is that you are able to back up all of your 'personal' content (Favorites, POIs, voices, etc.) using MyTomTom, and the way the new MyTomTom works, there's a way of getting back to the last known good firmware, and the maps that belong with your unit can always be made available via MyTomTom as well.

So while, like you, I'd much rather have the ability to do a full backup on these newer units, at least there's a way of digging most of them out of whatever ditch they get into.

Ask a Question